PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 01-02-2019, 03:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.59 MB
Silhoutte Cameo for Christmas

Santa brought me a Silhouette for Christmas! Man, I am stoked! So far, so good, even using the basic, free version of the software, I was able to score and cut pages from my designs. It can open dxf files which Pepakura and Inkscape both can export.

I used a dried up ink pen in one tool holder to score the the lines and a blade in the other tool holder to cut. I was able to cut and assemble Nosferatu's head in just a few minutes.It is pretty accurate even on the small detail cuts like the eyebrows and lids. I'm loving it so far. I guess I can retire my homemade plotter now, as this machine will plot with any ink pen as well as cut.
Attached Thumbnails
Silhoutte Cameo for Christmas-img_20181230_171520.jpg   Silhoutte Cameo for Christmas-img_20181230_171526.jpg   Silhoutte Cameo for Christmas-img_20181230_171553.jpg   Silhoutte Cameo for Christmas-img_20181230_171609.jpg  
Old 01-03-2019, 11:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 166.39 MB
You should always get a new toy for Christmas... It keeps the child in you alive...
Old 01-03-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerlite View Post
You should always get a new toy for Christmas... It keeps the child in you alive...
Exactly!!!
Here are a couple more pictures of playtime! I tried to get on camera an example of the scored lines. I also learned if I invert the dxf file, the scoring is perfect for mountain folds. Theoretically, I could flip the cardstock and score the valley lines too. I'll have to experiment with that a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Silhoutte Cameo for Christmas-nostwo_01.jpg   Silhoutte Cameo for Christmas-nostwo_02.jpg  
Old 01-04-2019, 12:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Interesting stuff. Glad to see you posting you're learning experiences but what exactly do you mean by "inverting" a dxf file.
And I'm sure you've noticed that Karin uses cutting of dashed lines for both types of folds on her miniature villages. Presunably effective in at least some situations.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice View Post
Interesting stuff. Glad to see you posting you're learning experiences but what exactly do you mean by "inverting" a dxf file.
And I'm sure you've noticed that Karin uses cutting of dashed lines for both types of folds on her miniature villages. Presunably effective in at least some situations.
Thanks! I mean mirroring the drawing, or scaling it in a single axis by -1. That way the scored lines end up on the inside of the model. The first couple of tries I made them dashed and let them cut, which is fine, I'm sure, just trying to replicate my regular workflow. I score my fold lines with a dull knife, so I thought I would do the same using the cutter.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Can't help thinking I should have beeen able to work that out for myself, but then different programs do have different terminologies for the same thing. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
I have the Silhouette Portrait and I am very glad having it available. I love it esp. for pages with lots of small parts. Big time saver!

Also one of the Silhouette - I don't remember which one - has the capability to "emboss" for scoring instead of dash-cutting.