PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 10-13-2011, 02:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.39 MB
Yevstafiy

I would like to introduce you the latest booklet of the Ukrainian Oryol (Bumazhnoe modelirovaniye) publishing house.
It is the flagship of the Black Sea fleet - battleship Yefstafiy (Евстафий = Eustace, Eustachius). It is practically the twin brother of the Potyomkin with an improved armament. It did not last in service for a long time.
1906 : launched
1911 - 1919: service
1922 - disassembled
The front(is) page of the publication is slightly misleading. Even on the official website of the publisher it looks as a DIN A4 format but in reality it is A3 because of the tricky photographing. The usual A4 format picture was placed perpendicularly to the longer rim of the format A3.

When I opened the wrapping I was surprised how kind the publisher was that the model had been packed in an additional protective plastic bag. I opened this bag too and the paper sheets almost fell out - one by one. Thus the apparent kindness was a well-chosen means instead of the usual binding with stapels. If it is the cost efficiency or something else…

The set consists of 15 sheets altogether:
  • 2 pages of the covering
  • 3 pages of thin paper with ribs
  • 1 page of thin paper with colour printing
  • 7 pages of colour printing on the 250 g (or near) paper
  • 2 shiny sheets (four pages) of 3D assembly drawings

The first picture on the publishers’ webiste suggested a white ship but in reality it was published in a quite smooth light grey.
There are cca. 1386 (+/- 2%) parts.
The lines are sharp, the colours are clear, no shadowing was applied. The punctuality of colour edges is correct. I have found minor slips but they are not so apparent.
Improvement was achieved in the language quality of the assembly instructions too. (hopefully in German as well)
The circular boardside windows have been printed with fine bronze rings so the wire bent, home-made DIYs are not necessary.
The wooden decks of the ship are still slightly less realistic but if the assembly proves to be precise it will be another nice vessel to spare the nerves as well as to enrich our collections.
Attached Thumbnails
Yevstafiy-front-cover.jpg   Yevstafiy-deck.jpg   Yevstafiy-ribs.jpg   Yevstafiy-minor-colour-slip.jpg   Yevstafiy-nice-3d-assembly-instructions.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 10-13-2011, 08:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Thank you for sharing this. I am just starting to explore the extraordinary range of models published by the Ukranian Oriol - like Sikorsky's 4 motored Ilya Murometz aircraft. Do you know of a source for these in the United States, or should one order them from the publisher.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Rob, I ordered direct from the publisher who was quick to let me know that I had space in the cheapest post packet for some more models which I promptly addressed and postage to NZ only took ten days - possibly less as I was away for a couple of days and it was waiting for me at home when I got back...highly recommended to deal with...it was the Ilya that I was originally buying so if you have any questions about what's in the 'box' please just ask...construction is pretty much the same as the Wings of Horus Ilya but the artwork and design are different...Simon
Old 10-14-2011, 06:20 AM

Hello Rob,
I will not suggest you any option since I live in Hungary and I cannot take the responsibilty in this sense. XDDD
I can only recommend you this publisher. Their quality is better and better and the products cannot be characterised as expensive.Their biggest problem is rendering the wooden decks. Some are really horrible (eg. BBO Apraksin) becasue it is pure yellow, grrrrrrr.
If you like pre-dreadnoughts ships, build their Russian czarist series. It is magnificent.

Regards,
chris
Old 10-15-2011, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
I can't see the scale on these pictures, but if it's in the range of 1:200 then you should consider glueing thin strips of wood on the deck, and carefully sand it. If necessary, you can put on a layer of varnish. I have shown that technique in the building thread for the MS Oranje in the Ships forum.
Google Adsense
Old 10-16-2011, 09:12 AM

Exactly, the scale is 1:200.
Thanks for the advice scon 10, I have already tried this planking method. But the surface of the paper I used was not probably too coarse so the result became, well, I'd rather not comment it.

Someone who is in friendly terms with the graphic programmes could make for us a freely printable version of the planking on a DIN A4 sheet, something as the structure of the deck of the Admiral Hipper or the Bismarck, both of GPM.

Any volunteeers?

Last edited by kriszme; 10-16-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
How about this?
You can modify it to the size you want with any graphic programme and print it on good paper
Much succes!
Attached Thumbnails
Yevstafiy-deck-structure.jpg  
Old 10-30-2011, 12:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The deck. Most do not like the color of the offered decks publisher friend of mine gave me a deck on the sheets of A4
I use to replace the deck publishers

The result can be seen on the model of Oldenburg
S.M.S Oldenburg Armoured Corvette
Old 11-01-2011, 01:37 PM

Hello Vaviloff,
I am very greateful to you for sharing these three decks.
Is it permitted to spread these sheets non-commercially?
Old 11-01-2011, 03:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello kriszme
I think it is enough that they are placed here Needy can use them
Google Adsense