PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 10-26-2011, 06:55 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
12# Hammer (sledge), while a 16# or 20# might work, the risk of carpal tunnel aint' worth the extra satisfaction...

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Falling off the back of a Subaru at 60 m.p.h. works really well too!

@spaceagent-9, laser printers aren't usually recommended for paper models because the problems associated with the ink peeling off on sharp bends.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Flexible like a gymnast

John, you'd think the laser "pigment" material would be more flexible, given it is going on a paper substrate...

I understand it is actually some kind of plastic dust (micro-flakes?) that gets melted into the surface fibers (one reason laser's draw so much power - little toasters, those rollers....)

Printer tech is fascinating as well as frustrating!
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale

Last edited by rbeach84; 10-28-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeach84 View Post
John, you'd think the laser "pigment" material would be more flexible, given it is going on a paper substrate...

I understand it is actually some kind of plastic dust (micro-flakes?) that gets melted into the surface fibers (one reason laser's draw so much power - little toasters, thoser rollers....)

Printer tech is fascinating as well as frustrating!
This is what I have gleaned from the members here who have posted extensively, I should have mentioned that "tidbit" was what I gleaned from here and many other places, who knows maybe that is not a problem any longer, or someone with positive experiences or negative give cough up an opinion.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
A lot of Canons use Dye ink though recently Pigment ink is becoming available in more models.
Hey Zathros, can you please elaborate on the difference between dye vs pigment inks? Thanks!

Old 11-16-2011, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Yes, I'm curious also

Dye or pigment. Perhaps dye inks do not use ground up materials to give them color; perhaps the color is a chemical dissolved instead of being 'carried' in a suspension? I'm thinking paints now, but seems reasonable given the terminology.

Update: returned the clogged printer since it had some minor clogging reappear after I thought I'd cleared the problems, so just went for the replacement under warranty. Working great and am really enjoying using the Foxit software for reading & printing PDF's. Been distracted by a scratchbuilding project (in plastic sheet) where I'm upscaling a plastic 1:72 kit of a S-37 Berkut (aka Su-47) to 1:48 scale. Used the printer to create the enlarged 4-views to support the project, which I'm cross-checking by direct measurement off the apparently very accurate Zvesda 1:72 kit.
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Google Adsense
Old 11-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Banned

Dye inks are water soluble, where as pigment inks are not. That is the difference that is most important. I have of late some are using pigment for the Blakc and due for the colors. There is much on this and in all honesty, a Google search can give your hours og reading and still leave you perplexed.

Pigment inks use little "balls" that attach themselves and the dye based printers do not produce enough heat to make them bond. I personally will stick with Pigment inks for now one, better U.. protection from what I have read too. But from what I understand, they must be used or can clog up easier than dye, I am not the final authority and many here know far much more than i do. I just report my experiences and some information that a member here has mentored me with. There are some really intense people om this forum. Quite amazing actually. I am not one of them. Just an average person. I definitely am not the go to guy on anything, I just try and share what I have learned, that's all. Just as many here have shared so much with me.

Pigment ink is considered more archival. I think that is why it is becoming the ink of choice. Pigment definitely does not run with water either.