PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 04-22-2011, 08:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
picked up a new knife at lowes for $2, new lamp too!

This is a big change for me not using my $1 store break away blades.

this one is clearly superior; better grip, extra blade storage in the handle,
and most importantly, the handle does not block viewing the cut line
nearly as much as my old blade. For a whole $2 well worth the upgrade.

I also got an soldering station lamp and magnifying glass fixture. I drilled a hole in the desk and its a great light source for my desk:

Google Adsense
Old 04-22-2011, 11:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
I have that knife, it's branded as "Jobmate" over here and it's one of those super cheap brands.

I've had a set of those for a while now and I absolutely hate them. The big box cutter version of this thing is actually dangerous.
The problem is that blade reloading mechanism... not only do you very rarely need to change the blade but it makes the entire thing unreliable. If you are cutting tough material (like say a big box) the blade will just pull out entirely. Even if you just trying to a cut a line in 1mm card it can release itself. Very frustrating when a sharp object suddenly does something you don't want. I think it got worse over time.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
Hate those kind of knives, they always slide up on me! Love the mag-lamp, i need one badly due to ageing eyes!!!! For cutting i usually just use an exacto and mutiple types of very sharp scissors! I also use a power scroll saw with a very fine fret saw blade for cutting thick cardboard, like for formers.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
I use a box cutter for a lot of my cutting.

They come in a wide range of quality from the wobbly one buck versions at dollar stores to very expensive ones by Stanley Tool which lock the blade in place. The better ones lock the blade firmly in place. I find the big handle on a box cutter less tiring to use than cutting tools with smaller handles, something that might be appreciated by the big handed and older modelers with stiff hands.

If you have a set of stones or diamond hones you can put a very sharp edge on the blades that will rival a scapel, yet have a much more rigid blade capable of slicing cardboard without snapping, and your can reshape the tip of the blade.

I keep a fine grit hone on my bench so I can touch up my knife blades when they start to get dull.

I don't have the luxury of having a scroll saw, but do use a jewelers saw and bench "V block" for cutting thick laminated paper or the occasional small pieces of wood that find their way into a model. Avoid the so called jewelers saw frames you can get at a hobby shop, they are poorly designed and do not hold the blade rigid, so you will end up breaking a lot of saw blades.

For scissors I like the ones with Asian style loops for handles, instead of Western style scissors with little tiny finger holes. They are much easier to use than a pair of fine point sewing scissors with whose finger holes always seen to be designed for a small woman's fingers. I have found a lot of the tools at JoAnne's and similar craft stores catering to woman are unusable. The quality is Ok (no worse than Harbor Frieght Tools), but many of them are just simply too small for me to use comfortably.

Friskars made a pair of scissors with big loops and small blades with a fine tip which I like. I found discounted pair at a close out store.

Last edited by John Wagenseil; 04-23-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.73 MB
Split the difference and get a Tajama thirty degree. Get a couple to offset the shipping.
Google Adsense
Old 04-23-2011, 03:46 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Cutting Blades

I agree with Ringmaster, the Tajima is the best snap blade knife I've used. I use it on fairly thin stock.

Slippage on the "El Cheapo" snap blades is hazardous - suggest the use of stainless steel holders for safety [better blade lock mechanism].

Heavy cutting is still reserved for a Stanley Fixed Blade Utility Knife. Instead of changing a dull blade it's sharpened on an Arkansas wet stone till razor sharp. The knife is used to cut 0.125 MDF board for jigs and fixtures. Besides, sometimes it's used it to cut up cardboard for recycling...,

+Gil

Old 04-23-2011, 04:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
The Lamp is definitely what I need!
and why are there Treads on your Funny Car Tires??

Unsure about the choice of Knife though.
Not my favorite either.
But if you have become familiar with using that style, then more power to you!

I have many of those larger utility knives, but i find the blade flex too annoying.
And the single Blade Utility Knife is not for me either...takes too long to change a Blade!

I do use the smaller snap blade Knives though.
In fact I find them to be a good alternative to wasting my more expensive
Blades on less important cuts.

My Knife collection (for every model build) includes:
a couple of Snap Blade Knives (but I stay away from really cheap ones),
and 2 Hobby/Craft Knives with replaceable Blades (and nice solid handles).

I also keep a good supply of Blades for both style Knives,
because you can never change blades enough!

And I also have a modified Hobby Knife (in the front of the photo)
which has a Blade that I have ground to a rounded edge.
This is my paper scoring tool.

I also have four or five different types of Scissor on hand.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
well, I guess my choice in knives is not that popular. I like them because I like the lack of waste; I can easily snap off a piece of the blade and I have a nice new sharp blade to work with. I've never had any slippage problems. the lamp is expensive, about $80 with the bulb, really smooth springs to hold it in place and the 2x magnifying glass, I was lucky enough to get it for free from the shop, they didn't have a base for this one and were throwing it out. I grabbed in instantly.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Got a couple of that type of knife, but haven't really used them for modeling. Now that light, that's a hard deal to beat! You come across another one of those at that price, I'd be more then happy to pay shipping to ME!