Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Curt,

I certainly can

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...set-42159.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...-set-1816.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...set-93514.html

The first two links I have actually bought
the 3rd link, i want to check it out the next time I am at the store

I also have bought this to hand some long metal items and scissors from, and it is in arms reach
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-...der-61199.html
I screwed mine into the side, under the top of a chested drawer unit where I have my DVDs and some paper models stored
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 05-04-2018, 11:02 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Rick, let me ask another question! Only in relation to PAPER modeling tools.

When you find a new tool do you adopt it (sometimes) and then use it regularly thereafter?

The reason I ask is because while I have quite a few tools I invested in, apart from the odd specialized tool (like the hole cutter found by Issac) - most never ever get used. Back to old faithful!

Nowadays I admittedly do not buy new paper modelling tools. And while I sometimes have the urge, I resist it and I am no worse off. And I have realised I would not have used it really either, as what I have is perfectly good.

I think that what I am saying is that the PAPER modelling tools I have settled on - after years of experimentation admittedly - are fine now. I am comfortable with my the few tools I always use. Are others the same? For the odd limited use as well I can find something to cobble by.

I would still like to try some Fiskars scissors though...... But then they would probably end up in a box or drawer with me reverting to my cheap pair of many years!

---------------

Having said all that Rick, that's a great shop you have there. I would have loved to be able to brouse it. Keen prices as well. Incredible actually compared to the prices here (often 5 to 10 times as much in similar stores).

Last edited by Kevin WS; 05-04-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:13 PM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
Jon is a legend in the IPMS community. He hails from Chicago and I actually saw that B2. The Air Force bought it from him and have it on display somewhere.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Rick,

Those picks remind me of my big fat dental hygenist pinning me down with her bazongas and attacking my mouth! They may be useful but not for me. The magnet thang on the other hand really looks useful.

MS
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-05-2018, 09:20 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Kevin,

In some cases yes, those two O ring picks(the ones with the red center barrels) i use quite often in order to pull a side closer to the edge, or i use it to burnish the tab and squeeze out excess glue.
in the case of the of the picks, there are some more useful than others, they have a much finer point to them, so the remaining damage to the part is usually reduced.
and yes, Harbor Freight is like an adult version of of a toy store, they have everything you might need, and usually multiple SKU's for some items, weekends tend to be very crowded, the other day Dad and I picked up a Blower/Vacuum corded electric combo for $39.99 and that was after a coupon for $10 off the shelf price.

Mike,
I love my tool hanger, i have my scissors and longer tools hanging on it so they are close by, yet out of my way
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 05-05-2018, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Sometimes you get a coupon for a magnetic tool hanger that is free with any purchase. So you can go to Harbor Freight, buy anything no matter how low in price and get the hanger for free.

I look for stuff to use in paper modeling every time I go there. Haven't found any good hole punches like the original purpose of this thread referenced. The smallest hole punch I have is 1/16" or around 1.6 mm. Probably got it from Widget Supply. It is a Fiskars 2350 - 1/16 inch Round Soft Grip Hand Punch.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Dang you. I was going to be a good boy this month....but just had to plunge for the hole punch and micro saw. Got really tempted by the scriber. Says its good for punching out holes in instrument panels for Pl****c kits as well.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Having only done paper for about 6 months I just have to ask--- do you ever have enough tools?
No!

Hole punch-20180506_100342.jpg

What I find amusing, is the fact I turned to this hobby as a cheaper alternative to the cost of plastic kits. Since then, I've managed to spend a small fortune on a collection of tools and accessories and as others have mentioned, I'm always finding and buying new stuff to help build my models. Including something I just found in this thread...

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 05-06-2018, 09:02 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DC View Post
What convention is this and where?

Is there a site c details?

Thanks much; wish I could go.

Thats a bit more than I can drive.

I have been researching the efficacy of paper modeling activities in countering or impacting neurological conditions; specificallly stimulating neuro-path development. Working with young people's been found to positively impact a series of commonly diagnosed conditions.

Working c teachers has led to strong qualitative support and quantitative evidence has been gathered through FMRI mapping.

Keep up the good work with them...
Old 05-06-2018, 09:11 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DC View Post
Thanks much; wish I could go.

Thats a bit more than I can drive.

I have been researching the efficacy of paper modeling activities in countering or impacting neurological conditions; specificallly stimulating neuro-path development. Working with young people's been found to positively impact a series of commonly diagnosed conditions.

Working c teachers has led to strong qualitative support and quantitative evidence has been gathered through FMRI mapping.

Keep up the good work with them...
Could you make it to Sterling Virginia, or Carlisle Pennsylvania?
Google Adsense