PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 02-08-2019, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.28 MB
Fountain pen

For health reasons I have started to write with fountain pen

I notice that it would make nice score tool and have done some playing around and have found that with ink in pen that there is no need to paint the edge.

But I do not have right combation of nibs and pen yet and was wondering if any body has tried thes yet before I go and spend money on a something is not gonna work

Chucky
Google Adsense
Old 02-08-2019, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, Ckendzierski. You pose an interesting question. If you have tried using a fountain pen for scoring, and it works for you, then keep experimenting. I'm sorry I can't offer you a selection of pens and nibs to try, as I don't have any experience using them as scoring tools. But if you can find a solution, we'd be interested in hearing about it.

However, I think there are a couple of things working against the idea. Firstly, a steel pen nib is by necessity split down the middle to allow the ink to flow from the resorvoir onto the paper. This creates a weakness in the nib making it less resistant to downward pressure. Once too much pressure is applied, and the two halves of the nib have splayed out, it will become useless as both a scoring tool and a writing instrument. For scoring, I myself use a very dull No.11 blade with a very dull and rounded point held in an old aluminum X-Acto handle.

Secondly, having a fountain pen full of ink rolling around in close proximity to my paper model parts sounds like a mess waiting to happen. We try to build our models as cleanly as possible, and a splotch or two of ink in the wrong place could ruin a part, or a whole model.

But again, if it works for you, go with it. I've looked with interest at the tool sets of other paper modelers, and they contain both tools that I don't own, and those I would never have thought of using.

So, to each his own, and best of luck.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 02-08-2019, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Speedball now has a fountain pen line, I have only used the "inkwell types", they were a standard in sign shops in years gone past

https://www.speedballart.com/our-pro...ball-pen-sets/

Mike
Old 02-08-2019, 06:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I use a dead ballpoint pen for scoring. Never thought of using a fountain pen. (Though the word "fountain" around a paper model does cause bad thoughts...)