PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 01-28-2016, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Time for a New Printer

The time has come for me to get a new maid-of-all-work printer; the usual print/scan/copy wireless that is ubiquitous today. I've been looking at the Canon Pixma MG2922, which seems to be middle-of-the-road in terms of capabilities for a budget-priced home-use printer. Does anyone on the forum have any direct experience of this model? Is it reliable, and did it print out card model pages with proper color/no smearing, etc?

I'd appreciate opinions from anyone who has or has had this printer.

Thanks,

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 01-28-2016, 04:30 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
At least you asked about a specific model instead of asking who likes vanilla or chocolate ice cream better...........

Sorry I can't help with this model, I have had Canons in the past and they have worked very well, but currently I use Brother printers for all my printing......... both laser and inkjet.

My suggestions are:

1. check out the cost of supplies for the printer (ink mostly)

2. get one that will print the largest sized paper you think you MIGHT need, (In my case 11x17)

3. see if non-OEM ink works well with the printer by doing some internet research to see what others say that have that printer.........

4. stay away from a printer that requires you purchase anything other than just ink refill cartridges (HP (cough)).......... or better yet see if a continuous ink system is available for that model........ if you print a lot it is worth the investment.

Most named brand printers are pretty reliable these days.

Just my opinion............

My Drawings
Old 01-28-2016, 11:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
Canon has also started offering a continuous ink based solution.
You may want to check if this is offered in your region:
http://www.canon.com.ph/PRODUCTS/PRI...ixmaG2000.aspx
Old 01-29-2016, 01:26 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
My experience with gel based units has been terrible. Do not buy a gel printer.

Ink based - so, so.

The problem with the above is the consumption of consumables and thus the related cost. Gel jet machines are really heavy on consumable usage

I would say pay the extra and go for a good toner based machine. In the long run you will certainly save on consumables.

------------------------

Models change very frequently. so I cannot currently make a sensible recommendation for a toner based machine, but I am sure someone else can!
Old 01-29-2016, 02:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 96.24 MB
For thinner stuff a toner is nice and can be left sitting weeks on end without clogging or drying. Thicker stuff would be ink based and with direct manual feed thru, which mean a larger footprint. Compact foot print means most likely the paper has to curl around before finishing. Over time, it will jam with the thick cardstock. Most lasers heat from the backside of the page so the toner tend to be marginal on very thick cardstock. Forget Minolta and Xerox printers. Some of their lasers use a waxy type toner. I had an old Minolta color and the toner cracks when folding. Also check the cartridge replacement cost. Some models are more expensive then other models. Toner may be nice but cost more upfront for replacement cartridges while ink replacement is more frequent. Over time the two will cost almost the same. Many color lasers use a transfer belt which may add to the cost if you plan to keep the laser for years. I retired two lasers because the cost of a new transfer belt is almost the same as a new printer.

Chucky
Google Adsense

Tags
printer, model, time, reliable, print, direct, card, experience, smearing, wyvern, opinions, proper, color/no, forum, pages, capabilities, wireless, ubiquitous, today, print/scan/copy, usual, maid-of-all-work, printer;, terms, budget-priced