PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 06-19-2010, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Mig-21 Fishbed - 3Turner Models - Thaipaperwork Repaint

I've repainted one of Nobi's Mig-21's into an overall bare metal version which was flown by the US Air Force and US Navy during the late 1960s under a secret project called Have Doughnut. Other projects occuring during the same time were Have Drill and Have Ferry....and all three of which helped pave the way to the US Navy Fighter Weapons School (Top Gun) and the US Air Force Red Flag training schools. The projects were declassified in the late 80's I think and a story about the project ran in the Air Force Magazine recently.

Here are a couple screen caps of the cover and an info sheet included in the kit.

Mig-21 Fishbed - 3Turner Models - Thaipaperwork Repaint-mig-21-f_have-doughnut-coversheet.jpg Mig-21 Fishbed - 3Turner Models - Thaipaperwork Repaint-info-sheet.jpg

The model is in ECardmodels and can be had here: http://ecardmodels.com/shop/product_...2f4a23c4ba807b
Google Adsense
Old 06-19-2010, 02:51 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I'm sorry. Those projects were never declassified. Please turn yourself over to the nearest U.S. government office for debriefing.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 06-19-2010, 02:58 PM

Is that why there are black helicopters flying around outside?
Old 06-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
none here - they must not have found me yet
Old 06-19-2010, 05:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
At the risk of unwanted government attention-was this the Mig-21 that was flown to Isreal by a defector?
Wayne
Google Adsense
Old 06-19-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
none here - they must not have found me yet
They finished up here....I sent them your way:p
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag View Post
At the risk of unwanted government attention-was this the Mig-21 that was flown to Isreal by a defector?
Wayne
I believe it was. Going through the internet, I saw a few different stories. The defector to Isreal was the most repeated story for the Mig 21
Old 06-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
The Israeli MiG-21 was flown by U.S. pilots in the late 60s for evaluation purposes. When completed, the aircraft was returned to Israel. The US was able to obtain three MiG-21s which were used to put one in flying condition. Later, I believe 20 MiG-21s, along with 30 MiG-17 and 10 MiG-19 were acquired from the government of Indonesia.

I had the opportunity of attending Red Flag 85-01 at Nellis, in October 1984. During my three weeks covering the exercise for the 21st TFW from Elmendorf AFB, Alaska, I was exposed to the MiGs there. It was an interesting experience.

For more information on the HAVE DOUGHNUT and other "HAVE" programs operated by the Air Force Systems Command, read the book "Red Eagles: America's Secret MiGs" by Steve Davies. It's available at Amazon here.

I'm halfway through the book, and although I was involved with a lot of DACT, Red Flags, and other dissimilar air combat training, I'm getting a lot of questions I had answered within the pages. And, it's nice read about people I worked for and find out what they did.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I still can't help thinking that HAVE DOUGHNUT is a name that would have been snapped up by law enforcement...:D
Old 06-20-2010, 05:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 713.11 MB
Ashrunner is right on target. I worked at the Nellis AFB Adversary Threat Training Facility (aka "Petting Zoo") from 79-84 as an Intel Reservist. That was a blast!

The designator "HAVE" was the generic AF Systems Command designator for a project. HAVE DOUGHNUT, HAVE BOAT, HAVE PAD, HAVE BOXER were all soviet aircraft exploitation projects. HAVE QUICK was the designator for a frequency hopping radio.

The HAVE DOUGHNUT plane is understood to be the Iraqi defector bird and was returned to its new owners at some point after the joint USAF/USN eval. One of the Navy HAVE DONUT pilots was Adm. Cassidy who recently retired from General Atomics and is considered to be the Father of the Predator / Reaper UAVs. The unit doing these exploitations - at the location that does not exist - belonged to Systems Command (now merged with AF Logistics Cmd in to AF Materiel Command) as a Detachment of the Edwards test organization.

Constant Peg was a TAC program and the MiG-21F's came from Indonesia initially (plus some other goodies like a Mig-19 - now in the AF Museum). Later on, Fishbeds were acquired form China and Egypt. The Fishbed C on outdoor display at Nellis is an Indonesian example that was formerly housed in the Threat Facility.

Steve Davies book is excellent and accurate - don't know how he kept out of jail! :-) I recommend it highly.

What I want to know is: how did you know I wanted a 1/33 Fishbed C ?!?!?! The old hands work better with the larger scales. Many Thanks!!

Rangerdog
Old 06-20-2010, 07:06 PM

Wow, interesting stories Ashrunner and Rangerdog.
Google Adsense