PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 03-04-2022, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 592.55 MB
help: PCs, lightnings,and angry print shop owners

hello!
I wanted to comment that I am having problems with the PC that I currently use... the following happened:
day of heavy rain, lots of lightning... and me editing a papercraft file......"just a little while longer, and then I turn off the pc" I said. obviously... lightning struck very close to home, the electricity went out. and my file was not saved.
To this day I don't have internet... the lightning damaged the modem quite a bit. (currently my cell phone provides internet to my pc)

but the strangest thing is the following: every time i connect the pc to the internet, all the pdf files become extremely slow to open, and edit. (especially the ones I got after the lightning. the ones I got while my cell phone provides internet).
...as soon as I disconnect the PC from the internet...the pdfs are very fast again (to open and edit) (I used adobe)

Another important issue that is happening to me is the following:
(Of course, here in South America it is common to see obsolete PCs doing critical and highly demanding jobs)
Well, my pc is "fairly strong and fast" when opening files and editing them...
one day i just put the pngs, pdfs... on a flash drive and went to a print shop.... the owner said that he couldn't print my files because his pc was slowing down until it crashed.
(they were of many many pixels of resolution) I assumed that either the guy's pc was bad... or my flash drive was faulty (or my files).
some time went by and today went to THREE print shops (including a very reliable one)...they were all blocked or slowed down.

some of the files are 5-12mb pngs... and some pdfs are only kb in size... still, it was extremely slow for the owner to get my files printed. (I got it after an hour).

to clear doubts... he himself copied the files to his pc, (so my memory would have nothing to do with it) and especially the new files (the ones I got AFTER the storm) are the ones that are more difficult to open.

delete adobe... (the default viewer is wps office, although it's terrible... it opens the files perfectly)

I am dizzy with all this . some help?

Sorry for all this thick volume of reading.
Google Adsense
Old 03-04-2022, 07:55 PM

I also thought as a possibility... that my hard disk was damaged (some sectors of the hdd)... by lightning. and that could be that it takes time to load the files...
but that would be on MY pc, not the others.
currently the wps office viewer (very basic) opens the pdfs perfectly. (delete adobe)

I also remember... that a pdf papercraft came with oriental letters... so adobe asked to download a font package... it was downloaded and I was able to visualize the letters it contained.
perhaps that was also...although as I said above...that would not have to affect the PCs of others.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by craft View Post
hello!
but the strangest thing is the following: every time i connect the pc to the internet, all the pdf files become extremely slow to open, and edit. (especially the ones I got after the lightning. the ones I got while my cell phone provides internet).
...as soon as I disconnect the PC from the internet...the pdfs are very fast again (to open and edit) (I used adobe)

Another important issue that is happening to me is the following:
(Of course, here in South America it is common to see obsolete PCs doing critical and highly demanding jobs)
Well, my pc is "fairly strong and fast" when opening files and editing them...
one day i just put the pngs, pdfs... on a flash drive and went to a print shop.... the owner said that he couldn't print my files because his pc was slowing down until it crashed.
(they were of many many pixels of resolution) I assumed that either the guy's pc was bad... or my flash drive was faulty (or my files).
some time went by and today went to THREE print shops (including a very reliable one)...they were all blocked or slowed down.
I don't have a solution for your problem but a couple of things occurred to me that might possibly be helpful:

I can think of two things that would cause a PDF file to be slow to load in a viewer: 1. Your viewer is downloading something from the internet. 2. The file is extremely large. What you write suggests that 1. is happening and 2. is true.

To the best of my knowledge, PDF files are self-contained, whereas PostScript (PS) files may or may not be. Some background: In case you don't know this, PDF and PostScript are two related formats, both developed by Adobe, with the difference that PDF was designed for file exchange and PostScript for sending to printers. In addition, PostScript is a language used for "page descriptions" and also for designing and generating the fonts used in both PS and PDF files. PS and PDF can easily be converted from one to the other. In particular, PDF is converted to PS when printing and a printer will contain a "PostScript interpreter" which converts the PostScript code into instructions for the particular hardware of the printer. It's possible that some printers might be able to skip this step and process PDF directly, I don't know.

A PostScript font may be a "vector" font or a "bit-map" font. This may have something to do with your problem. In a vector font, the letter shapes are essentially defined in terms of equations, so that, for example, a line is stored in the form of two points and an instruction to fill in the pixels between the lines. In a bit-map font, on the other hand, data is stored for each of the pixels in the line. Vector fonts are therefore 1. more compact and 2. scalable.

Your files may well contain bit-map fonts, especially since you mention Oriental characters, and this will tend to increase the size of your files. Can you try getting rid of them for testing purposes? In addition, I think it's possible that the font definitions are being downloaded from the internet. I would expect that local definitions would be used, if present. Perhaps this isn't happening. If a font definition can't be found, a viewer will load a default font as an alternative. Are all the fonts displayed correctly when your computer isn't connected to the internet? Of course, I don't think this should be happening anyway with a self-contained PDF file, but something is definitely happening, so maybe I'm wrong.

