PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 09-11-2013, 12:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I was keeping track of the time it took to cut each sheet out and it worked out to almost 70 minutes of laser time. That doesn't include me loading files, aligning the sheets or checking focus. I am also standing watch over every sheet that gets cut as it (the laser) is a pretty good source of fire! Time wise, it's pretty fast. Some of the aircraft kits with 100's of parts can run up to 20 minutes of cutting time per sheet! I guess what I'm saying is that it isn't 'just cardboard' that's getting sold.

The average 1:33 kit using up 2 sheets takes about 5 hours to prepare and sometimes longer. Every part needs to be enlarged by .02 mm to make up for the cut width. Every part number needs to be changed to a single line font. Every break in a line needs to be joined, unneeded lines removed and power and speed settings applied. Depending on the type of part (like circles within circles etc) the power and speed needs to be set. It's not as simple as printing as every line made is actually a cut (Darwin can attest to that!) At least when the work is done, it's done and all that has to be done is load the file, do the checks etc.

Then we get down to actual machine costs, electricity, work space, etc etc. I just need to make a decent minimum wage in order to stay home with my wife and don't need much.

What kills everything is the bloody shipping! It literally takes almost 2 weeks to get a small package from Ottawa to almost anywhere in the US.
I had a package sent back to me for being over the stated weight by 45 grams! ( added a extra sheet and forgot to add it in). The 45 gram difference sent the package into another weight class and almost doubled the price from 9.00 to 17.00. In this case, shipping cost for the U-boat is $15.56 to the US and $13.53 in Canada. That doesn't include me packaging it up, the envelope, the pulp board used for protection etc. The cost of that stuff comes out of the set's price

There! That's out I think I came up with a decent price that is obviously lower than the 'other' one and hopefully comfortable for everyone.
It will need to be priced at $35.00 plus $15.00 shipping
Good plan?

Ron
Old 09-11-2013, 01:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.33 MB
Well I'm the one that asked for this....And I'm in.
Once you get your pricing set where you need it let us know when your ready to take orders.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:37 PM

Here it is! kooklik's U-Boat Type VII C in 1:72 scale
Laser Cut Frames - Kooklik Models U-Boat Type VII C 1:72 - Burned Offerings
Here's the link to the model itself at Ecardmodels.com
Search results for: 'kooklik'

Thanks for looking everyone
Ron
Old 09-11-2013, 06:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Even with shipping you're coming in under the other price, can't see anyone complaining about that.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
From what I've seen in the many different beta builds, your laser frames are quite accurate and very useful. That's really good for the community.

I wonder if you are planning to release laser frames for Fitter's Fokker D-VII?
1/33 Aces Udet Candystripe Fokker D.VII Paper Model

The kit would certainly benefit a lot from your product. When I built that D-VII a couple of years ago (link) I had to spend more time than usual cutting them by hand, specially the wing formers. Surely anyone building it in the future would find a laser framing of great help, making life easier.

Kind regards

Google Adsense
Old 09-25-2013, 01:10 PM

Hey Ron I sent you a message through your website directly (John Mark Labbe)
Old 09-27-2013, 10:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 15.61 MB
Hey Ron,

Any plans to do ship's railings? 1:200 would be good.

Thanks,
russ...