PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 09-12-2010, 05:06 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Question for the more knowledgable

Ok, for someone better than me. Yesterday, I started having an issue with my screensaver.
It "could not find a compatible d3d device". When I shut down the computer and would try to restart,
it would get to the Windows logo, then shutdown and restart. Then, it would bring up the screen
talking about shutdown improper, etc, and offer the choices for safe mode, safe mode networking, etc.

At this point, the only way the system would start is safe mode. Now, when I shut down from safe mode,
and restart, then the system will come up normally. I reinstalled the video drivers, thinking this was
part of the original problem, and the screen saver works fine now. But what is causing the startup problems?

I am using Windows XP, SP3. Please no comments about the usefulness of Windows, the use of
a different OS, etc. Just trying to get this antique box to last a little longer.

Totally baffled, out of airspeed, altitude, and ideas on this one.

Thanks for any ideas and guidance

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense
Old 09-12-2010, 05:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Not the same problem, but what worked for me was to get rid of SP3 and stick with SP2 only....
Old 09-12-2010, 06:03 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Ray,
A quick Google-dive nets a geek-consensus to either update your video driver or lose the 3-D screensaver. My steam-powered info processing engine works fine so I'm in no hurry to get the latest shiny updates. Just how much do you like that screen saver?
Over to the uber-geeks and trained engineers.
Yogi (sometimes a bandaid is a solution ...)
Old 09-12-2010, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Another thing you may want to try Ray is to update to the latest version of DirectX..latest version appears to be v11. Here is the microsoft page for it: Microsoft DirectX

If you do a google search, I am sure you can get previous versions of it like DirectX9 and others.

I have Windows XP Sp3 and it's working great for me...now. I had installed it when it first came out a few years ago and it caused problems for me constantly until I went back to SP2. I re-installed SP3 back in March or April and have no problems with it so far. *knock on wood*. If anything, I agree with Yogi....get rid of the screen saver if it is a 3rd party screen saver.

Then, you may want to start looking at your Start Up tasks by going through "msconfig" and looking at what is running at startup. Maybe something in there is causing an error and kicking you back to safe mode. If you have never done msconfig before, don't do it until you read up on the tasks you need to keep running at startup.

Finally, if you would prefer instead of messing with the msconfig.....I would highly recommend downloading and installing CCleaner. It is a free Registry cleaner...I run it at least once a month. What it does is it will go through the registry and check entries to see if they point somewhere. It ends up flagging all the left over entries from software installs and long uninstalled programs you no longer use. It will also find those errors in the registry from software errors....and possibly the error from your screen saver. When you run it, back up the registry when it prompts you to do so that way you can just revert back if needed. Here is the link to CCleaner: Piriform - Download CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, Speccy - Millions of users worldwide!
Old 09-12-2010, 11:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Windows is not the issue...although windows corruption does occur regularly and can affect any number of programs and operations.
Xp does not support DirectX 11...and thats not the issue anyway.
SP3 is not the issue...its the latest fix to many Windows issues, so other a few minor program incompatibilities, it is not a problem.

Easy solution is get rid of outdated, and useless screen savers.
Not only are they old, incompatible and clunky, they quite often have script issues that cause all kinds of other problems.

Many screensaver programs are full of viruses.
Many screensaver programs are recognized as being virus laden and your AV program will cause issues.

Some more impressive 3D screensavers do require more processor power and more powerful video capabilities.
Even in "resting mode" your computer has other programs trying to run...available processor power can still be reduced affecting the operation of the screensaver.
Google Adsense
Old 09-12-2010, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
"important" question

usually these kind of problems does not "just happen" as they often come as a result of something done, such as installing or removing some program, a removed program can also remove drivers needed for the fauting program
if reinsallig drivers fixed the problem, that might be what happened to you computer
but as i mentioned - what did you do before this happened?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
take care with this...

if you having issues on start up and can only get to safe mode

go safe mode

start -> run -> msconfig click ok

there is a tab in the interface called startup oddly enough

i reccomend that you uncheck all restart
and this should get you to normal mode
this will not hurt your system or remove any thing from it
just turns off what is causing the problem
now to figure out which one it is

you will need to reboot and turn 1 item on at a time till boot fails
then you know which one is causing the fault and can leave it off and turn the rest back on

however i just leave them all off
i hate stufff loading into memory and slowing my processor down

there is one caveat if you have antivirus on your system please turn it back on under the startup tab or you will run with out it on...

best of luck with this

if you run into further problems pm me and ill try to help you.

thanks
Old 09-12-2010, 02:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Also, if you have a modern CRT or a flatscreen LCD screen, you don't need screensavers at all. Because screensavers were designed to prevent old monitors from burning their image on the screen. But nowadays, the tech is so advanced and evolved, that you don't really need screensavers anymore.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:30 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Well, here now is another part. Reupdated the video drivers, and the screensaver part of the problem is solved. However, the other part still remains, that of the startup issue. I am using marine aquarium 3, it's not an old screensave, just cool. If I right click my computer, click on manage, then click the system error log, I am finding some system error and service control manager errors that start about the same time I started having issues. If any one has knowledge of this type of information, I'm listening!

GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:28 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Errors

I am seeing these errors

Question for the more knowledgable-1.jpg

Question for the more knowledgable-2.jpg

Question for the more knowledgable-3.jpg

GET OFF MY LAWN!