PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Improved Stock

Old 04-01-2010, 12:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
my 11 year olds entry-Grumman Skyrocket in 1/33 scale

OK, after seeing the progress my 6 year old has made, my 11 year old spent hours on the Fiddlers Green site looking for something for himself. He finally settled on the Grumman sky Rocket, in the comic book colors of the "Black Hawk". He wanted to do one in 1/33 scale, and add a cockpit. I do not have a cockpit for the real skyrocket, so I lifted one from another 1/33 scale plane that he can make fit. He plans on using packing tape for the canopy and fitting in the cockpit. Not too much else as far as changes though, pretty much stock. This should be fun to watch!

On a side note, I tried to get him to do an Army Air Corp colored one, using the nose of a mustang for the engine cowlings, as the Amy version would of had Merlin engines. But he is happy with what he decided on. The model went from 3 pages to six!
CT
Attached Thumbnails
my 11 year olds entry-Grumman Skyrocket in 1/33 scale-dsc00355.jpg  
Old 04-01-2010, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
I've often wanted to do the Sky Rocket. I didn't know they had it in that color scheme...this should be quite interesting!
Old 04-01-2010, 02:23 PM

OK, Michael jumped right into it after getting home from school. He wants to use plastic discs to simulate the spinning props and make it with gear up while in flight. I guess he will have to make a 1/33 scale pilot from clay or something.:D

Jordan lost his seat at the work desk!

CT
Attached Thumbnails
my 11 year olds entry-Grumman Skyrocket in 1/33 scale-dsc00361.jpg   my 11 year olds entry-Grumman Skyrocket in 1/33 scale-dsc00360.jpg  
Old 04-01-2010, 06:41 PM

OK folks, Michael is getting his full of flower peddle nose on this one. He is doing it though!
Attached Thumbnails
my 11 year olds entry-Grumman Skyrocket in 1/33 scale-dsc00362.jpg  
Old 04-01-2010, 08:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Good on him...hope it comes out good. Of course if it doesn't...print a new one.
I always have trouble with those "flower peddle" things. They either fall together, or it takes me two or three tries.
Google Adsense
Old 04-11-2010, 04:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Hooray for Michael!

Looks like the model is coming along very well. If you can get that nose assembly built, Michael, you will be on your way.

I loved the original Blackhawks when I was Michael's age, especially their Grumman Sky Rockets.

I hope you will build many more models and share them with us, Michael.

Don
Old 04-11-2010, 07:41 PM

Micheal spent the last week at his dads, but his model was the second thing he checked on when he got home (the first was the fridge). He wanted to see how how his glue and reinforcing dried, and to make sure I didn't touch anything while he was gone. I suspect tommarow after school and chores he will be doing some gluing!

CT