PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > General game discussion

Old 01-15-2010, 12:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
bah, I should have read around and lurked more, lol
Old 01-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
yeah - there is a lot to catch up on for ya feel free to poke around and give input as desired! all help is appreciated
Chris
Old 01-17-2010, 06:07 AM

Hi Chris, as I wrote on Papermodelers, there is the option of going hex with the game - it simplifies everything as you need no measurements, and that makes the game fast flowing, with possible strategic motives including tactical maneuvers like envelopment, attack from behind and so on which are hard to implement in slow-going games like Warhammer where you play for an hour just to get the soldiers to fight.

In other words in this game I'd opt for entire units represented by one model moving on hexes.

Hexes are easy to make, and they allow for compartmental gametop assembling - both players can bring their hexes, compose the battlefield and draw straws who chooses the side to place their army.

You could even put nice hexes or entire battletop sets of hexes as a separate models to download in shop and print for yourself. They would be layered, with inserts which would make building a battlefield similar to building from Lego blocks.

Hex battlefields can be used in all phases - fight in space with spaceships fighting in space and on planet orbit, strategic combat with armies fighting on the planet surface, tactical combat with units fighting on a battlefield and even skirmish where several troopers are fighting in a building or a military camp (commando type operation)

Because of the hex speed you can play entire scenarios at one go - with phases from attack from space to tactical combat

If you allow I'd open a separate thread about hexes.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehcyfer View Post
Hi Chris, as I wrote on Papermodelers, there is the option of going hex with the game - it simplifies everything as you need no measurements, and that makes the game fast flowing, with possible strategic motives including tactical maneuvers like envelopment, attack from behind and so on which are hard to implement in slow-going games like Warhammer where you play for an hour just to get the soldiers to fight.
It really doesn't simplify everything. Just measurement. Fire arcs, if done properly are as complex in a hex grid has are without it.

Warhammer is a bad game. I know that there are a lot of people playing it and that like it and I don't want to argue with anyone, but as a system, it's a bad system so we should not consider it when comparing with what we can do.

There are good hexes based games and good non hexes based games, we couldn't decide for one or for the other. Starmada is an excellent Hex game, Full Thrust is an excellent non hex system.

But we are dealing with a game that will live of PAPER MODELS and I think that a Hexed game will be a bad choice with this philosofy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehcyfer View Post
In other words in this game I'd opt for entire units represented by one model moving on hexes.

Hexes are easy to make, and they allow for compartmental gametop assembling - both players can bring their hexes, compose the battlefield and draw straws who chooses the side to place their army.

You could even put nice hexes or entire battletop sets of hexes as a separate models to download in shop and print for yourself. They would be layered, with inserts which would make building a battlefield similar to building from Lego blocks.

Hex battlefields can be used in all phases - fight in space with spaceships fighting in space and on planet orbit, strategic combat with armies fighting on the planet surface, tactical combat with units fighting on a battlefield and even skirmish where several troopers are fighting in a building or a military camp (commando type operation)

Because of the hex speed you can play entire scenarios at one go - with phases from attack from space to tactical combat

If you allow I'd open a separate thread about hexes.
That is an overall messy idea for a tactical game system. If it was strategic game, I'd say yes (Twillight Imperium is an hex example - not a fast game to play though )

I like individual units in almost every aspect of the game. That was fundamental for the inicial idea from Chris.

C'mon Chris, set it to stone.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:51 AM

What's with the fire arcs? I understand artillery pieces as firing forward, so would fire only through three walls of the hex - the one faced and two on the forward sides, but tanks with rotating towers can shoot in all directions. Some hexes with forest or hills for example would block field of vision/line of fire, but artillery for example can shoot ordnance above them etc.

Hex really are fast to play and leave very little room for disagreements. The key is not to allow more than one unit occupy one hex - then it's simple to keep track.
Google Adsense
Old 01-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Design Admin

I will be going with open table top, not hexes. For a few reasons. First it just feels like there is more freedom to me. Also my least favorite part of the hex plan is that if we have a huge battle going and I reach over to move a ship and my sleeve catches the corner of the hex paper - blam! all messed up, I likely also knock over my beer when I try to recover from the mistake heh heh

The firing arc makes pperfect sense and will differ based on the piece. A tank could have a 360 degree firing arc etc etc
Old 01-17-2010, 09:09 AM

Well, I'd not set it in stone and try for testing both versions - the basic game allowing to play a simple battle is supposed to be free, right? So the same models can be placed on open battletop or hexes - a matter of scaling them properly.

So I'd vote for not throwing hexes away, especially that later on their sets can be sold along with the other models.

The hexes I imagine will interlock with each other making sturdy tabletop - not easy to disrupt with a sleeve

I'll make a picture of what I mean.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Design Admin

I know what you mean. making interlocking is a good idea. I also see your point that it could be adopted one way or the other. A measured movement point could be directly related to a hex point move.

I want to keep the base development to open tabletop so we dont try to do to many things. After game development is complete we can design an addendum to convert to hex style play if desired. Technically they arent that much different.
Chris
Old 01-17-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
I know what you mean. making interlocking is a good idea. I also see your point that it could be adopted one way or the other. A measured movement point could be directly related to a hex point move.

I want to keep the base development to open tabletop so we don't try to do to many things. After game development is complete we can design an addendum to convert to hex style play if desired. Technically they aren't that much different.
Chris
True. It is an easy conversion. Mini size is the main thing here. I once owned a game where some minis were bigger than the hexes and when three or four of that minis fought against each other, at the end we didn't really know where the surviving ones where at the beginning of the fight. :(

Interchangeable paper terrain is a must, but square, I suppose. :o
Maybe with layers of hexes in it.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:26 AM

Interesting concept. The space movement/combat could be handled like wings of war. simple fire arcs and cards determining movement.
Google Adsense