PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 06-26-2014, 05:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 470.61 MB
(New) GPM Phantom kit

Saw this one a little while ago; an F-4J. They’ve got a pretty good deal going on with laser formers right now.

F-4J NAVY PHANTOM II Set model and frames •
Attached Thumbnails
(New) GPM Phantom kit-gpm-408-f-4jphii.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-26-2014, 05:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
issues

GPM builds a great phantom kit. There is one issue that is a matter of detail not fit. this probably puts me in the rivet counter class of people but... the wings are the biggest issue. in every model of phantom not based on an F4B they have distinctive bulges at the wing root. these were for the thicker tires that all subsequent models of phantom have. on the halinski and the awful hobby model kit these were reasonably represented. I think the maly kit had the bulges too. there are other small antennae and undernose doodads that could represent different models, and wing slats etc but the biggest is the aforementioned bulge. I looked at the pics on gpm's website and they look flat to me. As stated in the opening, the kit itself is a work of art. the flowing fuselage form is well done, the turkey feather after nozzles are brilliant, even the metallic sections of the aft elevator and tailhook are very neatly done. the canopy looks better than the earlier F4C and E model they have done.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Saw this one on GPM's site a couple of days ago; it does look magnificent.

Wyvern
Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 AM

As far as the MG bay top wing root bulges go, it’s nothing that some modding wouldn’t remedy.

What I’m curious to know is if they have incorporated a central, longeron former for the fuse (unlike they did on their F-4B & E) to help in avoiding the dreaded “banana” fuse.

It looks like a very nice kit with some beautiful details.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:38 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
It's the Nose

I've place an order for the F4J plus frames. GPM could well sell out in a few days - with that I will admit that I am a completely biased Phantom Lover...,

Like Ted, I really appreciate the fuselage envelope design - except the segmented nose which snags the eye ruining the rest of the viewing experience. A bit of bashing with paste, sandpaper, primer and paint matching seems to be in line.

The bump in the wing began when the 4C was required to heft heavier loads including nukes. The wider tire required a "bump" in the under wing surface when landing gear doors were closed (still checking this out). Redesigning gear doors is way easier than getting the fuselage envelope contours right (of course I'll probably live to regret saying this).

One other unknown is the cockpit detail. Be nice to trick them out with open canopies...,

-Gil

Google Adsense
Old 06-26-2014, 04:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post

The bump in the wing began when the 4C was required to heft heavier loads including nukes. The wider tire required a "bump" in the under wing surface when landing gear doors were closed (still checking this out). Redesigning gear doors is way easier than getting the fuselage envelope contours right (of course I'll probably live to regret saying this).

One other unknown is the cockpit detail. Be nice to trick them out with open canopies...,

-Gil

[/CENTER]

-4C
Two-seat all-weather tactical fighter, ground-attack version for the United States Air Force; supported a wide spectrum of weapons including AIM-4 Falcon, AGM-12 Bullpup, and nuclear weapons; wider main wheel tires resulted in distinctive wing bulges

Niki
Old 06-26-2014, 05:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Note that the windshield frame is wrong. There should be no framing visible between the windshield sides and the fuselage.

See Yoav's model in 1/33 scale.

F-4e in blue sky

Isaac
Old 06-26-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post

That would be great to see.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:05 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
ok........ I could be wrong, but I thought the larger tires were on the USAF birds because they used lower pressured tires than the Navy uses.

My Drawings
Old 06-26-2014, 11:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowden View Post
ok........ I could be wrong, but I thought the larger tires were on the USAF birds because they used lower pressured tires than the Navy uses.
F-4J
Improved F-4B version for US Navy and Marines, with emphasis on air-to-air combat capability improvement, which include: J79-GE-10 engines with 17,844 lbf (79.374 kN) of afterburner thrust each, AN/APG-59 pulse doppler radar coupled with the AN/AWG-10 Fire Control System for look-down shoot-down capability, larger main landing gear wheels resulting in wing bulges similar to F-4C
Google Adsense