PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 12-02-2009, 06:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Thumbs up Continuous Ink Supply System (CISS)

I've been eying this device up for a while now but just had to wait til the current cartridges in the printer ran out - or one of them anyway because you can have to replace them all at once to install the CISS.

As you can see, the tanks are considerably bigger than the standard cartridges and they are refillable - all you do is order a separate bottle of the necessary ink and use a supplied syringe to refill the external tank. I keep the tanks behind the printer out of sight, out of mind and out of the way of marauding cats...The lines run in through the same channel used for the USB connection cable - you do have to take care not to snag them when closing the cover.

All the details on the tank sizes, printer models supported, costs etc are on the on the website but I just tried to go there to get them and it is 'down for maintenance' at the moment. The cost for the CISS delivered was NZ$75, compared with NZ$55 for a set of non-Brother cartridges - get the real Brother cartridges and the cost is over the NZ$75 of the CISS.

I assume such things are available overseas but the local site is www.melcotechnologies.co.nz

I only installed it last night and printed out a recipe for dinner (a South African curried mince and potato if anyone is interested) and one of CT's monitors. So far as my eye can tell the quality is the same as with the original cartridges and my main problem remains a printer that does greys and greens...
Google Adsense
Old 12-02-2009, 07:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
... and out of the way of marauding cats...

see!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it always comes back to those damn cats! lol

good luck with the setup, by the way
Old 12-02-2009, 07:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Finally another convert!
I'm using CISS for over a year now (Epson Photo R300) and I'm in love with the system. Initial purchase is comparable with new set of ink cartridges (six in my case), but for the same price I got twice as much ink and refills are dirt cheap :D
Old 12-02-2009, 08:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post

see!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it always comes back to those damn cats! lol

good luck with the setup, by the way
I used to laugh at the guys with cat problems til my first attempt at Lancer's USS Montana 5" turret became a play thing!! Couldn't print out another til I got some new ink...

Last edited by SJPONeill; 12-02-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
Old 12-02-2009, 10:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Try investigating ways of either cleaning the print head or the intake nozzles for clogs (most likely your print head). I remember back in the days of my Epson ( I use Brother too exclusively now) the heads were notorious for clogging and weren't replaceable. I used to use syringes with tubing and force Windex through the heads through the intake nozzles until they were clean. I'm sure the print head is the problem on your Brother and if you can't clean it a new one will probably be inexpensive.
Best of luck getting all the colors to come through
Ron
Old 12-04-2009, 12:43 PM

Some printers have print heads that are replaced with new cartridges.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Banned

LDProducts.com has incredibly cheap prices for Epson printers. I routinely remove the print assembly to clean the whole cartridge as if you don't use the printer all the time they clog or build up dust and other lint. They clean easily with water (I use distilled, no minerals). Since I go long periods without printing a CISS isn't worth it and at $48.99 I can get 4 blacks, and 2 each of the other three color cartridges. Add one cartridge at the regular price ($5.99) and shipping is free.

Epson Stylus CX3810 Ink Cartridges - LD Products