PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Improved Stock

Old 04-28-2010, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Y'know, Andy, I was just looking at the FG JU87B and as it's so simplified in the form, I think if someone were to rework the canopy, the kit would be almost as close to the D version as it is to the B now. The slightly more streamlined D is most easily recognized by the canopy and the extended wing tips. If that change were made, adding the guns would look a lot better!
At any rate, got the wings on early this morning;
FGMM JU-87B Stuka-img_3796.jpg
I cut the flaps and aileron loose to attach separately to the wings later. It's just such a Stuka thing that I have to do it!
FGMM JU-87B Stuka-img_3797.jpg
Yes, the wings were a pain... as well as a bit of a mess. These are most definitely not the easiest Stuka wings to build. With no internal formers, it's very difficult to set and then maintain the dihedral. On this one, the wings came out really well, but when I glued them in place, the dihedral was affected. The wing tips should be slightly higher than they are. Drat.

Just in case there are any interested recolorers out there watching, he's some idea of what a winter JU-87 might look like;
FGMM JU-87B Stuka-img_3798.jpg
I did this one a while back. It's not a recolor, I just desaturated the greens. But I like the look!
Chris
Old 04-28-2010, 01:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Looking good Chris, what a surprise that you build this one!:p
Old 04-28-2010, 01:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Chris, you have me thinking about something here. Where there any D or G models that carried the AT guns in desert schemes? I am looking at possibly taking the BW version, scaling it to 1/32 and doing a desert scheme with washed water colors. Having the AT guns would be a nice bonus if it was historically accurate.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:43 PM

I'm thinking this variant...but in desert scheme.
The Junkers Ju-87 Stuka

It would really be cool.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:15 PM

Several things to think about. First, I believe that the G version with the AT wing cannons were only used on the Eastern Front, so alas and alack, no desert scheme that I know of.
Second, scaling this one up to 1/32 may be more of a job than you think. It really needs a couple of formers as it is now and scaled up would definitely require some form of internal support, especially for the wings/wing mounts.
Third, sadly, there appears to be no complete B&W version available. There's only the first page. I harassed Chip about this a while back and he was kind enough to spend some of his valuable time trying in vain to track down the rest of it.
BUT, I'd sure love to see someone take a shot at it nonetheless.
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 04-28-2010, 02:37 PM

If you look at my build thread over at the FG forums, there's some pics of a stuka I was building in 1/32. I did it with 110# stock and it was pretty firm. The project was stopped after an acciden involving my 6 yr old daughter(bless her heart), a large cup of hot coffee, a slinky and the completed fuselage.....the scale I don't think will be a problem but, leaving the guns off kind of hurts. As for the missing sheets, shouldn't be a proble for the local copy shop to take sheets from the regular version or, for that matter just take the entire large version and remove all of the color leaving just the lines. I have a friend that works in a print shop that could probably do it for me. He does all of my model print outs for me. Just a thought.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
Attachment 44071
Yes, the wings were a pain... as well as a bit of a mess. These are most definitely not the easiest Stuka wings to build. With no internal formers, it's very difficult to set and then maintain the dihedral. On this one, the wings came out really well, but when I glued them in place, the dihedral was affected. The wing tips should be slightly higher than they are. Drat.
Chris
I had a similar problem with the dihedral on the Corsair. I sorta solved it by running a bead of CA along the connection line, and holding it until the dihedral set right. Not perfect, but it was the best I could do at the time. You seemed to have gotten it right. In the picture, at least, the wing tips look pretty high.

Garland
Old 04-28-2010, 02:44 PM

Looked like your Stuka was coming along well, Andy. Did you get to the wings on it at all? That's where I suspect some additional support might be necessary.
I'd love to see what you come up with working with the printer. It sure would be nice to have a good B&W Stuka to play with!
Chris
Old 04-28-2010, 02:51 PM

No, the wings were finished but never made it to the fuse. The fuse was totally destroyed by hot coffee. So, I binned the whole thing and moved on. I was thinking of making a sort of jig to attach to the inside of the wing sections. Kind of like the jig that comes with the model but for the inside to help it keep shape and keep it firm. I was also looking at using bamboo rods in the leading edge of all three sections. I actually use bamboo rods for almost every model I have done. If I should happen to get my hands on a large version FG stuka BW .pdf what should I do with it? I don't think I can just hand it out...what would need to happen with it..?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:16 PM

If you get the B&W done, give it to Chip so he can add it to the FG stuka file!
Chris
Google Adsense