PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 03-12-2022, 07:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 26.66 MB
In a nutshell - If any devices work & you have multiple PCs, it is easiest to copy off/swap files between drives to get things to talk to each other properly. I.e. Find a USB stick the 'problem' port likes & then give it the files you have previously copied off elsewhere.

Otherwise... A couple of basic things to try:-
1. Eliminate hardware faults
i. Test USB drive in a 2nd PC - copy all files off into temp dir. Test those files work.
ii. Test other USB sticks in the same socket that is giving the error 38. Copy & paste something & check it opens OK.
You can do this both ways -
-from PC to USB > open file on the USB
-from USB to PC > open file on the PC
This verifies the hardware is probably OK (you need special diagnostic software to 100% check these things out but this is an easy at-home workaround).
iii. Optionally format the USB stick that is causing the issue - exFAT or NTFS (I prefer NTFS for compatibility between WINXP-W11 PCs & filesize handling). Copy your tested files (back) on to the drive & try again in the faulting socket.

If the unit has a faulty USB port (& this could be any part of the USB chipset not just the port itself) check your warranty for a solution. On a laptop a faulting controller can mean a new board & possibly a big bill.

2. Error 38 is possibly device specific i.e. it is just that drive on that PC.
i. use this - USB Oblivion - to erase USB device specific registry entries that cause this issue. (Use the reg backup function it has just in case.)
USB Oblivion download | SourceForge.net
The reg cleaner you mentioned is unlikely to do this as it reqs very specific caveats to be met.
ii. If this fails to resolve it you can try to clean install the USB & storage handling drivers. NB if any USB sticks work perfectly this is unlikely to be necessary.
[This would be due to local file corruption - you MUST have the WIN install media &/or internet access for the OS to get new clean files! You can of course find & install any . sys's .dll's etc manually (record the filenames that are being deleted to re-acquire them via a search & have them ready at reboot) but I'm assuming you don't routinely do that kind of task...]
Thru Device Manager uninstall & select the delete local files option.
Reboot & allow WIN to reconfig itself with 'new' drivers that it will auto-acquire from MS online or installation media - you may need to manually point it to those files.

Try the drive again....

& some related info -

If you use/rely on WIN Restore Points (I Don't...cos they are unreliable) make a new restore point AFTER you have the OS running as you want it, this makes a restore point created on the incorrectly working config obsolete. Of all the backup software I've used IMO Macrium is currently the best for OS backup/restore. Free version available.

If you are serious about keeping data - DO NOT RELY on USB SS or HDD media.
Banks don't.
Failed SS units, if they can be accessed at all, cost $ks to recover in a lab - 10mb can easily cost $1000.00.
Use high quality optical media CD DVD or BD e.g Verbatim (esp. Mitsubishi-made media) or the industry best - Taiyo Yuden.