PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 04-28-2013, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
60 Watt Infrared Co2 Laser Cutter!

Hi everyone

It's been awhile since I've posted let alone popped in here for a chat.
As usual, my models are on sabbatical for a bit (I was farting along slowly anyways). I've been trying to find work that I can do at home and still care for my wife but that's been next to impossible. Yes, those work from home spam emails that fill my inbox are just that, spam. Well, I figured it's time to do my own thing!
I bought a 60 watt Co2 infrared cutting and engraving laser. This is a sealed, water cooled 1000dpi cutting, burning carving machine! It is capable of cutting anything other than stone and metal and will engrave all of it. Materials can range in form from round items to flat pieces measuring 19 x 13 inches. Auto laser focus, auto honeycomb table elevation, 2 rotary attachments and air assist. I was advised to get a good filtration system so I ordered a HEPA 3 stage filter system that promises 99.9% clean air. One can imagine the toxic crud generated from burning plastics and even paper!

Here's my dilemma...I've never purchased laser cut frames! Chris (ecardmodels,com) and I are going to work together to be able to provide 1st rate frames made of the best material at reasonable prices for some of his kits. I wondering if any of you can give me any ideas of what you would like to see? Are the Halinski frames just simple grey board? I guess the best thing I could do is just buy a couple frame kits and see for myself. Please guys, any suggestions would really be welcome! I have a few samples coming in at 500 microns, 1000, 1500 and 2000 but it is simple grey board. Even a pic or 2 of some of the scrap left over...for those of you lucky guys that have ever bought a complete Shipyard kit, that stuff would be of real interest!
I need to register a company name...now that's a tough one! Burned Offerings?

This is it guys! I received a last settlement from Workman's Comp and figured if ever I had to do something, this is it. Personalizing laptops, phones, ipads etc are all part of what I'm going to try to look forward to but my heart is in the hobby industry. Wish me luck!
Here are a whack of pics taken as the unit was being assembled and getting ready for shipment. It should be landed by mid May. She's a big beast!

Talk soon!
Ron Burns
Attached Thumbnails
60 Watt Infrared Co2 Laser Cutter!-dsc07097.jpg   60 Watt Infrared Co2 Laser Cutter!-dsc07098.jpg   60 Watt Infrared Co2 Laser Cutter!-dsc07099.jpg   60 Watt Infrared Co2 Laser Cutter!-dsc07101.jpg   60 Watt Infrared Co2 Laser Cutter!-dsc07250.jpg  

60 Watt Infrared Co2 Laser Cutter!-dsc07253.jpg   60 Watt Infrared Co2 Laser Cutter!-dsc07254.jpg   60 Watt Infrared Co2 Laser Cutter!-dsc07256.jpg   60 Watt Infrared Co2 Laser Cutter!-dsc07258.jpg   60 Watt Infrared Co2 Laser Cutter!-dsc07259.jpg  

60 Watt Infrared Co2 Laser Cutter!-hepa_filter.jpg   60 Watt Infrared Co2 Laser Cutter!-dsc07265.jpg  
Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Ron,

Very Cool! I haven't ever bought any laser cut frames, but this just might change that!

Sorry I couldn't help with this, but I know others will chime in soon.

Hope your wife still doing ok.

john

My Drawings
Old 04-28-2013, 10:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Sounds like you're jumping in with both feet.
I've bought the laser frames for GPM Rolls Royce Armour Car, but haven't got to it yet. One sheet is a heavy tanish color tag board type material 1mm thick. The wire wheels are on like a 65lb dk gray paper.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:34 PM

that name is a winner friend.......
i just love it and it fits perfectly i do hope you use it...

most of the frames i purchase are from draft models.
its quiet hard but fluffy if you pick at it..so i usually have to glue the edges so they dont fray...

i hope you consider a medium that is harder and less flexiable as for what i cant really say...
the denser it is the better for me...

i would hope for a denser less flexible medium... im going to LEAVE it to the masters here to bring up some good mediums to use...

E
Old 04-28-2013, 11:57 PM

Thanks guys You are the best! Every little bit of info I can glean here will make it better for us in the end. I agree with the denser material. I'm sure it will make little difference to the laser whether it's cheaper notebook type backing or that nice dense black mounting board. As long as we can keep it reasonably priced it will keep us happy! I've used the black stuff for formers in the past but gave up after a kit or 2 as it was such a pain to cut by hand. I can't wait until this thing arrives!
Ron
Old 04-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Good luck with your venture!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:56 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Nice Ron,
Here is a picture of some laser cuts, as you can see, they are from different companies, and one is much finer then the other, thickness of the cardboard is different too, 1mm for the smaller models, but also I also have laser cuts for a B2, they are 2mm thick
remember Avantcard? http://www.avantcard.biz/paper_models ,the site is still up, but they stopped, I loved the 'universal' stuff they had, like bolts and nuts, diamond plate, runway mats..
Attached Thumbnails
60 Watt Infrared Co2 Laser Cutter!-img_3017.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
As enigma pointed out the laser cut frames are made from a low density material and when used for very small parts, about 1 to 1.5 mm wide the card stock just falls apart. I suspect that this material is used because it can be cut faster then denser stock. This works for large parts but on small parts it is useless. Several of the laser frame sets I have seen in the last couple of years have several different sized sheets. The sheets less than 1 mm used a much denser card stock.

What would I like to see are sheets of nuts with and with out holes that don't fall apart.

Jim Nunn
Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
Oh yes.. This is fantastic!! I know I have often looked at a Halinski kit and wanted a set of laser cut formers! I love the name too!! Best of luck!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:49 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nunn View Post

What would I like to see are sheets of nuts with and with out holes that don't fall apart.

Jim Nunn
Man Jim, you really set yourself up for this one.

Naw can't do it........ I know you mean hex head machine nuts, not walnuts, peanuts, almonds,etc..........

john

My Drawings
Google Adsense