PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 03-04-2009, 01:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
WOH Pfalz DR1

I just finished printing out the new Pfalz DR1 kit from Wings of Horus. This kit is truly an OMG experience....he's not kidding when he says the engine and Spandau machine gun are at the cutting edge of cardstock technology. The engine alone has about 200 parts, and truly is a model unto itself. However, as fiddly as are the bits, I doubt many will be made in 1/32 scale as designed.

The kit contains 10 pages of instructions and six pages of parts, with some of the parts pages duplicated to provide two colorings of the model (white and varnished linen). As if that wasn't enough, two pdf files are included, one sized for A4, the other for US letter....no twiddling printer settings needed. As well, the pdf files are not locked, so enlarging/recoloring the kit is dirt easy. The textures used to represent the plywood parts are excellent, and the shading of the linen skins are very nicely done. The only part of the print quality that some modellers might pick nits over is lack of weathering....however, if one wishes the model to look grungy, just go old school and brush on the grunge with oil pastels or whatever.

This kit is definitely NOT for beginners, and the bits are so fiddly that even the most experienced among us will be challenged in 1/32 scale as designed. For us mere mortals, I suspect some photoshop enlarging sessions will be in order. Fortunately, the parts are so well detailed that 1/16 scale will look better than most kits do when built without scale manipulation. As for the engine....even at 1/16 scale, I suspect it will be a challenge. The good news is that it should be possible to enlarge it to 1/8 scale to use as a stand-alone model, but some serious scratchbuilding would be needed to do the exhaust headers for that large a model. The good news here is that the instructions are in English, and lavishly illustrated with line drawings and 3D screenshots. The only changes I would suggest would be to add a bit more detail on installing the middle wing and include a photo or two (if not a separate little set of parts/instructions) of the various jigs the instructions mention for construction aids.

All things considered, this kit definitely belongs in your stash...if for no other reason, to give inspiration of the "someday I'll be skilled enough to build this puppy" type. If Marcus says it will be ok with him, I'll add a few photos from the instruction portion....however, I think he would be better served by making a pdf file of the instructions and posting them on his website. Well done, Marcus....this is an example of the best the hobby has to offer.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
You are wetting our appetites here. In due course, a few appropriate samples perhaps?

I appreciate your suggestion for rescaling, and join in the applause for unlocked pdf-files! Also, I'm thinking that perhaps the exhaust headers could be made using the layered-prop technique...? (Going out on a limb here, not even having seen the parts in question.)

Having a look at the instructions would be wonderful - that really is the best appetite-wetter of them all!

Leif
Old 03-04-2009, 01:44 PM

I'll go ahead and risk Marcus' ire and post some cuts from his work without expressed permission....he seems to be a nice enough guy that the risk should be minimal. :o(And, for the real reason, I forgot that with my computer setup, the only way I can get image posting to work is to use firefox instead of internet explorer....so I changed browsers after the initial post.)
WOH Pfalz DR1-illus-1.jpg

WOH Pfalz DR1-illus-2.jpg

WOH Pfalz DR1-illus-3.jpg

WOH Pfalz DR1-illus-4.jpg
Old 03-04-2009, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
Well I hope he won't be too mad, because after seeing these shots you posted I'm off to purchase my copy. Bought the "Sopwith Scooter" last week, and that is another beauty..
Old 03-04-2009, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
This is really impressive! Also, so are the bundle prices on the other kits - has anyone built any of those?
Old 03-04-2009, 05:48 PM

I am impressed. Almost to the point of a certain sadness. What is there left to wish for, to imagine, to phantasize about being able to do, if only...

Nowadays, it's there already, it seems.

Don't take any notice. This is very good!

Leif

PS. Did Marcus design this himself, or is there someone else behind this new piece de résistance?

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 03-04-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:58 PM

Leif, from his post on Zealot, I got the impression that he had designed this little gem himself. What else is there to wish for? Either younger eyes or longer arms, and steadier hands come to mind.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.77 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to horus
Hi Guys,

I'm very glad you like my kit.
Yup, I designed it, all without adult supervision.
I tried to take on board all the coments made about previous offerings from WOH and implement them into this kit. Great Idea Darwin BTW about the instructions. I have posted the full instructions on my website as a free download. I'm always happy to consider any suggestions to make a kit more appealing, which is why you get a US letter and A4 kit in the same bundle. I think I'll do this from now on. I'll probably do a supplementary sheet of jig templates for the Pfalz DR1 as time allows.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:40 PM

Thank you Marcus,

for the instructions, and for the extreme effort of designing this model. The instructions really show up a superb model, and are wonderful to read as such. I appreciate your tips about using different diameters of wires for parts that would be near impossible otherwise, like the exhaust manifolds. Also the readiness to prepare for 1/16 building. The wood and canvas version looks beautiful, and is a most attractive option.

Leif

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 03-06-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Welcome to the board Horus - always glad to have more designers contributing to our little community here
The kit looks very nice. I added it to my want list.