PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Improved Stock

Old 03-14-2010, 11:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Kevin, this is impressive. You've really given us some great tips as well as a beautiful build thus far. Thanks tons!! I've thought of building one of these FG B-24s, but just haven't gotten to it for numerous reasons. This thread is an inspiration to start.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I've used styrofoam trays for support on a number of models and it really does come in handy. It's do easy to form, yet has enough integrity to make a difference. Spray glue does have a tendency to eat into it. I use regular Tacky glue.
Kevin, I'm really enjoying seeing this one come together!
Chris
Old 03-14-2010, 12:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Looking really fine, Kevin. Have to remember the meat tray tip.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.38 MB
Would green floral foam work as well as the meat packing trays? It seems the floral foam would be easier to form but I'm not sure of its structural strength.

By the way, the B-24 is looking great.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Another update...

Thanks again for all of your generous comments on the "Princess".

Since I've last posted I've started working on the four engines, nacelles, and cowls...This is going along very well. I have to say that the parts are fitting together exceptionally well. My hat is off to you John Dell..Great design. I drilled out a hole in the center of each engine and the attached gear reducer and fitted it with a length of aluminum tubing. This tubing will hold the props in place in the future. stay tuned....One helpful hint for anyone considering this build...(I read this in another thread here not too long ago..and I'm glad I followed their advice) When building the cowls DO NOT cut out the center circle until you have the part assembled. If you do, you are asking for trouble, as it will be very difficult to glue with out the part getting really deformed.

spgifford, your idea of green floral foam would probably work just fine, however, I have not tried it. The foam meat tray that I used was just something that I found laying around the house plus it was the same thickness that I was looking for.

Peace,
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM B-24 Princess-b-24-014.jpg   FGMM B-24 Princess-b-24-013.jpg   FGMM B-24 Princess-b-24-012.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-15-2010, 09:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Looking great, Kevin. You're at the part that gives me all the trouble with mulit-engine planes.
I'd love to build one of the versions. Hope your build will point me in the right direction.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Kevin,

I used two pennies when I put it together, and they worked fine. May have been overkill though, since others have said one did the job.

I can tell by your pictures that your Princess will be better than mine. It was my first attempt at a large model, and I had a difficult time. I finished it, but wasn't satisfied, so I'll be watching what you do for tips for my next effort.

Happy modeling,

Garland
Old 03-16-2010, 12:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Your B-24 is looking awesome, Kevin!

For those you you looking for cheap, thin, styro to use for reinforcements, another source (that I use) is egg cartons. The lid usually has two flat rectangles that can be cut out to give you two sheets of approximately 3" x 5" to cut parts, braces, etc. out of. One more tool in the ol' arsenal....

Wyvern
Old 03-16-2010, 03:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Hey Kevin this is not a tank! Nice job there
Old 03-16-2010, 09:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.06 MB
Very Nice:D
Google Adsense