PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 09-22-2011, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Not sure if this addreses Robert's question but I throw it in anyway.

I have a Lexmark 1100 series printer which I don't use very often and the colour cartridge dries up frequently. The cleaning cycle is useless and just wastes ink. So I fix the problem by removing the cartridge and dipping the business end of it into hot (not boiling) water for 5-6 seconds, removing and drying with kitchen towel. Works every time for me.

Philip
Old 09-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
A much easier way is using a modeling syringe with the appropriate rubber hose, slipped over each nipple, you push and then pull out the dried ink. This has the added benefit of cleaning out the sponge. If you move the assembly out of the way, you can soak up all of the ink in the sponge under neath. Whatever you do, don't use the cleaning cycle, as that just uses up tons of ink.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
so i ran out a one sheet model i drew with gray and green and black on it,
the defrosted nothing of a black cartridge performed excellently, i let it thaw all morning and then printed out the sheet. no defects.
jim
Old 09-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Banned

What kind of printer do you have?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Not sure if this addreses Robert's question but I throw it in anyway.

I have a Lexmark 1100 series printer which I don't use very often and the colour cartridge dries up frequently. The cleaning cycle is useless and just wastes ink. So I fix the problem by removing the cartridge and dipping the business end of it into hot (not boiling) water for 5-6 seconds, removing and drying with kitchen towel. Works every time for me.

Philip
That is a very interesting technique. The EPSON 1100 Printer head is not on the cartridge, so that may fix an entirely different problem. I am interested to know what the symptom of the printer was, when that worked. Obviously it wasn't printing right, but, were you missing a color completely, or was it lines, or gaps, combination thereof? I have the same printer, which is why I ask.
Google Adsense
Old 10-24-2011, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Zathros,

Sorry to be so long in replying but I live in a world of my own. Printer symptoms could be any or all of the ones you propose. It seems that with inactivity the moisture in the nozzles evaporates. Subjecting the nozzles to some hot water seems to loosen the ink. If one of your colours is exhausted, then this technique will not work.

As an aside my Lexmark 1150 instillation disk had a system fault which made it very difficult (or impossible) to open some PDF files made with Microsoft Office. If you have experienced this, let me know as I have found a fix.

Philip
Old 10-25-2011, 12:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
I can't believe the trouble people seem to have with inks these days, in non-canon printers. I'm not going to turn this into a "which printer is better" discusion but I have been using canons for years and one of the things I love most about them is they can be told to "shut up and get back to work" when they tell you the ink is low... then when the printer decides at a later date that the ink "has now run out" it still gives me the option to keep printing by hitting the resume button, which I do until the ink actually does run out... sometimes this can be dozens of pages later, in full colour.

Having not used anything but canons for at least a decade, I'm not sure if any other printer allows you to do this or not.

I know this doesn't help with the problems posted above, I just thought I'd share it in case anyone is looking at buying a new printer and wants a bit of value for money.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 10-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Banned

A lot of Canons use Dye ink though recently Pigment ink is becoming available in more models. I have had good luck with Epson printers, they are inexpensive and easy to service.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
from reading all this and other things about printers here i would say that the top of the line performance wise is a
ibm
laser printer /scanner full size
and also a laser cutter for the models to be cut out with.
might as well go with the total package at first and work your way down.
for cheap price wise,
it seems that a used cannon top of the line from a few years ago that is a laser printer is favored.
i just go to the print shop when i have something special, its only about ten bucks for a full model and it turns out nice.
jim
Old 10-26-2011, 05:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
12# Hammer (sledge), while a 16# or 20# might work, the risk of carpal tunnel aint' worth the extra satisfaction...

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Google Adsense