As I wrote, I believe PDF files are meant to be self-contained. I therefore don't understand why your viewer would be causing internet traffic. However, in order to test this, you could install a "packet analyzer" and examine the internet traffic on your machine while your file is loading into the viewer. Then you would know more.

This is a list of packet analyzers:

Packet analyzer - Wikipedia

I've used tcpdump and possibly Wireshark and ngrep. It was a long time ago, though.

Another thing you could try would be to reduce the resolution. This is possible in GIMP, for example.

I hope this information will be of use to you. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them.
Old 03-04-2022, 09:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Something else occurred to me: PostScript and PDF files can also contain both vector and bit-map images. For example, if I embed a vector graphic in PostScript format in a PDF document, it will (normally) be more compact than if I embed a corresponding (i.e., visually identical) image in a bit-map format, such as PNG or JPEG, in it. (It would only be less compact for a bit-map with very few pixels, i.e., in a degenerate case.) Of course, it will only be "visually identical" up to a given magnification, since the vector image will scale whereas the bit-map one will "pixillate" at higher magnifications.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Did I understand correctly? when connected to the internet, your files are slow to run?
And when theres no internet, you can open and edit them easily?

but then, you said you deleted adobe?

Just an off the cuff idea...
do you have an Adobe ID?
And are you logged into an Adobe account?

Can you log out of that account, and then try to open a file?

Adobe is a cloud operated thing now...and files are synced and saved in the cloud.
I don't know nuthin about no clouds myself...don't use 'em...but maybe the cloud connection is whats slowing you down?
Google Adsense
Old 03-06-2022, 10:34 AM

-no, I don't have, nor did I have any account of anything...just adobe the free version. (as I said, I currently don't have adobe reader anymore)

Something I wanted to ask for a long time:

there are models... that when I zoom in on the drawing it "re-accommodates", it never loses detail.... or letters that, even if I enlarge, do not look blurry.... I guess this is "vectorial".

well...none of my files are like that (not the ones I had on my flash drive) they are all png or pdf of a "common" image.

In the past, I've taken very detailed 20mb PNG files to the printer...and had no problems. (now that they are 5 or less... even kb took forever to load into the press)

last words...
...it's as if "something" is missing from the files... (it's just a crazy imaginary guess)...and that missing thing makes the files load slowly... even on the printer owners' computers.
and when I (just) don't have internet...everything seems to be "local"...quick to open and edit.

It's the strangest thing that's happened to me since I've been using computers.

(another assumption is damage to my hdd, some sectors COULD be slow to read...although that can't affect others' pc.)

..since that lightning storm, everything is very strange.

Sorry for this heavy reading. and THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP. I appreciate it.
Old 03-06-2022, 11:08 AM

PDF is a container...it can contain text, and/or images.
Images could be any type of bitmap: gif, jpeg, png, and/or vector type images.

A PDF can compress data to a smaller file size by converting parts into other formats.
A vector image could be converted into a bitmap (for example), if the settings are set that way.
Depends on how much the file needs to be compressed (by the author).

A vector artwork file can be resized (bigger or smaller) without any quality loss.
But changes can occur if certain elements are not converted to other formats.
For examples line thicknesses can stay the same, even as you reduce the vector artwork,
resulting in really thick looking lines...the artist needs to convert those lines to fixed objects so they adjust with the image resizing.
PDF saves often include converting lines and artwork for that reason.

But all this has nothing to do with your problems.

You made a statement about files opening quickly when you weren't connected to the internet.
And files taking a lot longer to open (or print?) when the internet is connected.

This tells me that your computer is just slowing down by the internet connection.
A harddrive problem exists all the time, so I doubt thats your problem.

You may need to examine what is running and eating up PC power when you are connected to the net.
Have you fully scanned your computer for malware and viruses?
You need to use varied software for this, and not just basic free antivirus.

Some programs run in the background when they don't need to, so you need to check what is in your Startup menu and background processes.
Old 03-06-2022, 11:53 AM

Thanks for your help...I appreciate it. I will take a close look at the councils.
last question: besides my pc... why would a pdf slow down another person's pc? (that of the printers shops) (3 in total)

also... the pdfs that I had for a long time... open easily (with ADOBE, which I no longer have). and the ones I recently got... take a long time to open.
(with wps office, the current pdf reader... they all open fast)

specifically, the "new" pdf files were the ones I sent to the printing shop. those are the ones that slowed down computers.

thanks and regards.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:40 PM

what size is this pdf?
can I get a copy? email it to me.

I can't judge if theres anything wrong with the pdf based on your statements.
Maybe its just too big, and doesnt need to be.
I don't know, unless I can see it.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:50 PM

nothing that is not known:

ichiyama small cars (some are kb)...canon pajaros...eastern rally cars...and other pdfs that I trust a lot (years of looking at and editing)
and several png (heavy mb)... even the heaviest ones above can be printed without problems (in printing shops).

I don't want to bother you anymore. Thanks for the help. I'll see how I solve it.
cheers
Google Adsense