PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > HOWTO: Use the forums

Old 09-03-2009, 06:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Can't upload profile picture

I'm having a hard time trying to upload my profile picture. The file is hosted in my PC, jpg format, 99X99 pixels and 10kB size.
When I upload it, it appears in the frame but when i go to save it, it says "Upload of file failed".
I also tried to upload another image, taken from the net, but the result is the same. Can't upload.
Any hint? Any help much appreciated.
Ah.. i'm using a ubuntu linux machine.
Google Adsense
Old 09-03-2009, 07:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Hi and welcome again.
The devil is in the small print

"Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller)."
Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 AM

If you have the image set to the correct pixel specs and it won't show... sometimes just copying the file and renaming it will do the trick.

David
Old 09-03-2009, 09:43 AM

Hello maurice and outsketcher.
@maurice
Yes, devil can be in the small prints, but it should at least not trying to fool me... eheheh...
The picture upload page is reporting misleading information, saying "the maximum size of your custom image is 100 by 100 pixels or 64.0KB,( whichever is smaller)"
Downsized to 78X80 pixels, 2.5KB but nope, it continues failing the upload.
I'm clueless... but i keep on thinking that ubuntu linux is involved with this problem..
Old 09-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
You have a profile pic uploaded. I'm guessing you want the picture that shows up next to your name when you post? Try 'Edit Avatar' on the User CP page and see if you can get that to work. And that's where the 80 x 80 or 19.5 KB limits come from.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:05 PM

thank you dansls1. Now it´s showing up, but still receiving the warning "Upload of file failed". This is strange... maybe a forum code mishap, but whatever, I worked it out!
Old 09-04-2009, 05:04 AM

Question

I'm having similar problem with the avatar. I click "Browse...", find a small GIF (32x32 px, 1 kB), click on "save changes" and nothing. File selection field is empty and avatar is not here. So I try to link to the same image on the web: I copy its URL in the upper field, click "save changes" and... again nothing, the URL field returns to its default state ("http://www.") and I'm still having that tiger. Converted the image to JPG, just to be sure it's not because of the format, and it also doesn't work. ("use custom avatar" is checked, of course)

Do I have to write some certain number of posts, get some rights or whatever, before the avatar settings is allowed? Or should I keep trying different computers and browsers until it starts to works?

Thx.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:09 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by B@F View Post
I'm having similar problem with the avatar. I click "Browse...", find a small GIF (32x32 px, 1 kB), click on "save changes" and nothing. File selection field is empty and avatar is not here. So I try to link to the same image on the web: I copy its URL in the upper field, click "save changes" and... again nothing, the URL field returns to its default state ("http://www.") and I'm still having that tiger. Converted the image to JPG, just to be sure it's not because of the format, and it also doesn't work. ("use custom avatar" is checked, of course)

Do I have to write some certain number of posts, get some rights or whatever, before the avatar settings is allowed? Or should I keep trying different computers and browsers until it starts to works?

Thx.
Not that I'm aware of - but you have an avatar uploaded now as well, so either it's working and still giving an error or you figured it out.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:00 AM

The tiger is not mine, it's some default avatar I've got since the registration.

Tried: uploading image, posting URL, repeating it, deleting avatar, logging off and on and doing all the previous things again, Firefox 3 and IE 6 on one computer, IE 6 on another computer in another town.
Result: none. It seems I should make friends with that tiger instead .

Well, never mind. I's nothing I couldn't live with.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:22 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
We don't have default avatars here, i do recognize it as being one of the images bf109 posted a couple of weeks ago
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense