PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 08-04-2019, 11:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Battery backup

The white flag for the last lap of the IMSA Lamborghini race was thrown just as a power hiccup happened. Was a quickie but shut everything down. Happened some when I lived in Glendale, but fairly often up here in the hills. Has anybody had experience with using the available battery backups like Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, etc. sell?
Google Adsense
Old 08-04-2019, 11:13 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
buy a unit that can handle more than what you have/need.

and buy the best, APC, I have used others, but they all have died quicker than the APC units.

Yes, they are a bit more than others, but would you want to replace all of your stuff if they get fried?

The APC units used to come with software that would automatically shut down the computer and monitor after some set interval, helpful if you are out and about, and you just happen to leave your computer on, I am not sure if they still do, but check around

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-04-2019, 12:57 PM

Thanks Rick, I always shut the computer down if I'm not working on it. Plus when we get a thunderstorm blowing in (old habit from my folks shutting stuff down during storms in OK).
Old 08-04-2019, 07:57 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Just be aware that all battery backups are made to just give you enough time to shut down everything in case of a power failure..........they are not a substitute for when the power goes out and you can keep doing stuff.

If you are working off a laptop using the adapter to power it and the power goes out your laptop battery(if it is good condition) will do a better job keeping the system going than a battery backup system........but if you using a desktop you will also need to plug in your monitor or when the power goes out your desktop will continue to run, but you won't be able to see anything on your monitor.

With the newer laptops they are as powerful as a desktop and have the added safety feature of the battery for when you are using the adapter for power and the lights go out.

My Drawings
Old 08-04-2019, 10:49 PM

Was aware of the limitations but was just looking for something that would either carry it through a few seconds hiccup (which I get a lot up here) or give me time to do a proper shut down if its a long outage. I think most of the electrical system here was originally done by the REA and has had nothing but patchwork done since then.
Problem with laptops besides being more expensive then equivalent desktop is screen size. Have enough problems seeing with the 24" monitor I have now.
Google Adsense
Old 08-05-2019, 09:59 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

This was in one of the daily emails I get from Amazon
https://amzn.to/2GPiUpH
up to 43% off, might be time to strike
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-05-2019, 04:33 PM

Thanks Rick. Been avoiding Amazon and PayPal, along with Ebay.
New problem to deal with right now anyway since I can't get backup to work, so trying to get that figured out right now. Be down in Phoenix area on Thursday so will check out Best Buy.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:59 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

the other option you might want to look at is a standby generator, we have one running off our natural gas supply, used to be connected to a propane tank, has helped when trees or drunks decide to take down the local overhead lines
Old 08-05-2019, 08:45 PM

That is a thought since a lot of people up here have them, never thought about plumbing it off the natural gas line.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 26.66 MB
I use an APC 1500VA for my rig, runs my monitors & the box. A major consideration for me beyond the ~30 minutes of power (or less for heavy tasks like encoding or games) is the sine wave cleaning feature.
Most electricity supplies are 'dirty' & this cleans the power being sent to the PC.
Apparently more than 90% of home electronics failures are down to dirty electricity which is caused by things like generators, badly maintained infrastructure & external forces.
With the micro-voltages involved in microprocessors it's nice to be sure the PSU & the mobo are getting stable solid power.
If you have a generator this feature is especially important & might save you hours of random unfathomable errors, data corruption & lockups.

TBH when I first got this I was surprised how many times this has shown me drop-outs in current strength on my powerline & that it is then supplementing with the battery to retain stability.
These units are not cheap but they're important & seem to pay for themselves esp if you spend a lot of money on hardware or if you have really important data.
Google Adsense