PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 11-18-2014, 04:35 AM
Anime Moderator

Total Downloaded: 23.29 MB
Brother ScanNCut craft cutter

I've been wanting a cutter for years (as I'm sure many if not all of us do) and with the holidays approaching and the fact that I think I've been a very, very well behaved little designer this year (No homicides or even hurt feelings for that matter) I thought it was time to see where the state of the technology was at and I think it's where I want it to be.

A friend of mine on Facebook got a Brother ScanNCut CM100DM recently so I thought I'd check it out myself. Being unable to physically see performance for myself in our specialized field of application I was still able to determine capability as Brother has an online site to create cutting data for the machine.

Using one page from my current project I was able to create the cut pattern on the left from the image on the right which was uploaded as a 100dpi .jpeg file.(The machine uses SVG as a preferred external input format but as it supports bitmap I thought I'd try a non-vector image) Total time including conversion in Photoshop appx 2 minutes.

While the areas in the arrows were not patterned by the machine I can live with that - it's minimal cutting.

I personally wouldn't care if it took me upwards of a day to set a page up if it means I don't have to cut it so I think I'm pushing Santa towards one of these.

After comparing the models the basic will be just fine for any paper modeler with the additional purchase of a 12" x 24" mat for larger pages. The other models just include more built in patterns and I'm not the 'scrapbooking or quilting type' so the extra cost is unnecessary.

While I can't try it's built in scan function it nonetheless seems better than any cutter I've run across so far.

Anyone else have experience with one of these?

Opine please.

Last edited by TheWebdude; 11-18-2014 at 04:36 AM. Reason: accursed typo gremlins yet again!!!
Google Adsense
Old 11-18-2014, 04:46 AM
Anime Moderator

Cool

I do feel I should add an addendum to that homicide statement - Coyotes are a non licensed year round open season animal in Kentucky and after losing 30 chickens and two turkeys this year they now avoid the crazed long haired tattooed man with the hi-point .380. (Gotten a dozen so far - pay back.)
Old 11-18-2014, 10:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
I have seen the commercials on TV, and I am interested in it. Most interesting is the free trial period. The "space saver" function seems interesting too. I think I'll wait a bit for someone to actually try it completely before attempting a "trial" myself. Thank you for the post, I've been waiting for someone to post about this gadget. At $400 USD for the complete cost as advertised (in 4x payments), not many can afford to chance a tool like that. However, it might actually be worth it for some applications.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWebdude View Post
I do feel I should add an addendum to that homicide statement - Coyotes are a non licensed year round open season animal in Kentucky and after losing 30 chickens and two turkeys this year they now avoid the crazed long haired tattooed man with the hi-point .380. (Gotten a dozen so far - pay back.)
Pretty much the same around my folks' neck of the woods. It was kind of interesting about ten years ago. During the winter, Harry and his neighbor would make dioramas in front of their houses with coyotes dressed up and with all sorts of props ... sort of a Dead Coyote Theater
Old 11-18-2014, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
That Brother cutting machine looks interesting. I would have to see how good it does with assigning cut lines and score lines and how well it can register the head for accurate cuts and scores. Some other cutting machines use registration marks on the parts sheets for cutting and scoring. It also would be nice to know how easy it is to change the blade for a ball tip for scoring since I do not like to cut the score lines.

Biggest problem around here are feral hogs. There is an open season year round on them %$#!! things which is all right by me.
Google Adsense
Old 11-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Anime Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
That Brother cutting machine looks interesting. I would have to see how good it does with assigning cut lines and score lines and how well it can register the head for accurate cuts and scores. Some other cutting machines use registration marks on the parts sheets for cutting and scoring. It also would be nice to know how easy it is to change the blade for a ball tip for scoring since I do not like to cut the score lines.

Biggest problem around here are feral hogs. There is an open season year round on them %$#!! things which is all right by me.
That's why the Brother looks like a winner to me. It has a built in scanner and works on the fly no registration marks necessary as the piece is already loaded and ready to cut after scanning.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWebdude View Post
That's why the Brother looks like a winner to me. It has a built in scanner and works on the fly no registration marks necessary as the piece is already loaded and ready to cut after scanning.
Have you pulled the trigger and bought one yet? Wondering how it works for your projects; if you have.

Mike
Old 02-06-2015, 01:38 AM
Anime Moderator

I pulled the trigger but it was a slow burn cartridge. We'll leave it at "Worst Christmas ever so far" and this is where some of the tax return is going in a few weeks. I'm going with the base unit and adding the 12"x24"mats and some extra blades. Also have vinyl and application tape lined up on ebay and plan on doing some vehicle graphics with it.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.57 MB
I have purchased a scan n cut. $400.00 base model. As earlier stated the only difference is added on patterns for quilting and scrap booking for the more expensive machines..
My first couple of cuts were disappointing. Then I sort of got the hang of how it worked and all I can say the mind boggles. The results are not super fine cuts like you would get from a laser. But they are quite good. As for how thick a material you can cut, I have run 20lb to light cardboard and they are cut with no hassle. The software for the machine from brother is wild. I haven't had the time to learn it well, but from what I have seen it looks cool. It's free by the way. Learning how to use the machine is a journey to you tube. Check it out.
And for those of you that think this is going to replace your knife, forget it. This is a fantastic tool that will help you achieve a model in less time, with more consistent cuts and better quality than you would expect. Granted at the price charged, it costs a lot. So far it was worth it.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Anime Moderator

Thumbs up

Thank you for sharing your experience Peter! I'm really looking forward to mine. Any guesses on blade longevity? I'm getting a few extras just in case.
Google Adsense