PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Improved Stock

Old 03-07-2014, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Leif, you and some others on this site are such wealths of information and advice. I feel like a shallow idiot most times.

Thanks for the last bits of information. Very interesting for those of us following along here.

Joe
Old 03-07-2014, 10:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.47 MB
Those cut-a-ways are insanely cool! Thanks for sharing! I wish I could get a full size, less blurry version of that Bleriot XI poster - I'd hang it in a frame I'm still going to make use of this picture however, so thanks again.

I note the auxiliary gas tank in the tail boom section. This wasn't present in the earliest Bleriot models and I therefore chose to omit. Certainly not too late to change that decision...what do you folks prefer?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:15 AM

I spent some time looking around for the poster. Also looking for the name by the artist. Couldn't find a high resolution print.

Best I found was a ~27" x 9.3" 72 dpi jpeg. Same one as Leif posted.
If you'd like that one at least, PM me your email and I'll send it.

Joe
Old 03-07-2014, 10:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Joe, I was actually on the hunt for a Spad cut-away drawing that came up in a search for drawings of that aircraft. The Bleriot (and the Fokker Triplane cut-away dwg) were just "collateral damage"...

Bob, glad you liked them! The tank in the rear of the fuselage was an emergency flotation tank for the Channel flight, I believe.

- L.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:57 AM

Right Lief, that poster calls it an "Air floatation bag for emergency decent on water" - I've never seen it referred to in this way before. I will see if I can confirm this. If so, then it truly adds a lot of "color" to the model and I will take the pilot seat out so that I can make this part and insert it into the boom. Should be very easy to make.
Google Adsense
Old 03-07-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden01 View Post
I spent some time looking around for the poster. Also looking for the name by the artist. Couldn't find a high resolution print.

Best I found was a ~27" x 9.3" 72 dpi jpeg. Same one as Leif posted.
If you'd like that one at least, PM me your email and I'll send it.

Joe
The one on that website is 1947 x 672, 72 dpi. I think that's the same one you have...
Old 03-07-2014, 11:03 AM

Yup, that's the one.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.27 GB
Formidable I think that is what Messr. Bleriot would say upon viewing your model. The level of detail you have achieved is quite remarkable. I especially like the steam bent bamboo to strengthen the cockpit area. Light and strong, this is what made the Bleriot XI last through WW1 as a trainer for many countries, although with upgraded engines, while the delicate Taubes and Antoinettes faded away.
Good show!

Formerly Styrene
aka David
Old 03-07-2014, 11:51 AM

Thank you Mr. Styrene! I am looking forward to making some more good progress on this model now that the weekend is nearly upon us. I painted the Anzi engine with acrylics during the week and I must say that in silver and black it looks a lot more like a working engine than it did when it was wood, wire, plastic wire insulation and modelling putty!

Some of the latest progress photos, so folks don't have to read the entire blog to up to speed...
Attached Thumbnails
Bleriot XI - heavily modified!-fg-bleriot-mod-w.i.p.-040.jpg   Bleriot XI - heavily modified!-bleriot-scratchbuild-4.jpg   Bleriot XI - heavily modified!-bleriot-scratchbuild-6.jpg   Bleriot XI - heavily modified!-bleriot-scratchbuild-3.jpg  
Old 03-11-2014, 02:40 PM

Just a quick shot of the painted engine, front and back (so you can get a good look at the carburetor and exhaust pipes) before I install it...
Attached Thumbnails
Bleriot XI - heavily modified!-bleriot-scratchbuild-9.jpg   Bleriot XI - heavily modified!-bleriot-scratchbuild-7.jpg   Bleriot XI - heavily modified!-bleriot-scratchbuild-8.jpg  
Google Adsense