PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 07-17-2010, 10:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Well, the problem with the HP 9600 is that it wouldn't print a tabloid size sheet...for some reason, it would not recognize the paper as being the "correct" size for the settings (but it would print ok for letter and legal. The 9800 has now decided it will print only if a brand-new (read very expensive OME) color cart is in it...which makes it just too expensive for my needs. Plus, they are much noisier than comparable Epson models. I will probably get a new HP color cart to make it run, and use it only for printing black and white pages, or see if I can pawn it off on some poor, unsuspecting suck---er, starving, cash-strapped student.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:41 PM

Hermit, I haven't used one yet, so don't know just how well it will do on cardstock. However, I have no reason to suspect it won't handle it just fine. The paper path doesn't seem to be much different from the other Epsons I've had, and all of them (over a half dozen different models over the years) did just great on 110 lb stock. When it's up and running, I'll make a report on it. Some of the customer reviews on the Officemax page inferred they were doing fine with "heavier" paper. I don't think I would want to run bristol board through it, but 110 lb should be ok.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Darwin,
I have an HP 9600 and have the same problem you
have. It will not print on A3 paper it just runs through
a blank sheet. The printer drivers are for Windows XP.
On my main computers I have Windows 7 which I believe
is the cause of the print problem. I have an old Desktop
with XP still installed and it may work on it. Otherwise
I may go the route you are going for printing On A3..Ron
Old 07-17-2010, 11:17 PM

Ron, I was trying to use it on a computer running XP....with XP drivers. No joy at all.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
On the 110 lb stock goes. On my Epson 1280. Under the cover, it have a lever that you can set to print heavier, thicker paper or canvas. I would guess the 1100 would have the same feature too. I just checked the spec earlier. The 1100 will print A3, Premium Glossy Photo Paper. So printing 110 lb should not pose any problem. I just wish it use archive inks for that price. I was thinking about buying one more printer. One for work and one for play. Then, the thought of buying inks for two printers..... not so good idea.
Google Adsense
Old 07-18-2010, 12:26 AM

goodduck, I checked.....a refill kit is available on ebay that, for $28, provides enough ink for six refills of a "large capacity" cart. It includes empty cartridges that (1) include the electronics required to operate the percent remaining feature of the driver and (2) are transparent so you can see exactly how much ink remains in them. And, for about $90, you can purchase the "constant flow" system (including at least a pint of ink for each cart) to hook the computer up to an IV drip. Compared to OME cartridges, that is cheaper than dirt.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
I had setup like that about 1.5 ~ 2 yrs ago paid over 90 bucks for. I give that up cause I just have to have archival ink to print anything. The artist in me don't feel right whatever I printed don't last 90 yrs or so, even it is sitting out in the landfill somewhere. :D
Old 07-18-2010, 03:12 AM
Eternal Member

My Epsom CX3650 prints very well even on 220 lb card just have to set it to the heavy matt when printing when printing my Art work christmas cards.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:38 AM
Eternal Member

Darwin get to ebay there is a CIS system for 49 dollars on there ok more fifty. and be more when you put in a bid says they have more than 10

CIS FOR EPSON WORKFORCE 1100 PRINTER NON-OEM CISS INK - eBay (item 170493348000 end time Jun-29-10 20:56:15 PDT)

I don't know the person selling by the way just seen it a minute ago when looking for the price of the printer in Ireland.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:34 AM

The only problem I've had with Epson printers(I've used Stylus T10, T30 and TX110) Is the slight horizontal banding that's visible if you don't choose the right print settings for your paper, it's not really noticeable unless you're running low on ink or the ink heads are clogged up(which happen very quickly if you fail to print regularly).

Otherwise, Epson and Brother brand printers are the best from what I've experienced in my time of printing stuff. I'm currently using a new Epson TX210 after my 110 suffered a strange clogging disease and died on me, for printing kits and parts and a Brother MFC-295CN for photo printing and photocopying needs, both installed with CIS Systems, which are definitely cheaper than buying ink cartridges, which cost a whole lot more than they should here in my country.