PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
YF-23 lookalike built for speed by looks of it rather than agility (no canards?) as the article suggested. It could be the controller for a swarm of strike drones, or USA version of PAK-DA?

Early days but a 2025 timeframe to replace a/c such as super hornet was mentioned in wiki article on this subject so not far away, although unlikely, but who knows, might be lots of PAK-FA and J-20 prowling skies by then?

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Old 01-25-2012, 09:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
As far a pilotless drones, see the movie battle for la. The invaders kicked butt up to the point where the command control center was knocked out. Then you have a bunch of high tech super expensive radio shack toys planting themselves into the ground. At least farmers insurance seems to cover that!
Old 01-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
In those movies the redundancy of control is never addressed properly, nor the autonomous nature. The Predator drone has flow missions lasting almost 24 hrs from take off to landing, without any input, and that's now!

Anything that has canards by their nature makes them not (so) stealthy. Canards offer a measure of stability for general aviation as the canard stalls before the main wing make a full stall difficult, but their awful radar signature, regardless of materials used, makes the a feature of the past, which is why many do not consider the J-2- offer by China a true stealthy concept. Then again, in broad daylight, with a trained pilot with good eyes this not an issue as long as the pilot can get close enough. Also, historically the main targets are taken out in the darkest nights and the foulest weather. Lots of variables.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:55 AM

I agree about canards. The article referred to greater speed so I had in back of my mind two big red hot engines as targets kind of defeats point if stealth but a compromise can still be had. The concept is very slimline and with it stwalthy but agility would then be down to advances in materials for structueal integrity, advanced thrust vectoring and advanced fly by wire rather than unstealthy chunks of canard flapping like crazy.
Slightly off topic but the autonomy only goes so far, particularly when it comes to weaons release Im sure. im sure a nuclear armed next gen bomber will be piloted either remotely or manned when it comes down to it.

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Boeing has a couple concepts on the 6th gen as well, interesting article about it:

The Sixth Generation Fighter

And some of those concepts:

And another cool graphic on sample craft from each generation:

Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Google Adsense
Old 01-25-2012, 12:03 PM

The right hand side tailless aircraft reminds me of the X-44 which was a beefed up tailless F-22 or so the rumour mill goes.

Excellent article on the 6th generation cMags.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
cMags

+1 on the article.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Banned

A well written article. I think it is disinformation based on past history. The F-117 flew for 10 years before it was revealed. Why would anyone announce publicly what is meant to be classified. I think the speculation in these articles is fun though and they do lead to great discussions, I don't buy them though.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
I don't buy them though.
Great play on words...looking at Gen-5 prices, I doubt many of us will be buying them...except in paper...
Old 09-07-2012, 11:58 AM

Gee this look familiar

Look up the F-23 by Northrop-Gruman which lost out to the maintenance queen F-22. "De ja vous all over again" so they say

Thongar
Attached Thumbnails
5th Generation Fighter Models-f23-images.jpg   5th Generation Fighter Models-f23-imagescamkosxs.jpg  
Google Adsense