PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 03-20-2011, 04:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 28.46 MB
there is a thread about Digital die cutting here. these die cutters are a tenth the cost of a laser. the best machines seem to be the Silhouette, Gazelle and the KNK
from $300 to about $600
Old 03-20-2011, 09:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Check out some sign supply sites, there are some small to medium size lazer cutters out there. Went to a sign show in Fort Worth last year and there were a bunch of companys making then now. Most are made for cutting plaques and and the like.......Rich
Old 08-14-2011, 01:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to TLHarrell
I just got myself a 40w laser cutter a few weeks ago. Just starting up a laser cutting business. Would need to work out a process for getting the designs printed and cut, but more than happy to work with you. For simple things, like some solid color parts, you could just send me a vector file (.xps) and I can have the parts out the door in minutes. For aligning to a printed work, we'll have to sort it out.

I don't have a website or online store set up yet. Still working out some products and getting ready for some local shows to sell at. You can find me on Facebook at "White Light Laser". Feel free to contact me there, or PM me here.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:13 AM

There is an online service called cutyourway.com I haven't used them but they offer free samples of their work so you could test it out to see if they are legitimate. They do cut cardstock.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 PM

I've done some business cards using the laser and my wife's inkjet printer. The printer seems to be doing some weird stuff with my images and making 100% registration difficult. Even had one sheet print skewed and so high that the top alignment marks were off the page, and I had to throw it out.

Printer is an Epson CX6000. Anybody know about these things?

If I can sort out the scaling/misalignment/whatever it's problem is, and my prints can be aligned to the laser properly, then I can definitely use it to blow out parts for card models.

Google Adsense
Old 08-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
maybe if you bought that you could offer it to us as a service, bulk orders or something to pay for it.
[i hope that wasn't against the rules to say.....]
jim
Old 08-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
maybe if you put them in adobe reader format and print them out from that it would help the alignment.
jim
Old 08-17-2011, 05:22 PM

It would be easy enough to do if the prints had registration marks on them, were printed accurately 100% scaled, and I have the vector outlines of the parts. When I make my own models I will offer them as pre-cut versions. Parts would be nearly detached with only a few remaining bits to cut through in inconspicuous places, and can be scored for bending as well. I just need a printer that doesn't completely screw up my prints. The CX6000 seems to be mis-scaling things a little bit and slightly skewing (parallelogram). Not cool.

I think next I should print up some test patterns and go have them professionally printed to see if I can improve the tolerances before the sheets go to the laser.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:10 AM

Hi Everybody,

Laser cutting can be used for cutting paper thin material or thick materials like wood and plastics; it just depends on the Wattage output of the laser machine. I have 2 laser cutting machines and operate a retail outlet style business in Montreal for walk in customers and online customers that we flat pack and ship to.

Umake Online Factory www.umake.ca.

Laser cutting from a supplier does not have to be expensive with minimum order sizes, it just depends on the laser cutting business style of operation. We operate like a printing shop with no minimum order size. We do all size orders from $20 to $2000 dollars.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:16 AM

Laser Cutting Like a Printing Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rch123 View Post
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as laser cutting available to the general public? Is it possible for me to go somewhere or order a machine that cuts all thicknesses of paper and all colors for a affordable price?
Hi Everybody,

Laser cutting can be used for cutting paper thin material or thick materials like wood and plastics; it just depends on the Wattage output of the laser machine. I have 2 laser cutting machines and operate a retail outlet style business in Montreal for walk in customers and online customers that we flat pack and ship to.

Umake Online Factory www.umake.ca.

Laser cutting from a supplier does not have to be expensive with minimum order sizes, it just depends on the laser cutting business style of operation. We operate like a printing shop with no minimum order size. We do all size orders from $20 to $2000 dollars.
Google Adsense