PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 01-18-2009, 09:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyfe View Post
Ian, i have been using an Epson R265 since they came out and have not had any trouble with it. I tried the continuos inking system but I personally couldn't get on with it, so i found an easier and just as cheap way, I use refillable cartridges and fill them myself. I get my ink from a dealer at a local computer market that sells on e-bay. The ink is around £14 for 6 100ml bottles and they are designed so that you don't have to use syringes and can do a full 6 cartridge refill in about 2 minutes. The printing results are great and believe me I print a lot more than i could ever build (3 A4 copier boxes full at the moment) as well as a lot of photo's and programmes for my son's football team, I am only on my third set of ink bottles in 2 and a half years.

Mick
Can you post the brand name and/or give a link to these cartridges. I'd like to take a look. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.06 GB
Hi, I have found these on e-bay that seem to be the same ones that i use
REFILLABLE INK CARTRIDGES R265 R285 RX585 RX685 - V6 on eBay, also, Ink DIY Refill Kits, Printer Ink Cartridges, Computing (end time 19-Jan-09 10:52:35 GMT)
the bottles come with nozzles that fit into the cartridge like the syringe but with a lot less mess
The buyer I normally use is paultuk but he doesn't seem to have any items on at the moment

Mick
Old 01-18-2009, 02:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Ah thank you. I was looking at something like that at a US web site. I think that's a good compromise between buying filled cartridges and a continuous ink supply system.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Carl - Wow! Do you mind if I do a little brain-picking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
Hi Ian. I design and test pens/printheads for HP. I've posted a lot on this subject so I won't do it all over here but I can give you a little guidance.
I've had a quick flick through your numerous posts here but can't find any on printers. Can you point me to any relevant links, please?

Quote:
First, you've eliminated color inkjet from your choices - good. It cannot give as good color as can inkjet - not designed at all to do so.
Um, do you mean rejected 'lasers'? I tend to think they'd be better for PDFs.

Quote:
Second, if you can tolerate the nozzle clogging thing and can find the right printer with the right inks, Epson can have the best color out there. However, their ink cost is poor - they service oodles of ink out to keep the printheads clear. Also, I think that they have some waterfast color inks, but their fade under light is not good. Traditionally HP is far, far ahead of any other inks for light fade (watch out for refillers ink in this regard).
Well, you haven't persuaded me to give Epson a third chance... Not fussed about waterfast inks. Not sure about fading. I want to print PDFs, too, and don't want them to fade, not like the old thermal fax paper! My current HP mono laser does well in that regard!

Are all refill ink supplies poor? So there really is a reason why manufacturers recommend their own cartridges

Quote:
OK, I cannot talk too directly about other comparisons, so I will stick with HP for now. We started shipping separate printhead printers a few years ago and by and large they have been very good. The earlier systems actually have an ink recycling system inside so that any ink used in servicing actually gets pumped back through the printhead. IMO these printers are (were?) the Cadillacs of the printing world. They use the "HP 02" ink "cartridges" (actually ink tanks). Unfortunately, I can only find one of these at the HPShopping web site right now, which happens to be the same AIO that I use - the HP Photosmart C7280.
I'd prefer a print-only printer although I guess I could ignore the other bits. I tend to think that a machine that only does one function has less to go wrong . I'd also really like double-sided prining. Can you recommend any other HP printers to look at?

What do you think of continuous ink systems?

Quote:
All of the new Photosmart printers use a different ink tank, similar to one that Canon has been using for a while. These are also very nice printers but they do not have the recirculating ink system - that is disappearing and will never come back. Stay away from the Deskjet printers at this point since they are designed for cheap sale price rather than quality of printing.l
Could you recommend any Canons? What about other makes?

Sorry to ask all these Qs but even scouring the web, it's soooo difficult to get good solid info on printers.

Many thanks for your input.

Ian
Old 01-18-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Check out the Model Building Tips, Tricks, and Questions section at this site WorldWorks Games Forum. There is a lot of information on printers and ink systems scattered throughout. The forum is mainly for discussion of the WorldWorks Games line of game terrain. A lot of printing is done to make up 3D game boards and buildings for games and such. Lots of good info there and the folks are very helpful.
Excellent source of info, many thanks, Doug.

Ian
Google Adsense
Old 01-18-2009, 04:03 PM

Laser printing

I know several of you said Laser printers are not good for models but LD2062 in this thread:

WorldWorksGames :: View topic - Laser or Inkjet?

says one of the (main?) guys used a printer for some of the builds.

Ian
Old 01-18-2009, 04:36 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Ian,

Some of us have used color laser prints for modeling, as have I, and I make a lot of vehicle models, while the print looks good, the toner flakes off, when I go to shape body panels, and is not as flexible when rolling parts or scoring them.

You did come asking us for advice, all of us would say, yes color laser great for printing stuff from the web, but not so good for models, but for less frustration, we all recommend inkjets.

in regards to WorldWorksGames, they usually make terrain, and buildings, not the type of models we build.

by the way, what is your interest?
if you want to do buildings and stuff, then yes, Laser would be better.
if you want to build vehicles or aircraft, then inkjet is the preferred output method.

Rick
(unabashed HP fan)
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 01-18-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
in regards to WorldWorksGames, they usually make terrain, and buildings, not the type of models we build.
Ah, that explains it! Thanks.

Quote:
by the way, what is your interest?
if you want to do buildings and stuff, then yes, Laser would be better.
if you want to build vehicles or aircraft, then inkjet is the preferred output method.
Vehicles, ships, sci fi... so inkjet it is

Quote:
(unabashed HP fan)
What's your model?

Ian
Old 01-18-2009, 04:44 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
G55
Photosmart 1315
Business Inkjet 2800dtn
DesignJet 5500 42"

I have not yet gone after a new printer, because these provide to me the best quality
(yes the last two are in my office)
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 01-20-2009, 04:11 PM

You know, Guys, the more I look into this, the more difficult it's becoming. Even Carl's wonderful HP Photosmart C7280 only gets 7/10 for quality on Trusted Reviews:

HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-One Inkjet Printer Review - Printer Reviews - TrustedReviews

There seems to be little consensus in many reviews on many printers, and many seem not to have been reviewed at all.

I think you pays your money and takes your choice. And chance. Hence my post.

I appreciate all your comments. I'm sure I'll make a decision soon

Ian
Google Adsense