PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > General game discussion

Old 01-13-2010, 08:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I've played with the toothpast boxes the RL games for years and I'm quite fond (in a sentimental way) of it. But I'd prefer 3D playing pieces also. Simple, clean, but 3D.
An example:

http://web.mac.com/michaelhaggard/AL...ame_Minis.html
See the cruisers.

What I think that is essencial is a new approach that moves away from classical designs like Star Trek (The freighter above) Starwars, Homeworld, and BFG of course.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
quick fyi for ya - The Haggard is now selling through my shop he is currently working on the core class ships that would be included with the main set
Chris
Old 01-13-2010, 02:39 PM

Nice. And do you still need ship art to have ideas?
Old 01-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Design Admin

I am giving the haggard free reign on the core ships. One thing I want to keep in mind at least for early on is that almost all ships will be extremely similar across races. Say the base part of the model will be the same then it will have one obvious difference like an added weapon or just a hull shape add on that makes it different so that they can all be done from the same model. These minor changes will be done through layers. They will of course be different colors and with different symbols too. This is to make it much easier for the gamer to build the same base ship over and over with minor changes so they can complete fleets and what not for all sides. Once a large base of models is designed then we might offshoot into specific expansions like capitol ships and such. But at first i want to remain very flexible at the base.

One thing I would like to see early are different races and what they might have for symbols etc. I have someone writing an overall back story/outline now - give him a few days to get that together and we will see what kind of overall direction we might take.

Does that make sense?
Old 01-13-2010, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the quick answer.
Frankly I don't think that working things appart is a good idea. Seeing the art to write and reading the background to make the art is always a better process, as you might find evertwhere people work together. But I know that it can be difficult.

And, I hope I'm not being pushy, you, or someone you delegate, must coordinate closely the process. You, because you know more or less what you want, should point directions. Saying yes and no so that the streams of creativity debouches into a solid river.

My two cents...
Google Adsense
Old 01-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Design Admin

I agree - the backround is of utmost importance BUT the overall background needs to be determined before race backgrounds canbe developed. Thats why I want to give him a couple days to work up a rough outline. That will help get the creative juices going for the race backgrounds and to help them all fit together. We can assume that all these races have met each other in some way shape or form and maybe have one that is a complete unknown to the existing races I figured doing simple stuff thats important to backgrounds (sketches are awesome!) and symbols that wont directly fint into the background in a specific way is another great way to get things going
Chris