PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Improved Stock

Old 04-03-2010, 03:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
FGMM Fokker Dr1 Ernst Udet 1/72 scale

Okay, I just couldn't resist building one of Chip's great models for the heck of it. I've built quite a few of his airplane offerings over the years, and I find them always a blast to build! His designs always provide a very nice model, although I find the urge to add a few tidbits to each build.

I always wanted to build one of the Fokker Dr1 offerings, something about the tri-wings always caught my eye, so I picked the Ernst Udet version from Jasta 4. I just liked the color scheme, to be honest.

It went together quite easily, as always, but a few things I felt just needed some modification. The engine, for one; I just don't like the flat, simple radial the kit provides, so I scratch built the cylinders. It was a really very simple addition, and I fear the cylinders are still a bit thin but I'll change that the next time I build one of these kits.

I also had to change the prop a bit...just didn't like the flat version from the kit. I still used the basic parts, I just built up a hub and added the blades to that. Same thing with the wheels, I built them up with a bit of extra card for the outside and inside parts of the tube, nothing fancy, just added a bit more dimension to the wheels. I also found the machine guns were surprisingly just the tubes for the barrels, no receiver, so I built up a simple rectangle for the receiver and added that to the barrels. I also added the protruding flash suppressor (if that's what it's called) to the end of each barrel.

I always find the struts to be a bit of a challange, and I fear they don't exactly line up the way I would have liked, another feature to improve in the next build. I trimmed the tail skid and added a bit of wire inside for some stength, but it's still basically the skid from the kit. I found the kit was missing the tail struts, so I just doubled up some excess card and added them.

Finally, I just had to add the control lines and little horn thingies for the control surfaces, added the few support wiring (using small fly silk thread) and then made up a step and hand hold that runs along the bottom of the fuselage, as shown in the three view drawing that comes with the instructions.

In the end the result was quite pleasing, and nice addition to the other airplanes I have built in 1/72 scale from the FG line. So, here's how she came out...sorry, no build thread photos, I wasn't thinking of doing a build thread at the time, but I thought you'd like to see how this one came out.

Thanks for stopping by and having a look.

Cheers!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM Fokker Dr1 Ernst Udet 1/72 scale-pc160002.jpg   FGMM Fokker Dr1 Ernst Udet 1/72 scale-pc160003.jpg   FGMM Fokker Dr1 Ernst Udet 1/72 scale-pc160006.jpg   FGMM Fokker Dr1 Ernst Udet 1/72 scale-pc160008.jpg   FGMM Fokker Dr1 Ernst Udet 1/72 scale-pc160011.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 04-03-2010, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Here's a few more photos.

Cheers!
Jim

Not sure if this qualifies as braille scale, which I would consider being a scale of 1/100 or less....
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM Fokker Dr1 Ernst Udet 1/72 scale-pc160013.jpg   FGMM Fokker Dr1 Ernst Udet 1/72 scale-pc160017.jpg   FGMM Fokker Dr1 Ernst Udet 1/72 scale-pc160015.jpg  
Old 04-03-2010, 03:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Wow, really cool job on that one!
CT
Old 04-03-2010, 03:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
a very clean, beautiful build!
Old 04-03-2010, 04:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Very nice job there, Jim, She sure is a beauty....Your rigging is especially nice...well done!
Google Adsense
Old 04-03-2010, 06:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looks good! The extra details really add to it.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.06 MB
Nice one Jim
Old 04-03-2010, 10:19 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
That is a beauty. Well done . The scalpel is an excellent indicator of how small the model really is. Lots of precision in a small package.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Beauty model Jim I like a lot...
Old 04-04-2010, 09:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.17 MB
Jim;
Another master work of art. Your build is so clean.

Looks great.

Sam
Google Adsense