PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 06-18-2012, 02:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
Hobby Model SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1, final build pictures and comments

My build is now officially finished, as the canopy came in today :D Pictures first, then a proper kit review.

Top view of the Jag with the kit cover

Nose view, again with the kit cover

Its really dark, but I like the angle

Front angle view, kit cover in background. If you want to see any more pictures, follow the link and it will take you to my album with all the pictures.

Review:

1st impressions. The kit looks very clean at first glance, no weathering, and very straightforward graphics. The paint scheme is a British version based on Jaguar GR 1.a tail markings XZ356, named Mary Rose, originally from RAF Coltishall, which participated in sorties in the Gulf. Markings were incorrect in a few places, with the "Rescue" stickers being too big, and the front gear door being the wrong color, and lacking the lettering "EP." I scanned the original, and changed the color of the LG door, but that was the extent of my modifications. The build was tough in a few places, such as the fuselage joint just forward of the exhausts. The formers did not fit well, and I ended up settling with an ugly joint. The cockpit lacked detail, as it only had printed side panels, printed instrument panel, and a simple joystick and seat. The fuel tank and bombs were simple, as were the weapons pylons. The landing gear was very simplistic, especially when compared to the FlyModel version, but they did the job. Once I finished with the fuselage, my only major issue afterwards was fitting the wings on. The internal ribbing for the wing is lacking real structure, as it relies on simple spars to hold the wing to its proper shape. I managed to glue both wings without any major issues, and you have to look to see problems. Model Quality-6.5/10. Easy of Build-6/10. If you love this plane, especially in this paint scheme, and would consider yourself a competent builder, then go for it if you can find it. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend trying it, as the fit issues are fairly obvious as the build progresses.

Thanks!

Barry
Google Adsense
Old 06-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Very nice Jaguar build. Very clean. Looking at that model it’s hard to think it’s paper. This hobby is so un-real. It just keeps blowing my mind. Thank cmdr. Sweet! wc
Old 07-15-2012, 08:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
Exclamation

Quote:
If you want to see any more pictures, follow the link and it will take you to my album with all the pictures.
Forgive me, but I can't find a link!
Old 07-15-2012, 08:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernoullis View Post
Forgive me, but I can't find a link!
If you click the yellow bar at the top of one of the pictures, it will give you a link to the photo. Delete the info at the end of the link "name of photo.jpg" and then you will have a link to the gallery.
Pictures by cmdr199212 - Photobucket
Old 07-15-2012, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
Very nice build. Like you I find the older Hobby model kits to be lousy fits at best. I repainted the F4E they had spent hours making a cool SEA scheme with weathering, printed out the kit and had fit problems from the start. Basic ones too, wheel wells being wrongly shaped and too small, gun trough and parts not even lining up, then the last straw the fuselage sections wouldn't fit from one bulkhead to the next. I just trashed the whole lot and threw everything in the fireplace. I had the same issues with the Cutlass kit they had. Hope the more modern Hobby models are better!
Google Adsense
Old 07-15-2012, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
The fit was pretty lousy, but I managed to build it without any significant mods, which both makes me proud of the accomplished model, and proves that it is possible. My only problem really is that the older Hobby Model kits are some of the most interesting and cool looking aircraft, and often the only model of its kind #1stworldproblems
Old 07-15-2012, 04:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
I agree. They have some great early jets, the crusader, the gutlass, early eurofighters, shame they need work. there is a thread here on the site about the Kfir model they offer and the woes he had to go thru to build her. Other than the IAF magazine offerings I don't think anyone makes a Kfir.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
cmdr19921, I was looking at your builds on your Photobucket. OMG, those are some of the best I have seen. The Sky Hawk with the toe tractor was really sweet. I hope you didn’t mind me looking through all those pages. There are some great building tips there as you go through each build. Very nice photo gallery, great models.wc
Old 07-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Eternal Member

Modeling Companies that go out of business.

On a different subject. Modeling Companies that go out of business.
I understand and couldn't agree more about the subject of pirating modeling. I would never give way a model that someone was selling. That’s just wrong. But let's say you bought a model and before you started cutting it from the pages, you scanned it. So if you screw up you have a back up plan. But now that company is gone out of business and you have one of there models. How do you feel about sharing this model now. I wouldn’t sell it because it’s not mine to sell. But giving it away free? Any ideas on this? Just throwing this idea out there. wc
Old 07-17-2012, 11:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Barry I liked the dark photo as well, so much so that I decided to torture it just a bit with MS Office Picture Manager. Here's the result.

I think it has POTW potential.

Curt
Google Adsense