PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 06-10-2009, 08:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Darwin,

I assume you ordered this kit online? I couldn't resist the 1/32 Ilya Murometz but although the transaction seemed to go through Paypal OK, no links to the download have turned up - did yours arrive automatically or did you have to do something else to egt the kit post-transaction?

Simon
Old 06-10-2009, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
I think a download link was sent via email, but can't remember for sure. It never hurts to contact the vendor and ask.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Thanks - I have done that also but while waiting for a response, thoguht I might check just to see if perhaps I had missed something that I had to do...
Old 06-11-2009, 03:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.65 GB
Simon,
Don't feel alone. I ordered the DR1 yesterday and didn't receive an e-mailed link either. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:33 PM

I received the DR1 just a few minutes ago. You're right Darwin, definately worth the price of admission..

Last edited by zot; 06-12-2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Deleted unnecessary content
Google Adsense
Old 06-12-2009, 03:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I am glad you got yours zot, however mine seems to be in limbo, Horus, how about clarification on how your site works, according to your instructions when I pay w/credit card, download is within the hour, you do however say can take up to 24 hours. I understand the time delay, but after the 24 hours, I should have!
Old 06-12-2009, 04:28 PM

Try contacting Marcus at the editor@ email address on the website. As I was typing the earlier post, he wrote me to explain that he had been away for a few days and came back to find that the automated system wasn't working properly. Hopefully he'll get everything cleared up.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.77 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to horus
Unhappy

Hi guys,

I'm sad to hear that some of you have had problems getting your kits.
When the kit purchase process goes smoothly then kits can be served out within a few seconds of a verified sale, theoretically at least. Basically the process goes like this:
1. the Paperwarbirds.com server contacts the payment provider's server over a secure encrypted line and says something like "Hey, Paypal server! I got this order from John Doe for a bunch of stuff for this amount of money. Is he good for it?"
2. Payment providers server says to Paperwarbirds.com server "hang on while I check out John Doe's credentials."
3 "OK" says Paperwarbirds server and waits for the credit card or paypal verification.
4. If the transaction is authorized the the payment server does a few things all at once. It debits the customers account and credits ours, or puts the money in a suspense account. It then sends out a message to the Paperwarbirds.com server and says "Hey Paperwarbirds.com server, wake up! John Doe is good for the cash, I'll transfer the money, then you send him the access codes and download links".
5. The paperwarbirds server hears the payment provider server and provided the customer hits the "return to Paperwarbirds.com link then our server sends out a web page to the active browser session with the appropriate downlaod and access code information.
6. sometimes people's use the back button instead of the "return to Paperwarbirds.com link. To cater for this Backup plan 1, sends the customer an email with identical information using a template and script. This can be delayed by server load or other "network issues" by an hour or two.
7. Sometimes the server communication gets to the point where money changes hands, but the automatic systems fail for some reason or other. In such cases I act as catcher for any orders not processed automatically by the shopping cart software and manually matche paypal or credit card receipts with transaction numbers, shop invoices and manually transfer any customer information within the shopping cart or if necessary using other distribution methods.
This has worked well for the majority of sales, until this week.
I have had a series of technical issues to resolve with servers, websites, hosting services, backups and other stuff after the web hosting service we use for Paperwarbirds.com performed a planned upgrade on our account and moved all our site, models included to a new load balanced server cluster. It's a difficult job to move a website, all its databases and other settings at the best of times and unfortunately some of the finer points setting the call back URLS for the credit card processing company and paypal got unset, causing the shop robots to know only that a bunch of kits had been ordered, monies had been paid to us , but not to whom the kits should be served out. Several customers were affected with a long wait. I compounded the issue by forgetting to shut the shop while I took the kids away for a couple of days, so I wasn't around to play catcher for the shop robots. I apologize for this delay, and I am in the process of contacting all the folks affected to offer them a kit on the house.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:03 PM

Just a note to let all know that Horus did just as he said, corrected the problem, received two of the most detailed kits I have downloaded of AC and just as he said, a free kit to boot. :DRick
Old 06-12-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
I just finished printing out the new Pfalz DR1 kit from Wings of Horus. This kit is truly an OMG experience....he's not kidding when he says the engine and Spandau machine gun are at the cutting edge of cardstock technology. The engine alone has about 200 parts, and truly is a model unto itself. However, as fiddly as are the bits, I doubt many will be made in 1/32 scale as designed.

The kit contains 10 pages of instructions and six pages of parts, with some of the parts pages duplicated to provide two colorings of the model (white and varnished linen). As if that wasn't enough, two pdf files are included, one sized for A4, the other for US letter....no twiddling printer settings needed. As well, the pdf files are not locked, so enlarging/recoloring the kit is dirt easy. The textures used to represent the plywood parts are excellent, and the shading of the linen skins are very nicely done. The only part of the print quality that some modellers might pick nits over is lack of weathering....however, if one wishes the model to look grungy, just go old school and brush on the grunge with oil pastels or whatever.

This kit is definitely NOT for beginners, and the bits are so fiddly that even the most experienced among us will be challenged in 1/32 scale as designed. For us mere mortals, I suspect some photoshop enlarging sessions will be in order. Fortunately, the parts are so well detailed that 1/16 scale will look better than most kits do when built without scale manipulation. As for the engine....even at 1/16 scale, I suspect it will be a challenge. The good news is that it should be possible to enlarge it to 1/8 scale to use as a stand-alone model, but some serious scratchbuilding would be needed to do the exhaust headers for that large a model. The good news here is that the instructions are in English, and lavishly illustrated with line drawings and 3D screenshots. The only changes I would suggest would be to add a bit more detail on installing the middle wing and include a photo or two (if not a separate little set of parts/instructions) of the various jigs the instructions mention for construction aids.

All things considered, this kit definitely belongs in your stash...if for no other reason, to give inspiration of the "someday I'll be skilled enough to build this puppy" type. If Marcus says it will be ok with him, I'll add a few photos from the instruction portion....however, I think he would be better served by making a pdf file of the instructions and posting them on his website. Well done, Marcus....this is an example of the best the hobby has to offer.
Sorry for taking your post to another direction, but I also downloaded this kit and a bomber today and just as you have describe, WOW. If your into WW1 aircraft, check this site out. I will watch for your build thread. :DRick
Google Adsense