PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Improved Stock

Old 03-08-2010, 01:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
"Texan" US Navy trainer 1/100 scale

OK, I am going to give it a try. I plan on doing this trainer at 1/100 scale pretty much "as is" or as printed but with a clear canopy (black interior, no cockpit:(). It should be fun, I have not done anything this small for a while. I also plan on doing the IAF version in the Modded category also, in the same scale.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
"Texan" US Navy trainer 1/100 scale-dsc00307.jpg  
Old 03-08-2010, 02:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
The Texan builds into a fine model.
Don't know how you folks do those small sizes.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:26 PM

The few tiny planes I have built are mainly FG models. I made a 1/110 scale me-109 by printing it out on a 4x6 index card. Worked out well. I think the Texan will build at least as well at that scale. I hope...

CT
Old 03-08-2010, 04:36 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Watch the canopy CT. It's too wide and will sit too low. You need to cut out a sliver of paper from each side, front and back. The wing doesn't fit into the fuselage cutout very well either - needs trimming.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:39 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
one more thing with the wings - you'll have to fashion a fillet for the bottom trailing edge - there'll be a hole after you fit the topside fairing.
Google Adsense
Old 03-08-2010, 07:16 PM

Thanks Don,
I did a quick build of my Israeli repaint to test it out (at 1/60 scale) and ran into those issues, well almost. The fairing topside fit but for some reason did not leave a hole, just a white spot from the underside of the paper. I possibly put them on to harshly, bending them too much. At anyrate, nice to know it wasn't just me! I will correct these issues as I build the 1/100 scale model.
CT
Old 03-08-2010, 08:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Corey, looking forward to seeing both versions.

Hmmmm, a catagory for making the most versions of one type.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:03 PM

I should have enough "Texan" planes for at least 12, so I can do a clock! That is, if I do more recoloring. Considering all of the countries that used them, there is a surprising amount of info on them, right down to the serial numbers! And if a guy did run out, I could always do the "movie" version of the Texan, painted to look like the IJN aircraft!

CT
Old 03-09-2010, 08:03 AM

OK, got the canopy about ready. The "glass' is about dry. It is only Elmore's white glue. I wanted something opaque because I will not be doing the full cockpit. Also, this will allow some trimming of the glass parts when I fit it to the body. As Don said, the canopy as is is just a bit wide, so it needs to be fitted in place. I am also hoping that, with a coating layer of white glue, the seam lines on the glass sections will blend well.
CT
Attached Thumbnails
"Texan" US Navy trainer 1/100 scale-dsc00308.jpg  
Old 03-09-2010, 10:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct ertz View Post
I should have enough "Texan" planes for at least 12, so I can do a clock! That is, if I do more recoloring. Considering all of the countries that used them, there is a surprising amount of info on them, right down to the serial numbers! And if a guy did run out, I could always do the "movie" version of the Texan, painted to look like the IJN aircraft!
CT
I don't remember if the chip "package" includes an Argentine version:

or this one:

If this exists maybe I'll give a try to this plane.

Looking forward for your build.
Google Adsense