PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 01-17-2009, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
I'm using one for almost two years now.
From time to time I have to run the cleaning utility but after 2-3 runs print quality is fully restored.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreMir View Post
I'm using one for almost two years now.
From time to time I have to run the cleaning utility but after 2-3 runs print quality is fully restored.
Sounds good. I think I'm going to get one. They are not very expensive. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi All,

Many thanks for all your comments. I'm looking at the Canon ip4600 or possibly the ip4500 although an Ethernet I/F would be nice. The 4600 supports Canon special media up to 300 g/m² while the 4500 only up to 273 g/m². Does it make much diffrence? What's the thickest paper you're likely to use for a model?

I've been looking at HP's range but, unless I'm missing something, none seem to be printer-only - they all have a fax and copier. Maybe I should look further afield...

I also think it's worth getting a continuous ink supply system - thanks for the pointer, CharlieC - as they seem to cost around £45-50. The sellers say you can save up to 90% on ink costs. As most colour copies seem to cost around 8+p - although I suspect the cost will be much higher for the amount of colour used for models - that would be a good saving!

Does anyone have such a system? What make and how do you find the ink consumption? I've been looking at www.continuous-ink-systems.co.uk/ Which one are you going for, BARX2?

CharlieC - what models have a 'separate inkhead'?

Also, if you're going to seal your pages, you may as well use a laser printer, no?

Ian
Old 01-17-2009, 05:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by iantrader View Post

Also, if you're going to seal your pages, you may as well use a laser printer, no?

Ian
Not so - colour laser printers work by fusing a wax or coloured toner onto the surface of the paper - this is ok until you try to bend or crease the paper then the colour layer can flake off. This doesn't happen with inkjets because the dye soaks into the paper. The acrylic sealer helps stabilise the dye and makes it possible to just wipe off any excess glue. Also you can get whatever surface finish you want by overspraying from matt through to high gloss.

I know the Canon inkjets have a separate printhead - the older Epsons used to but I think the head is integrated with the cartridges now. The advantage of a separate printhead is that it's designed to last for the life of the printer rather than the life of the cartridge so it should give more stable print quality. Imho there's nothing worse than printing a model then having to print another page later and finding the print is slightly different.

I don't think I've ever tried to print above 250 gsm - usually if you want something that heavy it's easier to print on 80 gsm and laminate.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 01-17-2009, 06:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Check out the Model Building Tips, Tricks, and Questions section at this site WorldWorks Games Forum. There is a lot of information on printers and ink systems scattered throughout. The forum is mainly for discussion of the WorldWorks Games line of game terrain. A lot of printing is done to make up 3D game boards and buildings for games and such. Lots of good info there and the folks are very helpful.
Google Adsense
Old 01-17-2009, 07:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 214.95 MB
I use an Epson C88+ that I am satisfied with. The secret to preventing clogging is to turn the printer off if you are not using it. The nozzles are covered when the machine is off. I only rarely have to clean my printer.

Bill
Old 01-18-2009, 04:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.06 GB
Ian, i have been using an Epson R265 since they came out and have not had any trouble with it. I tried the continuos inking system but I personally couldn't get on with it, so i found an easier and just as cheap way, I use refillable cartridges and fill them myself. I get my ink from a dealer at a local computer market that sells on e-bay. The ink is around £14 for 6 100ml bottles and they are designed so that you don't have to use syringes and can do a full 6 cartridge refill in about 2 minutes. The printing results are great and believe me I print a lot more than i could ever build (3 A4 copier boxes full at the moment) as well as a lot of photo's and programmes for my son's football team, I am only on my third set of ink bottles in 2 and a half years.

Mick

Last edited by smyfe; 01-18-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:59 AM

To all happy Epson users - It's great that your printers are working well and you're happy with them. I can only speak as I find and I'm afraid I've suffered from clog on the two Epsons I've had. They were switched off when not in use and I think part of the problem is caused by not using the printer. Regular use, I'm sure, will help keep the jets free. But twice bitten and all that...

Ian
Old 01-18-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
Not so - colour laser printers work by fusing a wax or coloured toner onto the surface of the paper - this is ok until you try to bend or crease the paper then the colour layer can flake off. This doesn't happen with inkjets because the dye soaks into the paper. The acrylic sealer helps stabilise the dye and makes it possible to just wipe off any excess glue. Also you can get whatever surface finish you want by overspraying from matt through to high gloss.
Ah, ok, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
I know the Canon inkjets have a separate printhead - the older Epsons used to but I think the head is integrated with the cartridges now. The advantage of a separate printhead is that it's designed to last for the life of the printer rather than the life of the cartridge so it should give more stable print quality. Imho there's nothing worse than printing a model then having to print another page later and finding the print is slightly different.
Thanks. Is there any way to tell if a printer has a separate printhead? They don't mention it specifically in the specs.

Ian
Old 01-18-2009, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Hi Ian. I design and test pens/printheads for HP. I've posted a lot on this subject so I won't do it all over here but I can give you a little guidance.

First, you've eliminated color inkjet from your choices - good. It cannot give as good color as can inkjet - not designed at all to do so.

Second, if you can tolerate the nozzle clogging thing and can find the right printer with the right inks, Epson can have the best color out there. However, their ink cost is poor - they service oodles of ink out to keep the printheads clear. Also, I think that they have some waterfast color inks, but their fade under light is not good. Traditionally HP is far, far ahead of any other inks for light fade (watch out for refillers ink in this regard).

OK, I cannot talk too directly about other comparisons, so I will stick with HP for now. We started shipping separate printhead printers a few years ago and by and large they have been very good. The earlier systems actually have an ink recycling system inside so that any ink used in servicing actually gets pumped back through the printhead. IMO these printers are (were?) the Cadillacs of the printing world. They use the "HP 02" ink "cartridges" (actually ink tanks). Unfortunately, I can only find one of these at the HPShopping web site right now, which happens to be the same AIO that I use - the HP Photosmart C7280.

All of the new Photosmart printers use a different ink tank, similar to one that Canon has been using for a while. These are also very nice printers but they do not have the recirculating ink system - that is disappearing and will never come back. Stay away from the Deskjet printers at this point since they are designed for cheap sale price rather than quality of printing.

Good luck.

Carl
Google Adsense