PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > HOWTO: Use the forums

Old 09-22-2008, 07:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.92 MB
Mea Culpa - The Lloyds Building London

Hi Guys

I know you like looking at models in progress so I've posted a couple of pictures of my attempt to build Lloyds of London building.

A couple of background points : this is an old kit, published in 1985 and I bought it then, had a go, and after a while put it in the loft in despair - as you do!

Last year I dug it out again to finish it and realised that some key components were destroyed beyond repair so I spent some time on the internet and found a copy in a second hand bookseller in London. Delighted - did a deal and took it home.

It's pre-printed and pre-cut, which can be OK, but the quality is sensational. High quality chrome printing, plastic inserts for the atrium AND the most incomprehensible instructions I've ever come across. Anyway that's my excuse. It got put away today in disgust at my inability to finish it for the second time, hence the photos and 'mea culpa'.

I got thinking about all the guys joining this hobby and thought a few words might continue encouraging them :

* I'm supposed to know what I'm doing so I built it out of sequence and paid the price (even though I had about 80% spares)
* White glue onto highly polished chrome parts is an art I've yet to master, apart from guaranteeing that glue will get on your fingers and mark the chrome, so you have to rub the surfaces down, but marlks always remain
* ALWAYS build a model that you want to do, not one you think you should do
* remember you need stamina, you might not think so at the outset, but after a couple of months in avoidance, you know you've probably 'lost the plot'
* when the model starts to fight back walk away - if you find yourself walking away every day, time for a re-think
* have the courage to stop - I feel guilty about not getting through models (this is my second failure in succession) but it's probably for the best
* make your next model relatively simple - I'm now doing a steam locomotive for 7 - 10 year olds and it's great!

Having got that off my chest I feel better. Still a great hobby though ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lloyds.pdf (160.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: pdf Lloyds2.pdf (189.2 KB, 44 views)
Google Adsense
Old 09-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Nice list - although I still think it boils down to a simpler statement - 'Hobby's are for fun - make sure they are '
Old 09-22-2008, 01:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Whoa! That IS an impressive looking model. You said "pre cut" and I'm thinking of a children's kit. It is nice.

I can identify with most of your points. I would just like to add that walking away doesn't always mean that the model is dead. Sometimes I just don't feel like building a certain thing at that time. I have gone back to models after almost 2 years of neglect and finished them.

But you do need stamina to plug on to the end. Boy do you ever sometimes!

Thank you for enlightening me about this very nice model.

Carl
Old 09-22-2008, 01:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
A wonderful build and an astonishing building. If you go to the public gallery of that building (Level 7 I think) you can see the claim written down for the Titanic...
Don't go on a weekend, the whole area is closed!
I had the pleasure of building a 'show' in this building and abseiling from the atrium.. the twisted 8 descender was rendered useless after that drop on account of it getting darned hot! but well worth it.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.92 MB
Thanks for the replies and in particular for being reminded that this is a hobby. Quite right. The model is being put away safely and I expect to return to it in a few months. Although pre-cut I must say I would grade this model as 'formidable'. As for abseiling the building you have my respect but all I want to do for the moment is forget all about it. Interestingly that brings to mind another tip : if you can get it, do the research. There's little substitute for looking at the real thing if you can.

The 7 - 10 year old locomotive is going well - just what I needed. Thanks guys.
Google Adsense