PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 03-01-2020, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
will cut up to 3mm foam...not card.

Brother ScanNCut SDX1200
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Nm3isA8ig

It appears the SDX1200 is not available in North America.
maybe only in Australia?

It has a 300dpi scanner

There are two Scan-Cut units available in North America from Brother...similar but oddly different.
The first handles 12" x 12" material.
The second 12" x up to 72"
(The SDX1200 is 12" x 24")

Both NA units have a 600dpi scanner.

Pricing is virtually the same.

Last edited by airdave; 03-01-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
will cut up to 3mm foam...not card.
I stand corrected. Misread...

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 03-02-2020, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Quote:
Panzerlite's post, at #70, is a very informative one!
Yeah, that about sums up my experiences, I bought one around the time he posted that. I think I posted my findings in another thread but since this one has been revived, I'll chime in again.

I should also mention, I fall for fads and will try anything once, I also have an ability to prevent money fattening my wallet by spending it on things I don't need.

The scan n cut definitely has potential, but I never bothered to take the time to learn how to get the most out of the software, which is required if you want good results.

I would not trust this thing with a bought, printed kit. I ran some experiments with scans of a kit I'd purchased, it was a bit hit and miss but gave me usable parts, seeing as I use putty and paint to finish my models. Printing, scanning and cutting a kit you do not intend to paint would be quite difficult I imagine and was not something I wanted to devote time to.

Finding a machine to accurately cut out a paper model is a holy grail for some people, others prefer to cut all their parts themselves. Other than this machine, I've spent a small fortune on various tools designed to help cut stuff out over the years but at the end of the day, nothing beats the accuracy and satisfaction of doing it with a knife...

I have a project on the back-burner that involves designing and cutting out my own caterpillar tracks for a bulldozer, I'll design them as the required vector art and send it to the cutter, the parts will then be painted. For this kind of work, this machine is perfect.

This machine has other uses though and although I'm yet to really make the most of it, I don't regret the purchase, I just lack the motivation to learn how to use it properly. I have some vinyl cutting to do but just need to stop being distracted by shiny new things that subliminally tell me to buy them.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 03-02-2020, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 169.37 MB
I've have my scan n cut for three years now and have yet to cut a perfect model from it. You cannot simply scan a print and cut. There is never enough contrast between the glue tabs and the paper background. The scanner is just not that smart. I've spent hours creating a vector outline from a digital model file but trying to match the outline to the machines scanned image is tough. (The display screen is just too small). I've come close, but there still some white outlining showing on the cuts.
The dream machine would be a inkjet that also had a cutting head. (Are you listening Cricut and Brother?)
Old 03-02-2020, 11:58 AM

wow, jaffro and panzer...your responses are much appreciated and well to the point.
thank you.

I too was seriously itching to give one of these a try
(even though I respect and appreciate the art of hand cutting).

If they gave out awards for best "comment of the day" this would be it:
I fall for fads and will try anything once, I also have an ability to prevent money fattening my wallet by spending it on things I don't need. [jaffro]

oh, by the way panzer, all large format printer/cutters are inkjet/cutters.
I have access to a real big one.
It could print and then cut a model sheet in one go.
Problem is I still have to spend the extra time to create a cut file along with the print file.
The machine would have to be setup for cutting smaller cardstock sheets.
Test prints/cuts are required to setup the registration, etc.
Cardstock will eat up valuable cutting blades.
And, the Printer is busy 12 hours a day printing large format vinyl and signs.
Google Adsense
Old 03-04-2020, 06:36 AM

Also, not sure if it's been mentioned, the Scan n Cut will try to cut EVERYTHING it picks up in the scan, so even if you have basic prints in good contrast and the machine can cut it, you have to spend time in the software editing out the stuff you don't want cut, such as part numbers and/or various other anomalies that may appear on the parts page.

This technology is still somewhat new though and despite having been around for quite some years now, there's room for improvement and who knows, one day that holy grail cardstock scanning/printing/cutting machine might just appear on the market.

I did like the idea of having some of the work taken away from mundane, repetitive cutting tasks like tank tracks, wheels, etc but I can live without it. I've recently returned to plastic kit building, which although way more expensive than card modeling, is still a lot more satisfying than buying a diecast model car and putting it on a shelf. If that makes sense.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:30 AM

Yeah, a $700 machine that can only be used for cutting out tank tracks is a bit of a waste.

I think if you have one attached to a larger screen, maybe your PC monitor,
the editing would be more comfortable.
But you are still relying on the accuracy and quality of the scanning.

I appreciate both plastic kits and diecast.
...you are correct, there is something to be said for "putting it together yourself".

But for those who have issues with painting, finishes, decals and graphics, diecast is the way to go!

Gone are the clunky metal Dinky models of the 1960s.
Diecast is now a term that encompasses all kinds of pre-built scale models.
...and "diecast" today are made from various materials including plastic,
and can be super accurate in scale and details.

But some diecast have become extremely pricey.
So maybe plastic kits aren't that bad?! lol
Old 03-04-2020, 09:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Most of the folks I know that use cutters use the Silhouette Cameo. In reviews from crafters, who are doing fabric patterns and things other than what we do, they think the software is difficult. But for what we do, if you have any experience with image software, it is supposed to be pretty easy. It has an option for scanning and cutting, but nobody uses it because it is 'iffy'. And it is in the $300 range, not $700. The only complaint I have heard about it from papercrafters is that the cutting mat does not last very long. Many will buy a Cricut mat instead, because they last much longer
Old 03-07-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah, a $700 machine that can only be used for cutting out tank tracks is a bit of a waste.
Absolutely. I have the $700 machine but through a rewards program, was able to purchase it for around half that. Still a bit too much just to be cutting tracks, you could buy a decent number of laser cut sets for that amount.

As for the diecast, they're definitely getting too expensive, but yes, it's nice to have something to compare prices to on some of the "expensive" plastic kits to justify that purchase you've been trying not to blow money on.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:06 PM

Not all diecast are that bad.

Did you know that Hot Wheels are basically still the same price they were in 1968!
If you account for inflation, they're actually cheaper!
Can't think of much else that make that claim.

In 1968, the original Hot Wheels cars sold for a little less than a Dollar (between 69c and 99c)
Today, mainline cars sell for as low as $1.19 retail (up to about $1.75)
Google Adsense