PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Improved Stock

Old 03-23-2010, 11:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Sorry I don't have any new up dates on the B-24... I've just been way too busy with school this past week. I really don't have much left to go, only a few small details here and there and oh I almost forgot...the props...I hope to have it finished up over the weekend.

Thanks again for all of the nice comments guys....and a big thank you to John Dell, for setting me straight on the front landing gear...I never would have guessed the doors opened inward....Now they will be coming off.

I'm looking forward to getting the other FG bombers...I can't wait to build either the B-17 or B-29 next.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:16 PM

The B-24 is ALMOST DONE... I promise...only 3 more props to go!

Sorry... I'd attach a couple of photos but I need to get some fresh batteries for the camera...

Anyway, I have one quick question for you experts.... Here goes...Is there any rigging on this aircraft? i.e. from the antenna to the vertical stabilizers or somewhere else? I checked some photos but don't recall seeing any..just want to make sure.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:09 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStephens View Post
The B-24 is ALMOST DONE... I promise...only 3 more props to go!

Sorry... I'd attach a couple of photos but I need to get some fresh batteries for the camera...

Anyway, I have one quick question for you experts.... Here goes...Is there any rigging on this aircraft? i.e. from the antenna to the vertical stabilizers or somewhere else? I checked some photos but don't recall seeing any..just want to make sure.

Thanks for the advice.
I just trawled through many images of the old girl, but no wire antenna to be found, even on a line drawing one doesn't show up
http://380th.org/HISTORY/Images/pt5-...s/image021.jpg
Old 04-02-2010, 06:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
B-24 AIRCRAFT ANTENNA SYSTEMS
There are six separate antennas on the aircraft:
* The Command Set Antenna is a single wire which extends aft from alongside the top turret to the top of the left vertical stabilizer.

* The Liaison Fixed Antenna is also a single wire which extends aft from alongside the top turret to the top of the right vertical stabilizer.
* The Radio Compass Sense Antenna is a vertical whip type mounted on top of the aircraft at Station 5.1 and accessible through a junction box mounted in the top compartment of the life raft area.
* The Marker Beacon Antenna is mounted under the fuselage below the catwalk on standoff insulators. The lead in is at Station 5.0
* The Radio Compass Loop is mounted topside at Station 5.3 to 5.4.
* The Liaison "Trailing" Antenna is a single wire wound on an electrically operated reel located under the flight deck.

*The trailing wire antenna
The trailing wire antenna is one type of radio antenna found on a B-24 Liberator bomber. It is used for long range radio transmission on medium or low frequencies. It is 150 feet of fine, flexible copper wire wound around a spool type reel and weighted at the trailing end by a 10-pound lead weight. When not in use the weighted end fits flush against the fuselage on the undercarriage of the bombers. When long-range transmission is necessary, the reel type mechanism, located in the radio compartment, is cranked out so that the weighted wire trails below and behind the plane. The training manual reads, "know your length of antenna with which you are operating. Full transmission may save the life of your crew."
Old 04-02-2010, 07:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
When long-range transmission is necessary, the reel type mechanism, located in the radio compartment, is cranked out so that the weighted wire trails below and behind the plane. The training manual reads, "know your length of antenna with which you are operating. Full transmission may save the life of your crew."

And it wasn't unusual for a collection of weights to accrue in the trees, bushes and fences at the end of the runways either <G>
Old 04-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Brilliant Dave
Old 04-05-2010, 07:58 PM

Dave thanks for all the info about the many different antennas on the B-24... I decided to just finish the model using the "Stock ones" that were included with the kit....I don't want to spend any more time on this project, it's time to move on to something new.

I finished everything up on Friday I've just been too busy to get around to posting the final pictures.

This airplane is a lot bigger than I first imagined. With it's 27" wingspan, finding a good place to display her is going to be a bit of a challenge.

Here are a few images of the props followed by some final pictures of the whole shebang...I hope to get some better photos outside under natural sunlight to post here in the near future so stay tuned.

Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM B-24 Princess-b-24-045.jpg   FGMM B-24 Princess-b-24-046.jpg   FGMM B-24 Princess-b-24-039.jpg   FGMM B-24 Princess-b-24-040.jpg   FGMM B-24 Princess-b-24-041.jpg  

FGMM B-24 Princess-b-24-042.jpg   FGMM B-24 Princess-b-24-043.jpg   FGMM B-24 Princess-b-24-044.jpg  
Old 04-05-2010, 08:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
very nice kevin very nice indeed
Old 04-05-2010, 08:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Excellent build, Kevin! I hadn't been interested in the B-24 til I saw your build. I just bought it from FG.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
nice nice nice!
Google Adsense