PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 08-07-2010, 10:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 33.47 MB
I also have a MFC-6490CW and I love it. Prints beautifully.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Many thanks for all the helpful comments. Maybe I can catch up with the Brother machine at Staples and see how it prints a test. I think it is a flat bed scanner as well - can someone who has one please verify that?

I have also learned of an alternative , at least for the printer part: Not quite ledger size, but almost, and capable of using archival quality ink. The Epson 1400 printer, for about $220. Epson Stylus Photo 1400 Ink Jet Printer - Product Information - Epson America, Inc. This sounds like the same one that Swampfox mentions, but this one still seems to be available, and they don't mention going out to 100". 19" would fit my bill nicely.

So maybe I can still let Kinko's do my scanning, but do all my printing at home? Cheers,

Last edited by papermodelfan; 08-07-2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: More info from another contributor to thread
Old 08-07-2010, 11:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Mmmmm.....if it can manage to feed a CD disk through it, 1 mm cardboard shouldn't be a problem. It looks almost like (and similar specs) like my Workforce 1100, except uses six ink carts instead of four. Actually, does somewhat better than ledger size paper....tabloid (11 by 17) is the same as "ledger," and the Photo 1400 will print up to 13 by 19. I'd recommend checking Ebay on prices for the 1400...may be able to shave another $50 or so from Epson recommended price.

PS. Just checked. Take a look at this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Epson-Stylys-140...=COMP_Printers

If I didn't have my workforce, would take a try for it myself. And, yes, cis ink system is available for the Photo 1400.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.59 MB
Brother printer/ scanner

Yes, the Brother has a 11" x 17" flatbed scanner. The page feeder is for scanning multiple pages automatically. The Brother scans and prints very well.
Don Mick
Old 08-08-2010, 03:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermodelfan View Post
I have also learned of an alternative , at least for the printer part: Not quite ledger size, but almost, and capable of using archival quality ink. The Epson 1400 printer, for about $220. Epson Stylus Photo 1400 Ink Jet Printer - Product Information - Epson America, Inc. This sounds like the same one that Swampfox mentions, but this one still seems to be available, and they don't mention going out to 100". 19" would fit my bill nicely.
Rob, that's the one I have alright. I didn't think it was still available, I've had mine for about 6 years and it still runs like new. I've had 65# and 85#-13X24 inch card stock cut for mine and it prints just fine. I've never needed 100" stock but I'm thinking a print shop could custom order it, although I can't imagine what I'd use it for.

Good luck if you decide to go that route.

SFX
Google Adsense
Old 08-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Rob,
If you read the reviews beyond the first page you get some people
who are not satisfied with this printer. Some have had trouble with
paper feed, print head clogging, excessive ink usage and cartridge
costs. Also the ink cartridges that come withe the printer list a
light magenta and a light cyan and only one black cartridge. My
Epson 1100 comes with two black cartridges, one magenta, one
cyan and one yellow. I find that the 1100 uses as much yellow as
the black cartridge. Hope this helps.....Ron
Old 08-08-2010, 09:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Well that brings up another question - getting some ledger sized card stock. At least 65 weight, and maybe more. Swampfox - you had some cut for you ? like at a stationery store? How did you arrange that? (I see I am getting a little deeper into the mire here). The ultimate goal here for me is is to reproduce some of the Japanese tatebanko at full size, so am also starting to think about printing on flimsy sheets of thin special rice or mulberry paper.

Thanks for all the terrific advice. This looks pretty manageable, actually... Now to start finding it cheaper.

Rob T
Old 08-08-2010, 09:39 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
11x17 card stock
Staples Cover Stock Paper, 11" x 17", White | StaplesŪ
HP Premium Plus Photo Paper, 11" x 17", High Gloss, 25/Pack | StaplesŪ
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-09-2010, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Office World has some heavyweight and medium weight tagboard in the following sizes in inches: 9x12, 18x12, 24x18, 36x24
100 sheets per pack.
I have some 9x12 heavyweight and medium weight.
The heavyweight mics out to 0.010"/0.26mm, 252.08gsm or 140lb
The medium weight mics out to 0.008"/0.21mm, 176.83gsm or 65lb

https://store.officeworld.com/home.a...tType=&FileID=

Seems like you cannot link directly to the search results page so:
click on that link
On the Manufacturer (#3) drop down choose Pacon
Select Paper on next page
Select Art & Drafting Materials on next page
Select Tagboard on Page 2

There are listings for heavyweight and medium weight in the various sizes in manila and white.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermodelfan View Post
Well that brings up another question - getting some ledger sized card stock. At least 65 weight, and maybe more. Swampfox - you had some cut for you ? like at a stationery store? How did you arrange that? Rob T

Rob, when I lived in Denver I use to go to a paper store called ExpedX. If you ordered, I think it was a certain $ amount that I don't really recall ($50 comes to mine) they'd have their supplier cut custom sizes. As I recall I ended up with about 500 sheets and 2 other people I use to work with split the purchase with me.

I know ExpedX is a fairly large company and they have stores across the US, and maybe even world wide. If you can't find one near you, look in the phone book for wholesale paper suppliers.......

I just checked their web site and here's the link:
http://www.xpedx.com/

As far as the negative comments on the 1400, I guess it's like any other piece of hardware, you can end up with a lemon.... I didn't.

Hope this helps.

SFX
Google Adsense