PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 03-12-2013, 12:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I don't think I will ever buy anything bigger than 300-500gb.
Its way too much hard drive to defrag or cleanup.
Its way too much data to copy and backup.
And its waaaaaay too much data to lose in a failure!

I'd rather have more smaller drives than fewer large capacity drives.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 209.22 MB
Hello folks,

recently my harddisk failed, but I have luck, I was able to restore all my data.

In my opinion a good advice is, when the first failure of disc access happen to do a backup immediately. In my case I was able to "repair" with chkdsk, but two or three system files were affected, so the system didn't worked properly any longer. Here you see: things are going worse and worse.

And you can't repair it with glue....

It was a "toshiba" drive, my first "non seagate" disk failure! I change in my computers every seagate drive. I made good experiences with maxtor or western digital until now.

Happy hacking
wishes
peaceglue.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Thanks guys. I just had to vent.

I've been working with computers since getting out of high school in 1975. I guess you could say I've seen it all. Well not so much since I retired. But I do try and keep as current as financially possible!

I do backup all my files, and I can recover most of them from this HD and what I can't, can be re-created easily.

Seagate has been making drive almost longer than anyone else so statically they have a larger failure rate just because they have been around for so long. It's just that I seem to fall in that statistic more than most. Or so it seems to me.

I've used just about all makes of dives in my many, many PC builds and repairs, and yes some of the other makes have failed on me before. Western Digital, IBM, Hitachi, etc.... (you should see all of the platters I have removed from Hard Drives along with those supper powerful magnets) it just seems that more times than not it was a Seagate that I had to replace.

So yes, I have multiple external hard drives, flash drives, sd cards, and even online storage (unlimited size on DGA's website) so my files are backed up, my PITA (pain in the arse) is having to re-set up Windows and how I like things on my "puter".

But I guess the silver lining to that is, it's fresh install, and not boogered up with all the crap that Windows does to itself over time.

So I know it's just me, my dis-like of Seagate, kinda like the chocolate or vanilla ice cream thing, or in the good ole USA the Ford or Chevorlet thing.

john

Oh by the way............ it's FORD and Chocolate!

My Drawings
Old 03-12-2013, 02:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Ford....Found On the Road Dead...or maybe Fix Or Repair Daily. MOPAR forever. On topic...I've thrown away just about equal numbers of dead Seagates, WDs, Maxtors, and White Label HDs, each with .357-size holes through the middle of them (works great both to ensure no data will ever be stolen and to work off the frustration of another )(#&$&% dead drive.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
SanDisk - very reliable. Cheap too.

I buy a new one every year (usually larger and cheaper each year) and now have multiple drives and back-ups. Back everything up onto the new one each time.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
My duff drive is a Samsung 160GB laptop drive. I up gunned an old laptop a few months back and somehow double ordered the drive, so I ended up with the old 40GB drive and a new 160GB drive going spare. I put them both into USB caddies to use as portables. I dropped all my model files onto the 160 whilst I did a bit of housekeeping on the main PC. Yup, you guessed it ... whilst the New Samsung 160 drive held the only copy of the archive, it decided to corrupt it's directory. The files are all still on there (I hope), but getting at them is a new learning experience for me. Getting there, but I'm not there yet and I haven't given up.

Johnny.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcides View Post
My recommendation is do a backup NOW!!! The disk can't stop at any moment, yeah maybe can do it for a year but you're in high risk to lost everything.
Thanks for the advice; already did. I sense impending doom...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowden View Post
Thanks guys. I just had to vent.

So yes, I have multiple external hard drives, flash drives, sd cards, and even online storage (unlimited size on DGA's website) so my files are backed up, my PITA (pain in the arse) is having to re-set up Windows and how I like things on my "puter".

But I guess the silver lining to that is, it's fresh install, and not boogered up with all the crap that Windows does to itself over time.

So I know it's just me, my dis-like of Seagate, kinda like the chocolate or vanilla ice cream thing, or in the good ole USA the Ford or Chevorlet thing.

john

Oh by the way............ it's FORD and Chocolate!
I agree with you about having to set up the computer again; no fun when you customize everything... oh yeah, Chocolate and GM
Old 03-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
I hear ya Darwin.......... I've always wanted to "pop a cap" in one of those, but being inside the city limits it's kinda frowned on

Mopar is good, but if you got a Dodge you better trade it off before the 100K mile mark, or it's time to put in a new tranny!

Got most of my files off, so it's just a matter of waiting for a new "used" HD to come in and work on one of the many repaired laptops I haven't sold off yet.

Hey KITT....... backup now! and go ahead and order a replacement.

Johnny......... been there done that too! I boogered up a 500 GB after getting everything backed up on it and had to recover it. Kinda defeated the purpose of the backup.

john

My Drawings
Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I've been through my share of hard drives and other assorted computera (btw, monitors explode nicely when hit with a .57 cal lead ball at just under the speed of sound).

I'm kinda limited on space though, although I do have a 2nd harddrive (rescued from my last desktop, plus my not-so-smart phone (set for data storage).

Which reminds me, I need to back everything up.

Oh...

Rocky Road, and Freightliner all the way.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
The one that has me cursing a blue streak is a Western Digital...it isn't just Seagate drives.
I have ran Seagate drives for many years, but when building computers several years ago, i ordered a batch of these WD, only 1 machine out of 10 that i had built with them in was ok, the others came back within a few weeks with drive failures. I got them changed and had some Seagate drives to replace the duff WD's - those machines are still alive and well, at least i have had no come backs with them. I think it's the luck of the draw, there are good and bad in all of them.
Google Adsense