PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 12-29-2009, 01:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 502.39 MB
New JSC Models

JSC is listing two new ships on their website. First is the raider Atlantis, with three hull disguise schemes as options. Second is a Draf Model of an American sternwheel riverboat.

JSC model

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 12-29-2009, 01:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Is the Draf Model "Western River" the same as the Digital Navy model, just laser cut and less expensive?

WRiver
Old 12-29-2009, 02:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 502.39 MB
I've got no idea; I'm not familiar with it... hopefully someone else can answer.

Wyvern
Old 12-29-2009, 04:05 PM

Roman said it was similar, but not the same as his Digital Navy model. Apparently both are models of a "generic" paddle-wheeler and not of an actual vessel.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
I'm comparing photos of both models, and the only major difference I see between the two models is that Drafmodel omitted the ship's bell and boarding stage at the bow. See for yourself:

WRiver

US river sternwheeler WESTERN RIVER (DM 006)

Doesn't it seem an odd coincidence that while both steamboat models are supposingly based on a "generic Mississippi sternwheeler" and not a specific prototype, the Drafmodel bears an uncanny resemblance to Roman's? Look at the general layout, location of stairwells, steam exhaust stacks and steam chimes, smokestack connector detail, railings and gingerbread decorations on the wheelhouse. They're even in the same 1:100 scale!

And what's the probablity that both publishers would choose the same name, with the same font and anchor decoration?

Frankly, if I had a choice between the two, I'd opt for Digital Navy, despite Drafmodel's lasercut details and price advantage. Besides the previously-mentioned bell and boarding stage, Roman has added details like the barrels and firewood. And I've seen enough old photos of grounded and wrecked steamboats to state that most Mississippi riverboat owners never bothered to paint their bottoms anti-fouling red.

By the way, twin fluted stacks and a high center wheelhouse were hallmarks of a Mississippi River steamboat. The "mountain boats" that braved the shallow upper Missouri had a similar stacks and wheelhouse layout but lacked the massive "wedding cake" superstucture, keeping everything as light as possible for the absolute minimum draft. Steamboats (mostly sternwheelers) on the West Coast (serving the Yukon, Columbia and Sacramento Rivers) usually had a forward wheelhouse and a single stack behind, so the pilot could enjoy unrestricted vision. The famed "Mississippi Riverboat" Delta Queen (recently retired) was actually named after the Sacramento River delta -- she was towed from California through the Panama Canal to New Orleans in 1947, which explains why she doesn't resemble a "traditional" Mississippi sternwheeler.
Google Adsense
Old 12-30-2009, 09:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 53.69 MB
Roman's looks more detailed and real, the Draf model looks a little more simple. Both look good though and depends on how much skill you have for which model you would buy. My opinion anyway.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 24.89 MB
I hope it is a matter of the same basic source plans. A "Western River" is a kind of American sternwheeler, which was common on the rivers of the US West Coast. ISTR seeing that plans set in an ancient Taubman plans catalog, which I have mislaid. Their site doesn't list it now.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NimitzFan View Post
I hope it is a matter of the same basic source plans. A "Western River" is a kind of American sternwheeler, which was common on the rivers of the US West Coast. ISTR seeing that plans set in an ancient Taubman plans catalog, which I have mislaid. Their site doesn't list it now.
I wouldn't be surprised if Taubman had plans for a generic sternwheeler, but the Western River used as the basis for Digital Navy and Drafmodel was definitely a Mississippi River steamboat. As I mentioned earlier, West Coast steamboats were significantly different in appearance. The Columbia River steamers had more ship-like hulls, since many were used as towboats pushing massive log rafts down along the Pacific Coast.

Here's the S.S. Klondike, a typical small Yukon River sternwheeler. Note the foward wheelhouse, single stack and no red underhull:

S.S. Klondike | steamboats.org

The S.S. Bailey Gatzert was a Columbia River sternwheeler. Note her long, narrow hull:

Paddlewheels and Props - Riverboat and Tugboat Plans for Model Builders

Most people have heard of the Delta Queen, but did you know she had a mate? The S.S. Delta King remains in Sacramento:

Delta King | steamboats.org
Old 12-31-2009, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.63 GB
Don't forget that Maly Modelarz produced the Western River first. My sources say that Roman's version is a redraw of that kit. I'm assuming it was for the same reason as his redraw of the Navarin Oslyabya, he liked it, but found the original unbuildable (at least to his high standard!).

Scott K.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:06 AM

The new model is much more detailed - the pictures are of a test model in which there are lots of small details omitted.
Google Adsense