PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > Game Mechanics Discussion

Old 01-19-2010, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Game Testing

This is the thread to put down your impressions about the game AFTER you tested it.

What do I need from your feedback to rearrange the rules:

1) Time that it took to play one of the games I suggest.
2) Impressions about lethality of weapons and movement of units.
3) Fluidity of the game.
4) Confusing rules.
5) Photos of the game table.
6) Degree of tactical possibilities, range from 1 (not tactical at all) to 5 (very tactical).
7) Differences felt between opposing ships.
8) Would you keep playing this game, after streamlined?
9) A brief description of the game.
Google Adsense
Old 01-19-2010, 02:24 PM

Four hours results (I forgot to print more bases)

Pretty sturdy (laminated with 0,5mm card)

Will try to make some tests now
Old 01-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
nice work! good little fleet
Old 01-19-2010, 02:48 PM

This is so nice! I'm waiting for my brother to bring me my camera so that I can take some shots at my fleet.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:41 PM

First fully documented game

Brief Description:

Commodore Johnson was an able commander. So full of confidence that when he met the first Hecate ships he diced into the fray confident in his superior tactical attributes, although everything else was against him. With his crew of veterans and inside his Mars Class Cruiser he turned his bow toward the two enemy cruisers approaching. That did surprise them, and in the first exchange of blows, the "Star of Dawn" did score some solid hits. But the number and class of his enemies would make Commodore Johnson run for it...

Starting forces:

Humans:
Mars Class Cruiser
Commodore Johnson CQ5

Hecate:
2 Shagorn Class Cruisers
T'de Hasnn'n CQ3

Victory Conditions:
Human:
Overwhelming victory: Both Hecate cruisers destroyed
Victory: One of the Hecate Cruisers destroyed
Minor Victory: Leaving game in the Hecate side with more damage made than received and a minimum of 6 points of damage delivered

Hecate:
Victory: Human Cruiser destroyed
Minor Victory: Human Cruiser destroyed and one Hecate Cruiser Destroyed

Players:
Humans - Blackronin
Hecate - Blackronin better half. (Inês says that from now on she will play the Hecate... Wonder why?!)

First turn:

Initiative:
Human 11 / Hecate 2

Movement:
Both Hecate cruisers moved first advancing fast toward the middle of the playing table. The human cruiser turned to the right side of the table and closed in with cruiser 2.

Fire:
The human cruiser hit with its heavy lasers and scored 3 hits at long range. No critics though. The light laser hit 4 times but no damage penetrated.

The Hecate couldn't fire with the most potent weapons. Very short range, but hit furiously with the pulsing crushers dealing one hit. And fired 2 torpedoes that were stopped cold by the PD weapons. The Hecate female said: "Oh I see, I must get closer."

Second turn:

Initiative:
Human 9 / Hecate 3 The Hecate female said: "I'll get another die..."

Movement:
Both Hecate cruisers moved first losing both half the movement to make a tight turn in order to possibly take the human cruiser out of their tails. The human cruiser moved again away from Hecate cruiser 1 and stayed in the rear port side of cruiser 2.

Fire:
The human cruiser hit with its heavy lasers and scored 2 hits at long range. No critics again. The light laser hit 2 times and made 1 point of damage. Hecate Cruiser 2 had now 6 points of damage... The human commander start singing his annoying version of the Star Wars Imperial March and the Hecate female said: "Do you want me to keep playing?" The human commander stop singing...
The Hecate cruiser fired its 4 pulsing crushers, hit with one and scored a critical hit. No more PD! It's time to run to mommy, the human commander thought to himself...

Third turn:

Initiative:
Human 6 / Hecate 7 The Hecate female said: "(Roughly translated from the Hecate lingua... ah... portuguese... ) Another die, another day..."

Movement:
The human player gave 6 points to his cruiser and the Hecate female gave seven points to cruiser 1. Hecate cruiser 2 moved first losing half his movement to make a tight turn moving closer to Hecate cruiser 1. The human cruiser moved parallel to Hecate cruiser 2 and toward the Hecate edge of the table. Cruiser one closed in. It's frontal weapons all focused on the human cruiser.

Fire:
The human cruiser hit with its 2 light lasers from the stern side and scored 1 hit at long range. Hecate Cruiser 2 couldn't hit with anything at all. The Hecate female said: "You don't have PD, do you?" The human commander felt miserable.
The Hecate cruiser fired its 10 pulsing crushers, hit with three and scored a critical hit. Primary weapons at half! Then she rolled the four Howling torpedoes. Failed to do damage with one, made two points of damage with the other two and delivered 15 in 3D6 with the last exploding with Commander Johnson ship. He would leave the table the next turn...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fighting Widrawal.jpg (34.8 KB, 7 views)
Google Adsense
Old 01-20-2010, 03:44 PM

Things to possibly change:

PD - hit with 5 or 6 and not just with 6.
Weapons range. - change the weapon ranges from weapons one step up.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:37 AM

It's fine to read, but not very precise:
- what was the beginning position of ships relative to themselves (distance, directions etc.)
- precise measurements (how much did the ship move, what angle did it turn),
- how many and which dices thrown (and why), numbers thrown, resulting effects.

Try to write the result in such a way that we can put the models on our table and recreate it. Very helpful are vertical photos, or sketches of ships positions and movements.

I know it's boring and tedious, but otherwise we are left with incomplete information.

Now I can't ask many precise questions - like why those dices when it is written tha those should be used, at which you might answer "oh it was my mistake" or "no, the rules at point 2.x say use this dice" - in both cases we learn sth. Now I'm only left with an overall feeling of the game.

Btw. - wise way to start playing with someone new to a game - give them advantage so they can likely win and get hooked. Must remember for the future
Old 01-21-2010, 07:46 AM

I've done that in the second game. I didn't uploaded it yet because I didn't had the time to pass it to digital text. And I didn't want to stop the first game where Inês was learning to take extensive notes so that she didn't get bored in the beginning. Wait for the second game where I was ass kicked again... :(
Old 01-21-2010, 08:12 AM

I understand the reason for not doing extensive notes in the first game. And I'm sure you'll have no problem now with asking your better half to ass kick you again :D
Old 01-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
thanks for the run through how long did the whole thing last?
Google Adsense