PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.8 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
Most laptops vent from the bottom. You really need at least 3 inches of clear space underneath there, or, if on a hard flat surface, completely clear all the way around. Never put it on a soft surface.
It's ok, i got a fan pad for it.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Thanks Zat!

Have you tried Glary Utilities? Another good freeware program to keep things right on your computer.

Glary Utilities Download - Free Utilities to Clean Registry, Fix PC Errors, Clean Privacy

I also like ASTRA32 to check everything out on your box.

ASTRA32 - Advanced System Information Tool - Free Download

john

My Drawings
Old 07-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Glary Utilities is a really good cleaner. if it finds something that it cannot delete in your registry, DO NOT DELETE IT! It always shows 3 Registry entries on my computer that it says are empty, but if you go into the Registry and open the sub folders, further down the Tree, you find the Norton Entries.

I use Wise Registry Cleaner, which can really totally destroy your machine if you don't know what you are doing, so, other than say the name, I won't even post a link to it. It works great though!

I mostly started this thread to talk about "Hardware Issues" and try to stay away from the "Software Nazi's" (like the "Soup Nazi" on Seinfeld). But in all honesty, I would recomend Glary Utilities. Maybe we can have a thread were people don't have to "proslytize", and just state what they use, why they like it? Why not?

Old 07-27-2011, 10:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
I had a several years old Toshiba Satellite lap top that would go nuts then shut down every time an old version of Norton Anti Virus kicked in. It took me a long time to figure out what was wrong and fix it.
It was a hardware problem,

I had to blow all the dust bunnies out of cooling fan to fix the problem.

Norton AV was a resource hog that would make the CPU run hot, and since the fan was clogged the CPU would get really hot and the computer would misbehave and then shut down. Cleaning out the fan housing kept the CPU from getting dangerously hot when Norton ran. I heard the newer versions of Norton AV are not the memory and CPU hogs the older versions were.

Anyway a computer that runs hot can have the problem show up in weird ways.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
When air moves it builds static electricity.
Suctioned air is even worse than forced (blown) air.
The tiniest of electrostatic discharges can harm PC components.
Most household vacuum cleaners are plastic or have plastic tubing.
The plastic itself discharges electrostatically.
Most home vacuums have fairly large tubes and attachements that can dislodge or break small components within a PC.
Brush attachments are made of nylon and plastics that increase static discharges
and direct contact discharges.

There are specially designed computer vacuums that are costly, all metal construction allowing you to ground the unit and smaller suctioning tubes.

I HAVE damaged a computer by vacuuming it so I know it happens.

Vacuuming your Computer? a very stupid thing to do!

Compressed air canisters are the standard and accepted method of "blowing" out components.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Banned

Dave, first of all, READ THE POST CORRECTLY!!! I said GROUND YOUR VACUUM TO THE COMPUTER!! Using air to blow dust is far worse as usually there is moisture from the propellant and this causing electron flow. Secondly, if you want to be really technical, you buy a conductive vaccuum cleaner made for that job that is incapable of holding a charge. Vacuuming is the way to go, unless you are bashing the vacuum into the components on the P.C. Board.

Now, to address the nonsense you posted specifically: GROUND YOUR VACUUM, (admin removed text)Plastic cannot discharge electrostaticaly (is that a word?), maybe you mean that certain plastics can hold an electro-static charge and discharge when they comes into contact with a ground source? I have to read into our comments to decipher what you say. I am very specific about what I say. Your suggestion is UNINFORMED! You will blow all the dust into the "nooks and crannies" of the circuit boards, under the I.C's and build a path for electron flow and the I.C's will eventually short out (we're talking 3.2 volts or less on some of these I.C's) and the average spark from your finger is 70 volts.

The vacuum cleaners are NOT made of metal, they are made of conductive plastic!! They are not expensive, they are CHEAP!! Unless $60 dollars is a lot of money to you.

The same result can be achieved with a plastic tip on your vacuum cleaner.

Floor Care Machines & Vacuums | Vacuum Blowers-Computers,Appliances | Vac 'N, BloŽ 500 Handheld Vacuum Blower w/Micro Cleaning Tool Kit | 442137 - GlobalIndustrial.com

The Guru Guys: Vacuum your PC

Admin Note: I am removing the portions of this post that are irrelevant to the conversation. Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions or concerns.
Chris

Last edited by cgutzmer; 07-28-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: irrelevant conversation
Old 07-28-2011, 03:06 PM

lol not sure how you ground a plastic vacuum?...
but not worth the argument...forget I posted.

