PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 03-29-2014, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Handley Page Halifax 1:33, MM 2010.4-6

I just had an opportunity to take a closer look at the Maly Modelarz 2010 version of the Handley Page Halifax bomber in 1/33 scale. It is an impressive kit, of a quality that merits mentioning. Judging from Slawomir's (Modellservice) description the kit weighs in at just under half a kilo (one pound), and at 54 pages it is classed as a triple issue (4-6 2010) of the MM line.

Rather than waisting a lot of words about the quality, I think a few sample pages will make it clear that this really is an extraordinary effort by the designer Zbigniew Salapa.

Above: Already from an overview of the model you will notice the amount of details (look at the open bomb hatches, and Merlin engines).

Above: This becomes even more evident, as you study the instructions for the cockpit!

Above: The degree of color fidelity should be possible to determine from this sample of a typical parts page. In my view it is excellent.

Finally, here's what the kit looks like, what the earlier 1994 MM version of the Halifax (1:50, don't mix them up!), and what the Fly Model Halifax (1:33, by Tadeusz Grzelczak) look like:

Handley Page Halifax 1:33, MM 2010.4-6-04-cover.jpg Handley Page Halifax 1:33, MM 2010.4-6-05-mm-1994.jpg Handley Page Halifax 1:33, MM 2010.4-6-06-fly-model-1995.jpg

The two latter ones are of far inferior quality, simply another earlier generation of paper models. However, you may want to have a look at Deckape's build of the Fly Model Halifax to see that much could be achieved also with the Fly Model kit. But go for the 2010 MM one!

There is a build thread of the new MM kit at Konradus, by "Wojtek". Certainly worth studying.

Here are the two standard ways to learn more about the Halifax:
Wikipedia
Google image search

Who, I wonder, will be inspired enought by this glimpse into the fantastic MM kit to get one, build it, and report the build?

- Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Handley Page Halifax 1:33, MM 2010.4-6-01-overview.jpg   Handley Page Halifax 1:33, MM 2010.4-6-02-cockpit-instr.jpg   Handley Page Halifax 1:33, MM 2010.4-6-03-parts-sample.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 03-29-2014 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Correcting idiotic pound mistake (thanks Rick!), adding Konradus link
Google Adsense
Old 03-29-2014, 09:45 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
actually Leif, half a kilo is just over 1 pound which is 454 grams to be precise
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 03-29-2014, 09:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This looks like an excellent model of a historic aircraft, Leif.

MM have come a long way snce the days of Old Troll's Has Anyone Ever Actually Built That contest, during which I built the Horrible Hampden, which I still trot out for display at the annual International Paper Modelers Convention and Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days.

I am tempted to buy this Halifax for the collection, although it would be a major investment and I will almost certainly never try to build it.

(Mental image of Leif Ohlsson building this model in 1/16 scale, having rented an abandoned warehouse in order to have space for the project and having purloined four electric fan motors to make the propellors spin.)

Don
Old 03-29-2014, 10:06 AM

Thanks Rick, made the correction in the post. Glad you're on your toes!

Don, returning to your Hampden build actually was the occassion of my finding the Halifax model. I was looking for a Hampden, but I found no better than the one you built very well.

Above: While looking, I found an example at the Konradus site of one talented builder who managed to make something extraordinary out of that same rather meagre kit.

Making something out of the old MM Hampden would be something. As you know, the Swedish Air Force had one (1), which was registered with a civilian registration after WWII and continued for a decade or so as a testbed for avionics at the time:

Above: The one and only Swedish Hampden in civil registration after the war.
Attached Thumbnails
Handley Page Halifax 1:33, MM 2010.4-6-se-apd.jpg   Handley Page Halifax 1:33, MM 2010.4-6-hampden-konradus.jpg  
Old 03-29-2014, 11:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Looks like a beautifully designed, detailed model, Leif. Thanks for sharing this.

Deck Ape sid make a fine build out of the Fly Model kit!

I echo Don's thought of you building this a 1:16!

Joe
Old 03-29-2014, 11:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
I'm tempted.

It's not expensive and there is a glazing and wheel set available.

It would make a great show-piece. Don't really have anywhere to store it short of keeping it in my loft.

Tim
Old 03-29-2014, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 209.22 MB
Hello Leif,

Quote:
Leif Ohlsson

Who, I wonder, will be inspired enought by this glimpse into the fantastic MM kit to get one, build it, and report the build?

That's a very good question, but what you didn't show are the instructions drawings for the bomb bay. It is a incredible handcraft necessary for doing this without lasercuts and the builder has to be familiar with wire.

This kit is, in my personal ranking, the second most complicated kit after microarts (cyana) crawler kit.

Greetings
peaceglue
Old 03-29-2014, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Crowe View Post
I'm tempted.

It's not expensive and there is a glazing and wheel set available.

It would make a great show-piece. Don't really have anywhere to store it short of keeping it in my loft.

Tim
Go for it, Tim! With your skills this would come out great and I'm sure be an educational build thread.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:18 AM

Sorry, Peaceglue, here's the requested instructions page for the bomb bay, so that we're all on the same page (sic!):

And I will take your word for it that this may well be the second most complicated kit out there. Although there is a set of laser-cut parts, and of course the option of building it with bomb bay doors closed, like most other models of this kind. But then you wouldn't see all those nice details you've gone to such trouble to bend and cut and put in place like a complicated egg crate...

- L.

PS. Translating the Konradus build thread I found that the builder had abandoned the attempt. Says it's because the model somehow had disappeared or gone up in flames during a prolonged absence. Not ruling spontaneous combustion out, one cannot but wonder about the reason for such an absence. There seems to be a story behind the unspecified, but obviously harsh, treatment someone inflicted on the half-finished model while the builder was gone for a prolonged period...
Attached Thumbnails
Handley Page Halifax 1:33, MM 2010.4-6-07-bomb-bay-instr.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 03-30-2014 at 01:30 AM. Reason: speculating
Old 09-28-2014, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post

- Leif
I'm not sure about building it yet, Leif, but your review certainly pushed me over the edge to asking if it was still available on planenut007's disposals list...I'm just sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to hear back from him...
Google Adsense