PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 02-06-2015, 08:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Epps View Post
I have purchased a scan n cut. $400.00 base model. As earlier stated the only difference is added on patterns for quilting and scrap booking for the more expensive machines..
My first couple of cuts were disappointing. Then I sort of got the hang of how it worked and all I can say the mind boggles. The results are not super fine cuts like you would get from a laser. But they are quite good. As for how thick a material you can cut, I have run 20lb to light cardboard and they are cut with no hassle. The software for the machine from brother is wild. I haven't had the time to learn it well, but from what I have seen it looks cool. It's free by the way. Learning how to use the machine is a journey to you tube. Check it out.
And for those of you that think this is going to replace your knife, forget it. This is a fantastic tool that will help you achieve a model in less time, with more consistent cuts and better quality than you would expect. Granted at the price charged, it costs a lot. So far it was worth it.
Hi Peter,

Thank you for the inside info!

I do have some questions.
1) Any idea on how long the Low Tack Adhesive mat might last?
2) Do you need it for heavier cardstocks?
3) Are you using the normal blades or did you get the "deep" cut versions?
4) You mention it probably won't replace the knife, is this because the finer detail cuts on small parts will still need to be cut with a knife?
5) Last question-it says that the scanner only works with the 12"x12" mat, can it cut the full 12x24 size mat?

Thank you in advance for any answers you can provide!

Mike
Old 02-06-2015, 11:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.57 MB
Hi Guys,
As to your questions.
Blades. The machine comes with two. I have yet to use the heavier one but the lighter one is very sharp, cuts cleanly and they are quite small. All I have been doing is cutting various model parts out to see what does work and what doesn't. So far I'm pleased with the results. By the way my wife bought me the cutter for Christmas so I have not had it that long.
Adhesive sheets. This stuff took a bit of investigation. As you cut there is a small amount of dust and small scrap that stick to the adhesive sheet. Then there become not so sticky. Next step, You Tube. I saw an episode on how to take care of the sheets. Essentially you wipe them down with wet wipes. Just like new. Cut through a mat, put duct tape over the cut on the back and there you have it.The machine comes with 2 sheets. One light tack and one a bit stronger. The light one didn't work well the other is perfect. I will also say that at about $25 per sheet you might want to keep them clean.
You have to stick your patterns down. If you don't you will wind up with a pile of garbage and most probably destroy the machine.
My knife gets a work out for some details you will want to refine.
The 2 mats I have are the 12 x 12. I will get a 12 x 24 in a bit but I see no reason why the machine won't handle the larger size. Also they pitch the scanner for scanning photos and the like, this would not be my choice for that kind of scanning..
Also remember that the scanner uses vector based programs so it's also a good idea to have something like Inkscape.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:22 PM

Hi Peter,

Yes, it does. Big Time!

Knife for cleanup, adhesive pads required.

It sounds like the cutting blade cuts the paper but doesn't go all the way through the mat, correct?

Probably a specific thickness to raise the work to the proper height.
During my search I saw a place that has the mats for less than $20 Wish I had saved it.

On the other thread, it sounds like some think it might be able to "score" fold lines. From what you say it sounds like cutting only.

Once again, Thank You! Very helpful information!

Mike
Old 02-08-2015, 12:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.57 MB
The blade setting is adjustable. You set it so you just cut through the the paper,not through the mat.
I would ay scoring is quite possible. It will depend on your pattern.
I haven't priced out supplies yet but a air amount of online places sell the stuff.
People cut all sorts of stuff with this machine. When I get the chance I will try balsa wood. Could be interesting.
Glad I could help.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
When I get the chance I will try balsa wood. Could be interesting.
Someone on a model railroad forum tried cutting balsa with their Cameo. Didn't quite work as expected, as the blade tended to follow the wood grain instead of the cut lines.

Having said that, let us know the results of your experiment. You never know until you try...
Old 02-08-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
The blade setting is adjustable. You set it so you just cut through the the paper,not through the mat.
I would ay scoring is quite possible. It will depend on your pattern.
I haven't priced out supplies yet but a air amount of online places sell the stuff.
People cut all sorts of stuff with this machine. When I get the chance I will try balsa wood. Could be interesting.
Glad I could help.
Hi Peter,

Thank you for the additional insights!

For scoring, would you use a dull blade or does it have something designed for doing it?

Do you know how it would it tell what to score vs, what to cut?

Looking forward to your report of the balsa experiment!

Very interested in this technology!

Mike
Old 02-28-2015, 12:13 PM
Anime Moderator

Total Downloaded: 23.29 MB
Scan N Cut is ordered!
JoAnn Fabrics online.
Base Unit $359
12"x24" low and regular tack mats @ $15 ea

Package should arrive at my work place in 3-7 business days.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:55 PM

Congratulations!

Hopefully it is money well spent!

Full report please. Really interested in how hard it is to set up, and your opinion of overall performance vs., cost.

Mike
Old 02-28-2015, 01:58 PM
Anime Moderator

I hope it's money well spent too!
Old 02-28-2015, 02:13 PM
Anime Moderator

Seriously though I already have a bunch of things of various intricacy printed up. I promise to put it through the paces. I also have some vehicle graphic vinyl and transfer tape coming from ebay so will be testing that as well.

From box opening through cutting I will give a detailed photo-enhanced report.
Google Adsense