I changed my mind, because people might be reading and getting the wrong information.

A simple search on the internet will turn up countless scores of discussions
about this very subject.
And the concensus is always the same....that the risks from vacuuming are real and costly.

I could point people to many discussions, but heres one good quote:
The static issue comes from the rapid movement of particles over the surface of the vacuum nozzle or air nozzle.
In the case of the vacuum nozzle, these are dust particles from the computer that cause a localised charge on the nozzle as they enter it.
With canned air it is dry and free of any particles so no charge should be generated, no dust is involved as its travelling in the opposite direction.
Jusicious use of a 1/2" paint brush to dislodge the dust, and a vacuum to pick it up should be all right, just keep the vacuum nozzle away from the circuitry.
Having said that, its not all that common for lower powered household cleaners to generate huge fields, it's possible but it's never happened to me.
Beware of using air compressors, as the air is not dry and contains minute traces of oil, which can create static at the blower tip, unlike canned air.

[quote from http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/4...acuum-my.html]

I, personally vacuumed out a perfectly working computer that afterwards would not restart
and the problem was diagnosed within the Motherboard. I can only assume that the vacuuming may have
damaged something.

And, although I don't use canned compressed air (since I have airbrush compressors with moisture traps),
I can guaranty that canned compressed air is the dryest air on the planet!

Anyone want to use a household vacuum cleaner inside their computer, go right ahead,
but you have been warned...by 90% of the tech guys on the internet
...and me.

Last edited by airdave; 07-28-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Banned

Plastic is the basis of modern computers. The non-conductive type is etched with chemicals, using a masking technique called photo-release. When the patch is etched, that layer is insulated, and in such a manner, a "chip" is built up. Diodes are pieces of plastic attached to wires. The center part is "doped' (originally) with arsenic, which allows a few electron to cross over. When electricityis provided in the opposite dirction, these electrons build up, on the opposite side "Holes' (potential) builds up, and this "dam" of electrons and potential prevent the diode from letting electricity flow (a very simplified explanation). This all started in one shape or another in the late 1800's.

Some smart guy was able to make a transparent diode and guess what? LED's were invented.

Plastic that allows electricity to flow cannot pick up an electrostatic charge. This negates grounding such a device.

Dry air is one of the conditions that must be met for the build up of electrostatic energy. If it was moist, it would ground out through moisture, as water conducts electricity, right!?!

I have repaired 1000's of T.V.'s for Sony, Magnavox, RCA (junky TV), even a couple of Banfgand Olufsens. I have repaired more audio equipment than I could ever remember. I also was an authorized repair center for some other products, (Boston Acoustic Speakers). I do not go out on the internet to build a try and build an intellectual argument. My advice was called STUPID by the previous poster. I have never wiped out a hard drive by accident. I have taken hard drives apart and fixed them by corporations that were desperate to reclaim some data.

I am not trying to win an argument. I am trying to say what is done in the industry. Blowing dust around the inside of your P.C. is not a good idea, much of this fine dust can land on the inside of your various optical drives. I can aure you, if you blow dust towards your computer circuit board, it will be traveling towards it, along with any charge that it may already have. The above argument based on links that average 7 years old is not reliable, (the above link does not work). Different technological era.

Good Luck with all you do. I will let others have the last word. Anyone with questions can P.M. me if they wish. I will offer no more help in the public part of this forum, as I wish not to encourage even more acrimony.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:18 PM

not sure why that link doesn't work...I apologize for posting that.
I just wanted to reference my posted quote.
heres the same thread:
Can I (safely) vacuum my computer? - Tech Support Guy Forums

by the way, I have been a member of Tech Support Guy forums for about 5 years now.
These guys have helped me out of a lot of jams.
Great discussions from members of all experience levels, not just "experts".
And always answers to those pesky PC troubles.
I recommend to anyone, signing up.

And do a search for vacuum related topics, you will find a few discussions there.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Banned

admin note:
This has nothing to do with the topic and personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Last edited by cgutzmer; 07-28-2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: text edit
Google Adsense
Closed Thread