PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 03-13-2013, 05:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
I have ran Seagate drives for many years.... I think it's the luck of the draw, there are good and bad in all of them.
Probably so. Unfortunately today it' s harder than ever to be faithful to a hard drive brand, since with the recent mergers, in practice only Seagate and Western Digital remain in the consumer disk business (this and the Thailand floods having caused the current high prices).

Come to think of it, my only Seagate was a 32MB (!) ST238R RLL which worked reliably for 10 years or so.

Like others have said, backup, backup, backup. Use a secondary disk, optical media, or network backup. And enable S.M.A.R.T. monitoring in your system; it's not infallible but usually warns you well ahead of a catastrophic failure.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfuruti View Post
Probably so. Unfortunately today it' s harder than ever to be faithful to a hard drive brand, since with the recent mergers, in practice only Seagate and Western Digital remain in the consumer disk business (this and the Thailand floods having caused the current high prices).

Come to think of it, my only Seagate was a 32MB (!) ST238R RLL which worked reliably for 10 years or so.

Like others have said, backup, backup, backup. Use a secondary disk, optical media, or network backup. And enable S.M.A.R.T. monitoring in your system; it's not infallible but usually warns you well ahead of a catastrophic failure.
Right on all accounts !. I have 2 huge {in physical size} 40Mb HDDs {IDE} The first system i loaded onto these was one of the very early MS.DOS {can't rem build number} then the first round of the MS Windows. I still have these drives in a box somewhere, and they still work fine {Seagate} Remember when Windows 95 first came out ? when the prog was a 32 disk {floppy disk} install then the CD Roms came in to play, thank god for those Times move on, but it doesn't seem that reliability came with it
Old 03-13-2013, 07:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
I hate to hear that you are having troubles John. My spouse is an ordained minister and she once told me that: ¨Anyone that does not believe in demon possession has not worked on a computer¨
Old 03-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Well my new "used" hard drive arrived in the mail today. Not a Seagate!

I'm in the process of getting my laptop set back up, only difference is I have installed Windows XP Media Edition this time.

I don't think there is much difference but I thought I'd give this a go, if I end up not liking it I can always re-format and go with good ole regular XP.

john

My Drawings
Old 03-15-2013, 06:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowden View Post
Well my new "used" hard drive arrived in the mail today. Not a Seagate!
john
Best of luck with the new device. Fortunately your dislike is directed towards Seagate. After the mergers, now it's hard to be sure a brand-new "Seagate" or "Western Digital" disk was not actually produced by, say, former Samsung staff at an ex-Quantum factory using Hitachi's previous technology...
Google Adsense