PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Improved Stock

Old 03-28-2010, 03:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
FGMM Lockheed Vega

Now that I've finished the (very) long term project that was occupying my bench I can join the party. I'd like to build Amelia's Lockheed Vega as improved stock. Basically pure stock but using some hobby shop wheels instead of the kit-supplied ones.
Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM Lockheed Vega-vega1.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-28-2010, 08:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Oh Goody. This is the bright red plane that I fly around in in my dreams. Looking forward to the build.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
I had hopes that someone would take this one on. Glad to see it is you, Wag. These aircraft from the 30s are quite interesting. I look forward to your build.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.98 MB
I printed this one out when it was released and plan to build it soon. Looking forward to your build of it!
Old 03-30-2010, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.06 MB
Great Choice:D I built this one when it came out and added clear windows. I want to go back to it and do the detailed engine as well. Looking forward to your build
Google Adsense
Old 03-31-2010, 04:51 PM

I have to apologise for my lack of progress. It's been 70+ degrees the last few days which is very welcome after a Minnesota winter.:D Anyway since Bob mentioned the engine I thought I would start there. The lower engine in the photo is the same engine plate seen in most FG models with a radial engine. Very simple,very easy and it doesn't look bad at all. The middle engine is also a 2-d cutout but with optional pushrods and I rolled the cylinders for a 3-d effect. The top engine is the full 3-d engine. It's great to have choices! I think I'm going with the middle one-it captures the look of a Pratt & Whitney beautifully.
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM Lockheed Vega-100_0263.jpg  
Old 04-03-2010, 11:53 AM

Construction continues apace...

If the pace is continental drift. I carved some balsa cores for the tail. The text suggests 3/16" but I had 1/8" handy and I don't think I would want to go any thicker than that. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the fuselage later this afternoon.
Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM Lockheed Vega-tail.jpg  
Old 04-03-2010, 12:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Very nice! I really like your choice of engine option. Also the semi-glossy paper looks nice too. I look forward to seeing more as you progress.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
I've to say if I build the 3d engine this one goes to the plane! Very nice build. Keep the good work.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:07 PM

It looks like an airplane

After a HUGE easter dinner I sat down and did some model building. The fuselage went together with no major problems. The wings on the other hand... the instructions have you glue the wing skins together and then form to shape. I could not make this work. I ended up forming the center section and outer sections then bringing them together. I also noticed a small error in the registration #s. The ones on the wings are correct but the ones on the rudder are not. Kind of embarassing to only notice this 3/4 of the way thru the build. I have to give kudos to FG though-I e-mailed them late sunday night and they have already corrected the problem. If you want to build this one make sure you download the latest version.
Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM Lockheed Vega-vega.jpg  
Google Adsense