PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Gary Pilsworth's projects

Old 02-23-2013, 05:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I sympathise Gary.

I'm currently trying to access one of my portable USB archive drives.
Hundreds of pdo and pdf files on there.

I made the mistake of leaving it connected for a week, and windows decided to move my MFT onto it, almost filling it, and now the disk directory has become unreadable, so nothing is accessable.

After experimenting with several applications I've now found that Acronis True Image is able to back it up, as it bypasses the directory and just rips the raw data to the back up. I'm currently held up though as I haven't got a spare HDD big enough to hold the back up, which will include the MRT that's filling the 150GB duff disk.

I've put the feelers out for a spare IDE HDD though. Most people have upgraded to SATA disks now, so there should be a glut of IDE drives around, and I'm hopefull of saving at least some of the data.

Johnny.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:40 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
I sympathise Gary.

I'm currently trying to access one of my portable USB archive drives.
Hundreds of pdo and pdf files on there.

I made the mistake of leaving it connected for a week, and windows decided to move my MFT onto it, almost filling it, and now the disk directory has become unreadable, so nothing is accessable.

After experimenting with several applications I've now found that Acronis True Image is able to back it up, as it bypasses the directory and just rips the raw data to the back up. I'm currently held up though as I haven't got a spare HDD big enough to hold the back up, which will include the MRT that's filling the 150GB duff disk.

I've put the feelers out for a spare IDE HDD though. Most people have upgraded to SATA disks now, so there should be a glut of IDE drives around, and I'm hopefull of saving at least some of the data.

Johnny.
You might get lucky at a computer fair...you might get one that's been tested really cheap, or several that haven't for a few quid - the luck of the draw with that.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 343.62 MB
I too lost a hard drive due to a faulty cooling fan. Without it, there were hot spots on the drive, and the one that did it was on the FAT file. No drive C found was the message. I cooled the drive for several days, then used linux Ubuntu to bring it up and found about 95% of my material. I kept watching the temperature as well, because as soon as it reached 70 degrees it would start to falter. I set the old drive as a slave and used a new one as the master, then transferred as much as I could in the shortest time. Took about a week to get it all done. I'm a firm believer in backups.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
Sorry to here about your problem gary on another note I to belive in backing up files i have a external hard drive that i allways back up my files on along with a dozen flash drives that i back up the the same files on