Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 08-31-2016, 10:00 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
I sent you a PM Wad Cutter.....

My Drawings
Old 08-31-2016, 11:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
One thing I would like to emphasize in this little project: take the cold white 24 V strip with 120 LEDS per 100 cm, not the one with 60 LEDS, and take the highest K you can get (at least 4000). Waterproof strip is nice for swimming pools, but totally unnecessary for your working table and it costs extra. Invest in light, not in useless things. A dimmer is a must. The trafo you might have somewhere as a leftover from a low voltage lamp or whatever. There should be a label on it, giving the Voltage and the Amperes. V=A x W.
Once you have all the items, the construction of the lamp is a breeze. You just need a small soldering iron and some wires.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:05 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Thank you John for answering where to buy the bar for the Arch light. wc
Old 09-01-2016, 11:20 AM
Eternal Member

There have been a few questions about the height of the arch..........

Ok........ I'm 6 foot tall and standing in front of my table the arch is as tall as I am....... and I measured from the surface of my table to the top of the arch and its is exactly 3 feet/ 36 inches above the surface. My table is 42 1/2 inches wide. It is an old library table that my Father-in-Law "acquired" and I liberated it from him many, many years ago.

abhovi - I wasn't aware of 24V LEDs, I saw these (12V) and since I will be trying them out in the RV Trailer I'm redoing, that fit in well for me....... I can run them off 24V batteries or 110v to 12V adapters........

My Drawings
Old 09-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
John was is your advice as to going 24 v over 12 v? What I'm looking at is max-adjustable light but safe at the same time. Mine will never leave the table unless I move. wc
Google Adsense
Old 09-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Eternal Member

John, was it your advice to go over to 24v or stay with 12v? What I can use is max bright and adjustable with a dimmer. Sorry about that. Honest, I don't drink. wc
Old 09-01-2016, 01:56 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Been following this thread and finding it most interesting. One thing though - what is a "trafo" please?
Old 09-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Eternal Member

WC.........

I only have tried the 12v LEDs....... and I believe the 5560s(on order and what I sent you in the links) will be very bright, probably bright enough that when mine come in I will be able to lose one or both of the main lights I'm using still.

I'm thinking "trafo" might mean transformer, as in the 12v or 24v adapter........ but I could be wrong.

My Drawings
Old 09-01-2016, 11:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 332.86 MB
Now I know I'm out of my league... I use battery powered LED Christmas lights arranged on a PVC tube frame... workable for me as an assist to my Ottlight, but I never would have thought about using LED light tapes in that way...

Last edited by AdmRevrac; 09-01-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
I'm out of my league as far as the English language is concerned.:-) Here in Holland we call a transformer a trafo, sorry about that. Our current is 230 Volts and if you want to feed your 24 V leds you have to use a transformer. In my case I used a .3 A transformer. For one meter LED strip 14.4 A is required, which means that for my 5 meters of strip I can feed about 80 W.
I'm sure nobody in America has any use from this, as you have a completely different electrical system over there. But for me it works gloriously.
Google Adsense