PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 04-13-2011, 04:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 36.10 MB
Help in selecting a new printer please ??

I need a new printer. My current printer has let me down over and over . It is a HP 309 and uses 5 ink cartriges that are very small and expensive to replace. Refilling the colors has caused it to print off colors. It is also slow and cumbersome and the software stinks. I am going to dump it in the recycle bucket !!!

What are good printers to consider ?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Google Adsense
Old 04-13-2011, 05:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I don't really have an opinion, however if you use the "search" function on this forum with the keyword "printer" you will find recent threads containing answers to your query.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
About a month ago I bought an Epson Workforce 1100 fron Fry's electronics for about $130 out the door, it's a printer only not a "all in one" will print up to 12X44, has 5 print cartridges 2 black,then C M Y. So far it a VERY GOOD printer. Going to order a refillable cartridge set from Ebay for $40, standard ones are $14 each. It has an almost straight thru feed and will print on VERY heavy card stock. only down side is it's BIG almost 24" long. I asked the same question not long ago and people here told me of this one and I'm very glad they did!......Rich
Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
The general consensus on the forum is that Epson has the most reliable printers. I purchased an all-in-one Epson 835 a few months ago, but would have gotten the 1100 but I also needed a new scanner. I'm pleased with the print quality and the speed even at 1200 DPI it prints quickly.

My advice is to spend the money and get the best printer you can afford. The good ones run between $140 to $180 and they come with full sized cartridges. The promo printers that sell for $40 to $60 are supplied with smaller then normal cartridges so very quickly you end up having to spend another $50 to $60 for a new set of cartridges. Now the better printer looks like a much better deal an it is. My 835 came with two large black cartridges ($20 ea) and a set of full sized color cartridges ($60) so in my book I only spent $75 on the printer.

I don't know if this is the same with all Epson's but there is a quirk in the software. For add on parts I set the work space to 3.5 x 5 inches in Illustrator (saves on the expensive photo paper). If I print this with borders dimensions of the parts are spot on. but if I set the printer for borderless printing the parts are too large. I assume the printer software crops the image to match the border and then expands the image to the borderless size.

Jim Nunn
Old 04-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

For what it's worth I just got a Epson Workforce 1100 (should come in in a day or 2) for $126 off of Amazon, shipping included. Brand new. C.I.S.S. is available for this printer.
Google Adsense
Old 04-14-2011, 09:39 AM

Smile

Thank you all. I searched printer threads and read alot. Also the posts on this thread. So it is off to check out Epson. The 1100 sounds great, but like Jim N. I want to have a scanner mainly for making replacement parts for my models.
Another question. What is a c.i.s.s. ?
Rick
Old 04-14-2011, 09:48 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
CISS = Continuous Ink Supply System. It consists of larger ink tanks, remotely attached to your printer by small tubes.

Such as CSinks.com

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 04-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Banned

I got my printer today, it"s HUGE! I have a perfectly functioning scanner, EPSON NX420, so it was not an issue for me, but, Jim's printer would have been my choice if I needed a scanner.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
yer gonna need a scanner on it to, to load ye mods in with.
i suggest go to a thrift store and get one like a lexmark or a epson, they are cheaper on cartridges [ www.ink.com] or slightly used ones at 1/2 price and the printers go for about 5 bucks at thrift shops, plus you are helping thier charity buying there.
jim
Old 04-15-2011, 08:50 AM

Thanks to all of you. I ordered the Epson Artisan 835 from Epson for 169 and free shipping. So now to wait for it to get here. !!
Google Adsense